Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Katie Hopkins reported to the police by the Society of Black Lawyers.

Comments

• thenewbie said:

Huskaris said:

Katie Hopkins is as much the person she portrays in the Sun as Steve Coogan is Alan Partridge. These obnoxious celebrities (Brooker is the left wing version) just create personas and know they will continue to get bookings on mediocre shows desperate for some headline time if they keep saying the right thing. Think about how much money Hopkins has made, and how much the Sun has made, through this persona.

That is what it is, a persona,Katie Hopkins, Karl Pilkington, Joey Essex, Jeremy Clarkson, these people know exactly what they are doing.

Charlie Brooker would find you're description of him as a left wing Katie Hopkins extremely funny. Totally wrong - but none the less funny.
    Though I am sure he would be the first to admit he plays up certain characteristics compared to his 'actual' personality.
    The difference is what Charlie Brooker says , whether you agree with him or not , is clever , satirical and nearly always funny. Hopkins is none of those. she opens her mouth and out gushed bile. There is no comparison.
    I agree entirely, the point merely was that a lot of 'media figures' today tend to exaggerate their opinions and play up personas for better coverage. The real difference is how much tolerance we have for those views. To be honest I would be astonished if Hopkins truly really believed a lot of the crap she comes out with, she just knows controversy sells and she knows how to sell it.
  • Huskaris said:

thenewbie said:

Huskaris said:

Katie Hopkins is as much the person she portrays in the Sun as Steve Coogan is Alan Partridge. These obnoxious celebrities (Brooker is the left wing version) just create personas and know they will continue to get bookings on mediocre shows desperate for some headline time if they keep saying the right thing. Think about how much money Hopkins has made, and how much the Sun has made, through this persona.

That is what it is, a persona,Katie Hopkins, Karl Pilkington, Joey Essex, Jeremy Clarkson, these people know exactly what they are doing.

Charlie Brooker would find you're description of him as a left wing Katie Hopkins extremely funny. Totally wrong - but none the less funny.
    Though I am sure he would be the first to admit he plays up certain characteristics compared to his 'actual' personality.
    The difference is what Charlie Brooker says , whether you agree with him or not , is clever , satirical and nearly always funny. Hopkins is none of those. she opens her mouth and out gushed bile. There is no comparison.
    Someone of a different political persuasion would flip those names round in that sentence.
    You're of a different political persuasion. Would you call Katie Hopkins clever and satirical?
  • thenewbie said:

Huskaris said:

I know what you mean Beds, but it's quite funny that you use a sentence comparing Brooker with Hopkins....and then say there is no comparison when you've just made one!
  • True. It's a brilliant example of an oxymoron.

well that swings my vote.
  • Huskaris said:

thenewbie said:

Huskaris said:

Someone of a different political persuasion would flip those names round in that sentence.
    I can't agree. Brooker is a brilliant, witty writer. Hopkins is talentless.
  • edited April 2015
    IA said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah Huskaris is spot on. She's a professional troll. Media outlets get her "opinions" as it's guaranteed hits on their website or viewers on TV. Everyone getting annoyed at it is just like shouting "quick come here and have a look at what she's said now". Just ignore it and she'll soon disappear

She would disappear but the views/outlook she represents would not.
    Interesting comment: perhaps Katie and her opinions are relief valves for the pent up, frustrated views held by hundreds of thousands of people .. as in: 'She's saying just what I think, good on her' .. (this might stop some extreme behaviour being carried out by the most fed up and frustrated) .. 'someone understands me, I am not alone in my despair at how England is going to the dogs and what we must do about it' .. I think the psychologists might term this as cognitive dissonance, a form of hatred and despair aimed at things one can't understand and can't obtain
  • IA said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah Huskaris is spot on. She's a professional troll. Media outlets get her "opinions" as it's guaranteed hits on their website or viewers on TV. Everyone getting annoyed at it is just like shouting "quick come here and have a look at what she's said now". Just ignore it and she'll soon disappear

Interesting comment: perhaps Katie and her opinions are relief valves for the pent up, frustrated views held by hundreds of thousands of people .. as in: 'She's saying just what I think, good on her' .. (this might stop some extreme behaviour being carried out by the most fed up and frustrated) .. 'someone understands me, I am not alone in my despair at how England is going to the dogs and what we must do about it' .. I think the psychologists might term this as cognitive dissonance, a form of hatred and despair aimed at things one can't understand and can't obtain
    I'm not a psychologist, but I find it unlikely that any psychologist would see someone in the media describing people from identifiable ethnic groups as "cockroaches" or a "virus" and believe that this would lead to less hostility and less violence against those groups.

Earlier, you said that describing someone as a "cockroach" was a "backhanded compliment". I would strongly encourage you to read the (short) Wiki entry on RTLMC
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

IA said:

colthe3rd said:

I'm not a psychologist, but I find it unlikely that any psychologist would see someone in the media describing people from identifiable ethnic groups as "cockroaches" or a "virus" and believe that this would lead to less hostility and less violence against those groups.

Earlier, you said that describing someone as a "cockroach" wares a "backhanded compliment". I would strongly encourage you to read the (short) Wiki entry on RTLMC
    You're right, you are not a psychologist .. AND you have taken my quote re 'cockroaches' out of context, and not quoted exactly what I typed, a habit you must rid yourself of if you want your comments and rebuttals to be taken seriously
  • edited April 2015

IA said:

IA said:

colthe3rd said:

Earlier, you said that describing someone as a "cockroach" wares a "backhanded compliment". I would strongly encourage you to read the (short) Wiki entry on RTLMC
    You're right, you are not a psychologist .. AND you have taken my quote re 'cockroaches' out of context, and not quoted exactly what I typed, a habit you must rid yourself of if you want your comments and rebuttals to be taken seriously
    The way you dismiss IA's quite valid and well thought out argument actually undermines your own quite valid and well thought out argument.
  • I'd never heard of Katie Hopkins until doing a google search. Her offensive comments have clearly then had the desired effect of creating some desperately needed publicity. Scraping the bottom of the barrel is as low as you can go it seems.
  • vff said:

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

If all these migrants are (Black) Lawyers can't they represent themselves?

Flagtastic, thanks @vff
    I thought it deserved it @PL54.
    Yes M'lud
  • IA said:

IA said:

colthe3rd said:

Didn't take it out of context, you said that it described the survivability and grit of those people, then you said it was "a backhanded compliment perhaps but an unfortunate choice of words".

I don't believe it was "unfortunate". She knew what she was doing. That's why I recommended that you read up on RTLMC.

The main point is that the dehumanising language used by Hopkins presents an increased risk to safety for persons from Africa who live in the UK, and their families, no matter how or when they may have arrived into the UK.
  • edited April 2015
    Is that statement about leaving the country if Milliband becomes PM legally enforceable? I know where I would like to send her.
  • Whilst I agree she attention seeks on many things, KH also writes what a lot of people are thinking but are too fearful to say due to PC brigade backlash.
  • Hope you're well @Algarveaddick
    It does feel at times we're told how to think, that's what encourages people like KH.
  • Sponsored links:

• I read a thing in Private Eye that there is big pressure on the Telegraph opinion writers to get the internet hits on their opinion pieces, hence James Delingpole.
    There seems to be an incentive to shock and offend in our media.
  • Brooker's first name is Charlton. That is all.

All what?
  • Who or what is Muso Okwonga and why is he / she / it being quoted on here so much ?
  • Whatever your politics or your views on immigration, or your fears for the common man, or your sense that Britain is losing its tradition; calling desperate human beings cockroaches and suggesting that they be treated as such is utterly indefensible.

These are people whose crime is to have been born in a country which is now in a terrible situation from which they're desperate to escape, it's reasonable to debate the extent to which we should be looking to intervene but whichever side of the spectrum you fall on in that regard, the least we should be able to do is agree to empathise rather than dehumanise them.

Hopkins has the right to say whatever she wants but both her and the 'click-at-all-costs' media outlets that purvey her sh!tty views would feel utterly ashamed of themselves if they had the decency.

You have knocked on the head there Pass it.

That awful woman and the majority of Tories like her do not have the basic human ability for empathy or for compassion. It is all about self for them. Not their fault, they should be pitied.
  • I wouldn't turn this into a political thing. She has become a caricature and has to shock to have a career. She is a sad sign of our times, as is Joey Essex and quite a few others.
  • That was a sign of those times.