Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 1st ever New York 'derby'

New York Red Bulls v NYCFC just about to kick off, interesting to see whether a rivalry can just be created.

SWP BWP and Lloyd Sam both starting for Red Bulls, live on Sky in the UK and Fox Sports in the US.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for letting us know, should be interesting!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    1-0 to Red Bulls already....a goal born out of SE7! Sam Crosses and BWP on the volley finishes
  • Options
    Bwp?
  • Options
    Haha yes, getting my WP's mixed up. Bradley of course.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

1-0 to Red Bulls already....a goal born out of SE7! Sam Crosses and BWP on the volley finishes

Obviously his wages is probably huge in the MLS but do you reckon BWP could do a job in the Championship?
  • Options
    He only became a "designated player" this season, meaning his wages up to this point have been low. Even with being a designated player, he may not be on big money by English standards.

Lloyd Sam played a big part in both goals and played the full 90 mins (unlike BWP). He was also an influential part of the team last season when BWP and Thierry Henry were getting all the headlines.

Both players have turned 30 in the last year so, while I think they could offer something in the Championship, I'm not sure they could take Charlton forward from where they are now.

Final thought: David Villa, as one of the designated players for NYCFC, was underwhelming tonight and looked like he didn't want to be there. It will be interesting to see how motivated Lampard and Gerrard look when they are playing in the MLS.
  • Options
    What size crowd did they get for this "derby"??
  • Options
    25,000 - a sellout. Most MLS stadiums are now soccer-specific (rather than sharing with American Football), and the capacities reflect that. Better to have a full stadium than a half empty one while the sport is growing. Both New York teams have struggled with good attendance this season, but many other clubs sell almost every seat for each game. I believe that the average attendance across the league was over 20,000 last season, which is a steady improvement.
  • Options
    What were the trains like, electric or diesel? Any engineering works?
  • Options
    What were the chips like?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not sure it would be the first New York derby. I am fairly sure that I have read football (or, soccer, if you must) was played extensively up to the time of the 1st World War or thereabouts, then it suddenly faded out. I expect that there has been another derby game in that case.
  • Options
    BWP was on $372k (approx £5k per week) - Lloyd Sam by comparison was on about one third if this amount.

I'm guessing it's topped up by housing allowances etc.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be a "subway" game rather than a "derby"
  • Options

Wouldn't it be a "subway" game rather than a "derby"

Red Bulls are actually based in New Jersey, so I'm not entirely convinced it's either, other than for marketing purposes of course !