Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Middlesbrough

The most baffling decision by a manager in a good while? Even if Bournemouth won their game in hand, a draw would have given them a chance if we beat Bournemouth on the final day but now they have a huge GD swing which is basically impossible. Not exactly promising to go into the play-offs with either.

Comments

• What did their manager do?
  • I don't want Boro to go up purely on the basis that I think Bamford is overrated.

Furthermore, they've had their time in the premier league and they were as dull as ditchwater
  • What did their manager do?

Sent their keeper up for a corner in the last minute trying to find a winner.

Fulham went down the other end and won 4-3.
  • Stupid thing to do, possibly sent Bournemouth up
  • edited April 2015
    It looks like one one the most crass decisions made in the championship this season.
    (other than Rotherham's admin and Millwall taking on Holloway a week after he said he was mentally shattered) Have all 10 outfield players up, but to send your keeper up as well?
    so instead of being a point ahead of the cherries. they are now Level.

I know poor old Harry Redknapp can't count; but Karanka as well.
  • Bournemouths goal difference is + 16 above Middlesboroughs, effectively if they beat Bolton at home monday night they are promoted. Unless there is a ridculous swing on Saturday cant see that.

Saturdays home match could be meaningless.
  • They blew my 6 fold division winners accumulator!
  • Bournemouths goal difference is + 16 above Middlesboroughs, effectively if they beat Bolton at home monday night they are promoted. Unless there is a ridculous swing on Saturday cant see that.

Saturdays home match could be meaningless.

Which is a great pity, they can play with no pressure
  • To make the decision even more crass, they were also down to 10 men.
  • Piss poor decision by their manager. Trying to be some full on glory, Mourinho like decision maker and royally screwed up. Gutted our game v Bournemouth will almost certainly now be a simple stroll and bore of a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    errrr....B'mouth could still lose against Bolton on Monday night, thus keeping it all still to play for.
  • They wont though golf
  • I would love to see Norwich v Ipswich in the playoffs.
  • I'd certainly want to be the team that avoided Norwich in the playoffs
  • edited April 2015

errrr....B'mouth could still lose against Bolton on Monday night, thus keeping it all still to play for.

They should've been a point behind the Krankies, which would've put a bit of pressure on the Cherries. Now they start the game on Monday already ahead.

Steve Gibson should demand the reason for that decision.

• Jelle Vossen is free now ...
  • i must be the only one who thought fair play , he who dares (in this case loses !!)
    the difference between 1 and 3 points is bigger than 0 and 1

if they took the point they would need us to win
    if they had taken 3 a Charlton draw/victory may have sorted them

better to have gone for it than be sitting there on saturday thinking if we'd just won at fulham , why didn't i stick the keeper up ...obviously they could be thinking if we'd just drawn at fulham come 2.15pm saturday!!

• i must be the only one who thought fair play , he who dares (in this case loses !!)
    the difference between 1 and 3 points is bigger than 0 and 1

if they took the point they would need us to win
    if they had taken 3 a Charlton draw/victory may have sorted them

better to have gone for it than be sitting there on saturday thinking if we'd just won at fulham , why didn't i stick the keeper up ...obviously they could be thinking if we'd just drawn at fulham come 2.15pm saturday!!

But the risk (the open goal at the other end) was a lot bigger than the chances if the odd goal when a keeper goes up, most of the time it doesn't help.

Daft decision in my opinion.
  • Hindsight, if it had come off then he would have been a bold, daring manager living on the edge but look at him now.
  • edited April 2015
    If they'd taken a point, they'd have gone into Saturday's final game with an approx 20% probability of automatic promotion by my reckoning. Not great, but only a 4/1 shot so hardly beyond the realms of possibility especially given we will be 'up for the game'.

By conceding the late goal, they go into Saturday's game with an approx 0.00001% probability of automatic promotion.

It's too complex for me to quickly calculate what their probability of automatic promotion would have been if they'd have scored from that corner but it would not have been significantly more than the above 20% (perhaps 30%), but as others have mentioned the additional presence of the keeper hardly makes any difference to their chances of scoring anyhow (yet meaningfully increases their chances of conceding).

It was an utterly dumb decision and frankly if I was Steve Gibson I'd have fired him on the spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• if we win on Saturday and so do Boro, and they fail in the play offs surely he has to be sacked
  • Yeah - sack the manager who took you to the play offs.
  • if we win on Saturday and so do Boro, and they fail in the play offs surely he has to be sacked

why? even if they had won at Fulham they were not guaranteed a play off spot as they would still have needed to win this weekend and what's to say they would have? He thought it best to try and win the game and thereby give themselves a real chance of promotion. A draw wasn't really much good. Can't see what he did was that bad really.

• MrOneLung said:

Yeah - sack the manager who took you to the play offs.

sack the manager who cost you however much premier league is worth nowadays

if they had stuck with a point and we beat Bournemouth they could have automatic so yeah sack him for trying to be cocky
  • MrOneLung said:

if they had stuck with a point and we beat Bournemouth they could have automatic so yeah sack him for trying to be cocky
    Cocky?? Going all out for the win is now considered cocky??

You do talk some bollocks
  • MrOneLung said:

why go for a win when a point is good enough
    if I was a boro fan I would be majorly pissed off

oh and I don't care if you think I talk bollocks, Mr keyboard warrior
  • MrOneLung said:

And it had paid off he would have been god, such are the vagaries of football.
  • Kap10 said:

MrOneLung said:

And it had paid off he would have been god, such are the vagaries of football.
    and if I was rich and attractive I could be dating Ariana Grande

its not about what could have happened its about what has happened, and what has happened is Middlesbrough have lost any chance of automatic promotion because of a bad managerial decision
  • MrOneLung said:

A draw wasn't good enough - they'd have needed Bournemouth to lose one of their last two games so definitely not "good enough"

Don't think I'm a "keyboard warrior" - I'd gladly say that to your face
  • Well Bournemouth are going to lose on Saturday...aren't they?