Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done Simon Francis

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

It's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of players (not the crowd), and in our case we clearly failed in the case of Francis. Yes, a stronger player mentally might have been able to shine during that low point for the team, but there's more to management than "pull yourself together lad".

The 'somehow' is that Eddie Howe has got the best out of him, Parky & SCP (especially the latter) did not.

Chris Powell also got Carl Jenkinson to Arsenal and Chris Solly went on to become the best player in the side. Francis is better than neither of those.
    Then we should expect Solly to be Prem bound now his knees seem better?
  • Options

cafctom said:

It's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of players (not the crowd), and in our case we clearly failed in the case of Francis. Yes, a stronger player mentally might have been able to shine during that low point for the team, but there's more to management than "pull yourself together lad".

The 'somehow' is that Eddie Howe has got the best out of him, Parky & SCP (especially the latter) did not.

Chris Powell also got Carl Jenkinson to Arsenal and Chris Solly went on to become the best player in the side. Francis is better than neither of those.
    Then we should expect Solly to be Prem bound now his knees seem better?
    He is. With us.
  • Options
    Got an assist on Saturday and was very close to another one, at what point do we here at Charlton Life say "we were wrong"?! He looks so confident when attacking as well.
  • Options
    I was wrong.

It seems we couldn't manage him as well as the Bournemouth Chief.
  • Options
    I also, was wrong.
  • Options
    Most of us have said that we were wrong - about his ability to play in the prem. Doesn't mean he wasn't shocking while here though.
  • Options
    How can a player be so completely different?

Is it the manager?

The players attitude?

The style of play?
  • Options
    He was always good going forward, just not great at defending.

Still the same just managed differently.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The difference I've seen is sheer confidence.
    He drives forward with the ball, and is assertive in tackles and in the air now, qualities he didn't show with us I believe because we were perhaps in a tough spot then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Style of play was one of the problems when Francis was at Charlton. People moaned at him for hoofing it but rarely was there anyone making space for him to see a pass. And if a pass did go wrong, then other people were on his back for that too.

At Bournemouth, players have been encouraged to show for the ball and Francis has been encouraged to use his attributes (strength, fitness and decent technique) to play much higher up. Positionally he'll never be the best defender but he can still head well and clear his lines when needed. Also at Bournemouth, he's had better midfield cover so it doesn't all go pear-shaped if they lose the ball while he's high up.

He's gained confidence as a result of being suited to a style of team play and is now realising his potential. Leaving Charlton was probably the best decision of his footballing life (assuming it was his decision?).
  • Options
    MOTM at Stamford Bridge....................
  • Options
    I hope the boo boys were watching.
  • Options
    Why did he never show it for us then
  • Options
    He played shit for us. Were we supposed to wait 5 years for him to come good? Or maybe we should have got a team of premiership players around him. Oh hang on. We couldn't. He couldn't play in the way we needed him to.
  • Options
    He was captain today, wasn't he?
  • Options
    I guess it shows that for some players, what goes on in the head is far more important than we care to realise.

Whatever, hats off to him and to Eddie Howe for getting the best from him.
  • Options

Why did he never show it for us then

Perhaps because he's playing for a manager who believes in him. Perhaps because he's more comfortable in his surroundings. Perhaps because he's that much older and wiser. Perhaps because he isn't worried about the crowd reaction every time he gets the ball.

Perhaps it's a combination of all of those factors.
    It's praps
  • Options
    Think it is finally time to admit I was wrong! Well done Simon Francis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Francis or Solly?
  • Options
    The way he was crucified on here (scapegoat) just shows that a lot of keyboard warriors don't know too much about Football. Well done Francis.
  • Options
    Rob said:

The way he was crucified on here (scapegoat) just shows that a lot of keyboard warriors don't know too much about Football. Well done Francis.

I totally agree with this. However, it's all about opinions. Anyone who thinks Tony Watt is a footballer probably booed Francis.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Rob said:

I totally agree with this. However, it's all about opinions. Anyone who thinks Tony Watt is a footballer probably booed Francis.
    A footballer called Tony Watt scored a goal in the Championship yesterday. This is something that is only done by professional footballers. I presume it is the same person you refer to.

Surely Tony Watt is in the same bracket as Francis. What goes on in his head is absolutely crucial to his performance.
  • Options
    Some old school Simon Francis on show at Dean Court tonight which the boo boys might enjoy...
  • Options

Some old school Simon Francis on show at Dean Court tonight which the boo boys might enjoy...

It was against Palace... Even the boo boys won't enjoy that one
  • Options

So did he pick tonight to have his worst game since leaving us?
  • Options
    I think Francis has not looked good for most of this season.
  • Options
    He's making mistake after mistake this season. They're more costly errors as well because he's playing centre back these days.
  • Options
    I think Bournemouth are in trouble, they didn't sign anyone in the window, and lost Ake who went back to Chelsea. Really surprised they didn't buy another CB