Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Well done Simon Francis

Comments

• Saw the other day that howe was interested in the Burnley right back kieran trippier, would Simon be ahead of him on the pecking order? At the same level last year think trippier was probably better, and has (brief) premier league experience.
  • If Simon Francis is a successful PL player at any point in his career then I will happily admit I know f*ck all about football forever more.
  • If Simon Francis is a successful PL player at any point in his career then I will happily admit I know f*ck all about football forever more.

Now ask yourself the question: would that statement have been equally valid 2 years ago if you'd said "Championship" instead of "PL"?
  • Premiership player now.

As is Yann by the way.
  • Francis had a very strong performance today. Yann unfortunately looked overweight and couldn't keep up with the pace of play. He made a couple of nice touch passes but he lost possession multiple times leading to dangerous counterattacks. I hate to say it but the Championship might be the right level for him.
  • edited August 2015
    Simon Francis was in The Observer's PL team of the day
  • Francis had a very strong performance today. Yann unfortunately looked overweight and couldn't keep up with the pace of play. He made a couple of nice touch passes but he lost possession multiple times leading to dangerous counterattacks. I hate to say it but the Championship might be the right level for him.

I'm pretty sure Yann always came back from pre-season overweight when he played for us - I think he might do ok once he's sorted himself out.
  • se9addick said:

Francis had a very strong performance today. Yann unfortunately looked overweight and couldn't keep up with the pace of play. He made a couple of nice touch passes but he lost possession multiple times leading to dangerous counterattacks. I hate to say it but the Championship might be the right level for him.

I'm pretty sure Yann always came back from pre-season overweight when he played for us - I think he might do ok once he's sorted himself out.
    Not getting any younger though.
  • se9addick said:

Francis had a very strong performance today. Yann unfortunately looked overweight and couldn't keep up with the pace of play. He made a couple of nice touch passes but he lost possession multiple times leading to dangerous counterattacks. I hate to say it but the Championship might be the right level for him.

Not getting any younger though.
    Absolutely, and to be fair it's pretty poor that he lets himself go so much over the off-season but I hope he gets a fair crack of the whip.
  • Simon Francis a premier league player, wow. There's hope for me yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

I was at the game on Sat as I got a late call to take a ticket off a mates hands. I was willing Howe to bring YK on because the Villa centre halves were physically dominating Wilson and King and thought Yann would be better at mixing it with them. Hopefully, he'll get more chances yet but I was disappointed with his sluggish performance on Sat and he didn't really get into the game at all or his foot on the ball. That said Richards is a beast at c/h and better players than Yann will also struggle against him this year.

Francis, like most of their team, looked more than at home in that league and he has all the attributes (physically especially) to do really well so not surprised he made the team of the week at all. Whether he can do it week in, week out against better players time will tell but lots of defenders are equally going to struggle against Hazzard, Ozil, Stirling, etc and it won't turn him back into the player he was overnight.
  • Just out of interest - how do folks on here reckon Chris Solly would get on in the prem (bearing in mind he has always been lauded by the fans whilst Francis got pelters).
  • Am I missing something? Francis let the villa player go for him to score. How the hell has he got in team of the week?!!?
  • Bournemouth fans saying he was blocked off the ball.
  • I think they need to have a re-watch
  • Francis was treated unfairly at the Valley. However, he has proven that there are quite a few people attending matches who don't know what they are talking about. That said, a whinger is a whinger , the moaners moved to Wilson, then Church and last season to Fox. Not sure wtf they will be doing this season. I'm sure they have a selection meeting coming up soon and a player will be selected.
  • masicat said:

Francis was treated unfairly at the Valley. However, he has proven that there are quite a few people attending matches who don't know what they are talking about. That said, a whinger is a whinger , the moaners moved to Wilson, then Church and last season to Fox. Not sure wtf they will be doing this season. I'm sure they have a selection meeting coming up soon and a player will be selected.

I bet it will be someone young and inexperienced. Whose confidence can be targeted. KAG must be a prime candidate but no doubt we will find out soon enough when we have stopped winning 2-0 vs so-called fancied teams.
  • agim said:

I don't think Francis was treated unfairly. He was piss poor at Charlton for whatever reason and I think I read somewhere he even admitted that. Some players suit different teams or different managerial styles.

They were all piss poor. He was selected for booing even though the rest of the team were also playing badly. As I said, it's somebody else's turn now. Francis is doing very well, good luck to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Francis wasn't very good for us but it was clear his confidence was shot to pieces. Has everyone forgotten what a horrible toxic place the Valley was back then?

I never felt as sorry for a footballer than I did during that league cup game (Preston?) where he couldn't do a thing right. I'm glad he's got himself back on track.
  • edited August 2015

If Simon Francis is a successful PL player at any point in his career then I will happily admit I know f*ck all about football forever more.

Go on, then.

Mind you, most of us should join you, including me.

• Just out of interest - how do folks on here reckon Chris Solly would get on in the prem (bearing in mind he has always been lauded by the fans whilst Francis got pelters).

He'd do ok defensively but would offer very little in attack.
  • Vincenzo said:

If Simon Francis is a successful PL player at any point in his career then I will happily admit I know f*ck all about football forever more.

Go on, then.

Mind you, most of us should join you, including me.

Lol. Wondered how long it would be before someone quoted that! Fair play to Francis, I am stunned because he was bloody awful for us. Never boo'd him because I don't agree with it and it is very counter productive. Not sure you can call him a successful PL player after one game but he has certainly done a billion times better than I ever thought he would.
  • agim said:

I don't think Francis was treated unfairly. He was piss poor at Charlton for whatever reason and I think I read somewhere he even admitted that. Some players suit different teams or different managerial styles.

This.
  • masicat said:

agim said:

They were all piss poor. He was selected for booing even though the rest of the team were also playing badly. As I said, it's somebody else's turn now. Francis is doing very well, good luck to him.
    I disagree that they were all piss poor, although I would agree, that they weren't as strong as they are now.

Francis was definitely the pissiest and if he wasn't, how come the supporters can still remember his "performance" against Preston in the League Cup, which arguably ranked 2nd to Llera at Colchester, in the pissiest Charlton performances in the last 30 years ?

I grant you Alonso in the League Cup, may challenge for the silver medal :smile:
  • There is nothing more muggy than things being said that suggest it was somehow the fans' fault for players not fulfilling their potential with us, when quite simply they were just not very good at the time and have somehow performed a minor miracle to jump up a league or two since.
  • It's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of players (not the crowd), and in our case we clearly failed in the case of Francis. Yes, a stronger player mentally might have been able to shine during that low point for the team, but there's more to management than "pull yourself together lad".

The 'somehow' is that Eddie Howe has got the best out of him, Parky & SCP (especially the latter) did not.
  • In the interview he gave that I read he talks about almost giving up the game at one point in his career. I think it was before he came to us but he's done well to turn it around.
    He's clearly excelled at Bournemouth and I would think Howe has played his part in that. He seems a good man-manager.
  • It's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of players (not the crowd), and in our case we clearly failed in the case of Francis. Yes, a stronger player mentally might have been able to shine during that low point for the team, but there's more to management than "pull yourself together lad".

The 'somehow' is that Eddie Howe has got the best out of him, Parky & SCP (especially the latter) did not.

Chris Powell also got Carl Jenkinson to Arsenal and Chris Solly went on to become the best player in the side. Francis is better than neither of those.