Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Football League signs ground-breaking deals with Channel 5 and ITN Productions

Comments

• Options
    Interesting, let's give them a chance.
  • Options
    As long as Peter Beagrie is not one of the analysts.
  • Options
    Bring on the adverts
  • Options
    adverts are gonna be a killer .so when they say a 90 minute program they actually mean 75.
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

adverts are gonna be a killer .so when they say a 90 minute program they actually mean 75.

Maybe that is what is gonna replace the studio talk.
  • Options
    No high definition for us ariel-based proles.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

As long as Peter Beagrie is not one of the analysts.

Townsend is available again
  • Options
    Does this mean we might get more than the BBC's standard 11 seconds occasionally?

And we won't have Mannish ignoring us as usual?

I'm all for it!
  • Options
    It will still be good after coming home late from a long distance away game to see the goals on the Saturday night after recording it.
  • Options

Bring on the adverts

Yep. Those adverts that partially pay for the programming to be made in the first place.

;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if this means no more screeching Steve Claridge, I am all for it .. but yet another nail in the BBC popular TV coffin
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Wonder if C5 can make 9pm on a Saturday work - The Premiership at 7pm was a disaster for ITV.

if this means no more screeching Steve Claridge, I am all for it .. but yet another nail in the BBC popular TV coffin

Not really sure if the BBC will be that bothered about losing rights to a league they'd shunted to a late night slot and had clearly lost interest in.
  • Options

Not sure the BBC could be said to have treated it as popular, shunting it away til around midnight most weeks & staffing it with a load of, mostly, analytic pains!
  • Options
    Sounds good -
  • Options
    Think it will lead to a big drop in viewership. Most football fans (non Charlton) I know would watch Football League Show as it would just come on after Match of The Day and would catch them as bit of a pleasant surprise that there is more football to watch.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Think it will lead to a big drop in viewership. Most football fans (non Charlton) I know would watch Football League Show as it would just come on after Match of The Day and would catch them as bit of a pleasant surprise that there is more football to watch.

Quite possibly, but now they can watch it before MOTD.
  • Options
    So ITN are producing the highlights to be shown on C5.

We won't see any more league football. The BBC show is 80m long & this is 90 with probably 15m of adverts.

I'm pleased it starts at 9pm. Just hope it isn't Andy Townsend. But we know it will be.
  • Options
    This annoys me because as much as I disliked the FL show, at least if I miss it, iPlayer was a fairly painless experience. The other channels catch-up websites are pretty horrible by comparison. I don't have Sky+ or any other fancy bollocks either to record it.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

This annoys me because as much as I disliked the FL show, at least if I miss it, iPlayer was a fairly painless experience. The other channels catch-up websites are pretty horrible by comparison. I don't have Sky+ or any other fancy bollocks either to record it.

From the ex-pat point of view, could not agree more. The BBC iplayer is streets ahead of the commercial versions.

Personally I would have preferred more live matches as highlights are much of a muchness, whoever delivers them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope it is a success and leads them to bid for live matches.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Tbh yes, the ITV, C4 and C5 versions on iPlayer take ages. You have to sit through the same ads several times it's pretty easy to grow a beard in that time. Seriously though the best thing is with ITV C4 or C5 is to play all the ads first scroll through the programme because once all the ads have been played you can watch the whole thing uninterupted.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Tbh yes, the ITV, C4 and C5 versions on iPlayer take ages. You have to sit through the same ads several times it's pretty easy to grow a beard in that time. Seriously though the best thing is with ITV C4 or C5 is to play all the ads first scroll through the programme because once all the ads have been played you can watch the whole thing uninterupted.
    I don't mind the ads to be honest, the issue I have is if the browser crashes or an advert fails to load, which happens fairly often, you have to refresh the browser to get it working again, meaning you have to rewatch all the adverts. At least I have this problem with Channel 4's one. I tried once with ITV and gave up because it kept not working and to be honest there's nothing on ITV or C5 worth watching anyway.
  • Options
    The adverts will put me off, I used to record the FLS and then watch it Sunday morn or watch on iplayer. I suppose i could sky+ it and cut out the adverts, but I reckon it will be back with the BBC in 3 years time.
  • Options
    I feel Dreadzone will be making a come back!
  • Options
    If you have it recorded on a digital TV recorder it's just about ok. You fast forward through the adverts. Well forward through them anyway. Even when you forwarding through ads a x32 or x64 you still think it's taking bloody ages. How many more adverts?
  • Options

I feel Dreadzone will be making a come back!

Oh yeah, I remember the days with little internet, no SSN and FL Player having to wait till tuesady morning or very late monday night (if I could stay awake) having to see Saturday's goals.

When you say there was no this this and no that and no the the other when I was reffering to internet, SSN and FL player that is when you know you are getting old.
  • Options
    There are more live championship games on Sky next year. There will be 87 games broadcast next season as opposed to 50 this season.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Again, I agree entirely. Last night we were getting the soundtrack of one ad over another as well as the terminal wait because I had no desire to get up and "click for the version of the ad I prefer".

What kind of sad case actually does that? Or "click[s] on the ad for an extended version" ?

• Options
    One critical omission from the FL's statement is the actual duration of action that will be shown in this 90 minute slot. With 7 minutes of adverts permitted per hour of broadcast, in and out credits plus waffle, there won't be more than 70 minutes of space for coverage and 'punditry'. ITV's big problem with their terrible premier league program was the tiny amount of action they actually paid to show. On a typical Saturday with 34 or 35 games having taken place so far that weekend if any team routinely gets more than 90 seconds coverage it will mean some sides getting none at all. The adverts thing is a red herring we will always record at broadcast time to watch with finger over the >> button later or on Sunday. Of marginally greater interest will be the presenters and pundits but they too vanish under the >> Good move by 5ive cos this will be its biggest program by far even if nobody actually watches it 'live'. All of which only really matters if Charlton embark on a 100 goals scored season ('goals for' that is)