Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Programme sellers.

Well I saw one today, with a queue of about 50 in front of them. Do we no longer want to sell programmes any more?, I thought they provided income, but it appears that we can no longer be bothered to hire enough people to sell them. We used to have two or three sellers approaching the ground, and around the club shop, some near the car park and various in the concourses, now just one seller (who wasnt exactly busting a gut) in total.

I Eventually bought mine from the club shop, which no doubt means that people buying club merchandise are getting put off themselves by the size of the queue. I cant see how the club finances have improved from getting rid of the previous sellers. At least the Voice sellers, who are available, had the chance to take the mick out of the present situation.

Comments

• I buy the first and last programme of the season, they really have to sort out the selling of these next year, stupid queues
  • People aren't buying them anymore. Print runs going down every year.
  • Programmes will always be a part of English football, unlike in a lot of countries abroad.

• I stoped buying them about 5 years ago, as you can find all the information on the internet plus they take up to much room. I have 100s in my dads loft in boxes.
  • I stoped buying them about 5 years ago, as you can find all the information on the internet plus they take up to much room. I have 100s in my dads loft in boxes.

I collect programmes.

Depending on what years you had I'd be interested in taking a few off your hands.

Inbox me if you're interested.
  • Saw a girl outside the North Stand telling someone she had sold out, but they could by one inside the East and West Stands :-)
  • masicat said:

People aren't buying them anymore. Print runs going down every year.

Plenty of people wanting to buy them yesterday with no sellers about.

I arrived at tthe ground at 10am and a steady stream of Both sets of supporters were arriving for the game, and looking for programmes.

A missed opportunity from a selling point and in my opinion something the club should look into.
  • They were sold out in the ground. About time they did an e-program for iPad. I like getting it for half time although never keep them
  • Huge mistake by the club dismissing the previous company that assisted selling programmes on a matchday. If the idea was to save money, then surly that has backfired with less programmes now being sold due to the lack of sellers. Very shoddy
  • I saw the queue and kept walking. There's always a couple make sellers without a queue, I figured. These people are foolish! But I kept walking. And kept walking. Turned around, went back and joined the queue.
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

I saw the queue and kept walking. There's always a couple make sellers without a queue, I figured. These people are foolish! But I kept walking. And kept walking. Turned around, went back and joined the queue.

Lol what idiot would do that? Oh yes me!
  • I got there late so didn't get a programme. I think this is the first game I've ever been to that I haven't got a programme for.
    And because I was late I didn't get a cup of tea or something to eat in the ground.
    Saved me about £7 I suppose and I didn't miss the programme or the food. So perhaps there is a silver lining for me, it's going to be cheaper to go to games in future :-)
  • edited May 2015
    iainment said:

I got there late so didn't get a programme. I think this is the first game I've ever been to that I haven't got a programme for.
    And because I was late I didn't get a cup of tea or something to eat in the ground.
    Saved me about £7 I suppose and I didn't miss the programme or the food. So perhaps there is a silver lining for me, it's going to be cheaper to go to games in future :-)

Same here I've got a programme for every game I've been to in the fifteen years since I started going at the age of five! Except for this year when out of the 17? I think games I've been to I've only got nine programmes...
  • big queues outside the ground but I got mine inside at the bottom of the East Stand where there were no queues
  • From the design of the magazine itself, to the features within, tell us what you thought and how it could be improved.

Do you want to see more or less historical content? Should more space be given to the academy? Were you a fan of the club's first ever sticker album and would you like to see a repeat or something familiar? Are you happy with the name 'Valley Review' or do you think it could do with a re-brand?

Get in contact by emailing Valley.Review@cafc.co.uk with your opinions and suggestions to help Charlton bring you a programme to be proud of.

Meanwhile, the club have plans in place to rectify the issues some supporters had with purchasing their copy of Valley Review on a matchday and next season will see more visable sellers dotted in and around the ground to make sure supporters do not miss out.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-valley-review-2472660.aspx#9SLQAiHL7gWEBWKQ.99

• I gave some feedback on content, but basically said I won't be buying one in future, as there is little added value for me over what we get online (either prior to the game, or a few days afterwards)...and because it was tough to find one being sold on match-days!
  • PL54 said:

From the design of the magazine itself, to the features within, tell us what you thought and how it could be improved.

Do you want to see more or less historical content? Should more space be given to the academy? Were you a fan of the club's first ever sticker album and would you like to see a repeat or something familiar? Are you happy with the name 'Valley Review' or do you think it could do with a re-brand?

Get in contact by emailing Valley.Review@cafc.co.uk with your opinions and suggestions to help Charlton bring you a programme to be proud of.

Meanwhile, the club have plans in place to rectify the issues some supporters had with purchasing their copy of Valley Review on a matchday and next season will see more visable sellers dotted in and around the ground to make sure supporters do not miss out.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-valley-review-2472660.aspx#9SLQAiHL7gWEBWKQ.99

Oh you mean like I did with the previous CEO...... Steve Bradshaw, a couple of years ago.?

One of the issues was....... why do we produce a publication that was not a standard size.?, at least different to other programmes......
    So I produced a 'landscape' cover...... see below
    For some reason the printers got changed ( who I thought did a great job) who published most of the other league's programmes, including Arsenal.
    I suggested a more visual approach, with some large photos, and less black backgrounds with white small type ( readability)
    I did not focus on the content, and thought the team at the time producing this thought it was constructive.( at least they emailed me that)
    Of course I am rather biased being a print designer, and feel that the programme is a key contact with the supporters.
    As important as web and other social media is part of the communication with the supporters, print still has a n important part to play. I think overall the team deliver a good magazine.

Of course I am biased towards print, as I design the trust news. I have found the comms team helpful and constructive, probably in the circumstances a bit difficult at times. I hope they are given the resources to produce effective communication with the fan's. It is very important in my opinion.
  • PL54 said:

From the design of the magazine itself, to the features within, tell us what you thought and how it could be improved.

I suggested a more visual approach, with some large photos, and less black backgrounds with white small type ( readability)

You are dead right on this aspect Ken. Some of the small text against a black or red background is very difficult to read for some of us wrinklies. I'm guessing that the background is printed and the "white" lettering is actually merely blank without ink but that seems to create blurred edges to the text? The Bournemouth programme seemed particularly bad in that respect. I'd assume ink-bleed or plate misalignment but why put yourself up for these problems in the first place?
  • the quality of the actual sellers has improved though ;-))
  • Sponsored links:

• Hear hear.
  • the quality of the actual sellers has improved though ;-))

I think it is quite shabby on the club's part.

I think there was an agenda to bring in young and pretty girls to (try)and flog the programmes.
  • and?

Tacky, cheap and classless.
  • edited July 2015
    For some reason that I now don't remember, I decided to go for the pre-pay voucher option for next season.
    And guess what? The booklet arrived this morning - recorded delivery! The booklet number is well into six figures, so I guess they've sold a lot of these :wink:
    Anyway, it might work out quite well as (and I don't recall that they advertised this) it includes programmes for up to 4 home cup games.
    Another thing is that the T&Cs say you can order a missing programme from the ticket office if you send in the voucher.
  • Incidentally, have the club said anything on resolving the shambles of last season, which created a lot of unnecessary bad will?
  • Incidentally, have the club said anything on resolving the shambles of last season, which created a lot of unnecessary bad will?

Next Wednesday evening is the date for the close season FF meeting, killerandflash and I'm sure there will be an update at that point.

Next Wednesday evening is the date for the close season FF meeting, killerandflash and I'm sure there will be an update at that point.

Thanks for trying Fanny, but it is ridiculous this situation has gone on for at least 8 months. It is a football club selling programmes, it should not be difficult.
  • Halix said:

I think the new revised system is you complete submission form P, forward it to the club 48 hours before the game, retaining the tear off slip on the bottom. Then you simply present the tear off slip to the club (with your ticket stub, your shoe size and £5), when you go through the turnstyles, assuming the new turnstyles will work of course. Johnnie Jackson will then deliver the programe within two weeks using the Trotters Reliant van service, together with a new submission form P.

Much more efficient than the current process Im sure you all agree, however due to a printing problem submission form P is regretably only available in Flemish or Walloon at present.

Now what's that old adage ?

Many a true word spoken in jest !