Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The best goal that you scored

What was the best goal you ever scored? You can exaggerate a bit if you like.

For me, it was a Charlie Adam's type lob from around the halfway line. The only other difference was that it was on a pitch the size of a postage stamp in Sutcliffe Park. Other than that, a penalty struck in the top corner in the first minute of a cup final felt good.

Any great claims anyone?

Comments

• If we're discussing FIFA then countless. In real life..... I didn't score many. I once let in a goal from a direct corner (low point of my life)
  • edited April 2015
    I scored a scrappy goal that I remember forever. It was at Wembley.

I was a steward for a CSN and Y and Joni Mitchell concert in 1974 and we played before the gig.

Get in!
  • We were 2-0 down with a minute to go, we get a pen and scored it. From the resulting kick off, I ran from my position of left wing diagonally across the field towards their right back, who had received the ball from their centre. Without looking he turned to pass it back to their keeper, I ran onto his back pass to volley it into the top corner of the net with my right peg, only used for standing on. Cue mad celebrations from me and the rest of my team still in our half and arguements from the opposition who said I never returned to my own half.
  • Eltham Park 2002/2003. Was stuck in goal for ages and we were 4-0 down. I eventually got my chance to come out of goal, ran the length of the pitch before nutmegging the keeper from a tight angle.
  • Charlton Park in 2009/10ish. Lob from the right hand touchline around the halfway line, lofted it over the keeper straight in. Entirely deliberate but couldn't quite believe I'd pulled it off myself when I did it.
  • Playing a pre season trial for Phoenix FC when i collected a pass on the ege of the D with my right foot, flicked it over the defenders head with my left then struck a sweet half volley into the bottom left corner. Got signed up by after a third of a season playing bit parts i moved on to Sky Blue Kestrals
  • My two best goals were on beaches.

Bournemouth beach, am running up the sea wing (sea to my right) screaming for the diagonal pass to me. Pass duly pinged over but falling short so had to adjust feet and acrobatically scissor kick the ball from slightly behind my left shoulder

2nd was on Newquay beach in a North v South impromptu game. Running into box and cross came over and I launched myself forward, whipped off my hat, and scored a diving header.
  • Scoring a 30 yard ping with my right (weaker) foot. Arrowed into the corner, hardly any spin on it either, rising all the time as I caught it just on the half volley, a bit like Ramsey's in the CL. I was 14 and unfortunately knew then I wouldn't score a better goal all my life and all of about 40 people maximum saw it
  • scored a few screamers but took my boots off for last penalty in a shoot out in a cup final at Bromleys ground.

Feet were fcked, ground was hard, after 2 hrs on a concrete like pitch I had no option but to take them off. Standard right foot bottom corner but was sense of relief was better than any other goal.
  • Played the majority of my football as LB, so goals were few & far between. As mentioned in the Charlie Adam thread, I scored from the edge of my own area, but it was just a wind-assisted hoof clearance, so I don't really count that.

My best by far was when I was playing for my college team against Dartford college. Playing CM, I came across the halfway line with the ball. An opposition player came to close me down, so I chipped it out wide to our left winger. It wasn't the best pass and looked like it might go out for a throw-in, but our winger hooked it over his head and I found the ball dropping to me, as I'd continued my run (more out of hope than expectation) to the edge of their area. As the ball was dropping, I realised I was out of stride in my run and fully aware that I couldn't kick for shit with my right peg, I jumped up and caught it in a sissor kick motion (like that famous Di Canio goal for West Ham) and watch at the ball flew off my foot like a bullet, into the top corner.

Once I calmed down from celebrating, I was left with a feeling of utter dejection, knowing none of my mates or team-mates from my sunday team were there to witness it..................
  • Sponsored links:

• Five a side. Received the ball on the half way line with my back to goal. A bit of keepy-uppy into a turn then swivelled and lashed a shot into the top right hand corner, past my boss, who stood rooted to the spot. I couldn't believe it, but the general reaction was one of horror at the prospect of me going on about it forever.
  • edited April 2015
    Mine was in a work game against our Manchester office. the goal was from about 25 yards out, we had a free kick, the ball was rolled to me and I hit it first time in to the top right corner in off the post.
  • Bullet Header, central, just inside area from a corner. Ball curled in towards me nicely, i ran onto it, pulled neck back and gave it everything and it went in the middle of the goal just above head height. Often replay it in my head.
  • Playing for Thames Poly about 15 years ago, scored a 'Scholes' volley at Bradford....corner taken from the right out to me on the edge of the box, first time left foot volley into the top corner, even amazed myself when it went in.

Never really scored too many goals as generally played at the back throughout my career but that was one of those that I caught so sweetly
  • edited April 2015
    Also a header from a corner. In an overly crowded box, I caught the eye of the corner taker and pointed sneakily back out to the edge of the D. As he stepped up, I broke out and away from goal, he sent it towards me but it was slightly short so I had to dive forwards to get my head to it. Did the old 'Keegan 82' with the head, but to much better effect as I managed to get enough elevation on the ball for it to sail over the 14 or so people in the box and curl nicely into the top corner leaving the goalkeeper with no chance. All this before regaining my feet with a nice forward roll and a 'one hand up' celebration in the style of Shearer. Sweet.
    I'll never be able to do it again if you gave me 1000 tries.
  • edited April 2015
    Managed to pull off a Ronaldinho hit it under the wall free kick once. Deliberately too, though none of my team believed me.

Think we lost 5-2 or something so didn't even matter.

There weren't many, was usually at right back!
  • iainment said:

I scored a scrappy goal that I remember forever. It was at Wembley.

I was a steward for a CSN and Y and Joni Mitchell concert in 1974 and we played before the gig.

Get in!

Was Joni Mitchell in goal for them?
  • Just like all the best 'one in a million' goals, mine was in a pre season friendly that meant fuck all.

Game was 1-1 with about five minutes left. I was playing shit - took the ball on my chest about five yards in my own half, back to goal, controlled it on my right knee, then my left, flicked it up with my right, turned and absolutely leathered it. Ball sailed over the keeper, who was only a couple of yards off his line.

Like all the best worldies, I celebrated by just standing there with one arm up (largely out of shock rather than because I was cool). Had various reactions from teammates - ranging between going potty, laughing and just mugging me off. Best of the lot was the best player on our team saying "Fuck. Off." as the ball was in the air and looked like it might go in.

I scored a few from long range over the years, but that one was almost too ridiculous for words. If only I hadn't been a fat c**t most of my adult life, eh?
  • Punted one in from the halfway line from kick off in a pub game once. In a real game the best one was one I didn't score, a nod out from a corner fell to me on the edge of the box and I hit it perfectly on the volley into the top corner. Except the overweight Sunday league keeper suddenly turned into Lev-bloody-Yashin and somehow tipped it over...
  • I'm recalling a number of goals that I scored, but they largely seemed to be tap-ins. A couple of decent free kicks come to mind and one straight from a corner with a gale force wind assisting.

I'll wait for the thread on "worst own goals" to describe another goal that I scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Playing for North Kent schoolboys, semi final of the cup, drawing 2-2, I hit a screamer from about 30 yards top right hand corner, keeper no chance. Put us in the final, made the local paper!

Memories!
  • One that stands out was playing for my schools b team....I picked up the ball just before the halfway line and got past my marker, I then got round 2 or 3 more players, poked it round past th centre back and dummies the keeper and poked it over him and in......all I remember was getting told I could never do that again, they was right. I celebrated by just running, in sheer disbelief!
  • last minute free kick in a cup final to take it to extra time. we ended up losing but that goal was the best feeling ever!
  • edited April 2015
    Early nineties Sunday morning league game.....
    Having already scored two and just had a shot cleared off the line, I took up position at the near post for the resultant corner then at the last moment peeled outside the six-yard box.
    The RB whipped the corner inch-perfect onto my head (I didn't move or even jump) and the ball thundered into the net to give me my first competitive hat-trick.
    I can still close my eyes and see the net bulge and then ripple outwards in apparent slow motion now. We didn't have any spare match balls so I never got to keep the ball :-(
  • Sat on the edge of a box for a Scholes-esque volley from a corner. Hit it into the bottom corner
  • remember it like yesterday. It was around 1986/87, playing for cubs 5th Bexleyheath Seeonee. I had absolutely no interest in cubs, but this was quite possibly the worst football team you could ever envisage who used to get smashed every game. I some how got talked into playing for them as i was good at that age, and literally got away with murder as they desperately needed me for their team.

it was a Saturday morning at Old Bexley school on Hurst Roard. The other team had a shot that went wide, i went behind the goal and got it, threw it to our keeper and waited level with the goal line and got him to pass to me. I then run the whole length of the pitch, must have beat about 5 or 6 players on the way, rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the open net. Should have retired then!
  • 1979ish - playing RB for Sky Blue Kestrels ( shit name) v Phoenix. the score is 1-1 with 5 mins to go.....
    Their keeper takes a goal kick, its coming down with ice on it from a great height and about to land in our half just behind their left winger. I nip in front (I could nip then) met it on the volley and without bouncing the ball went top left corner......screamer! For a few seconds I was a footballing god!
  • To my shame my 'best' goal was scored at Selhurst Park. Playing in the 1971 Croydon junior schools cup final. Described in the Croydon Advertiser as a 'stunning 30 yard lob' In reality as an 11 year old 30 yards was a long way and I just wellied it. The ball landed on the six yard line and bounced into the roof of the net over the 4'11 keeper. We went on to win 3-0 and I refused to go home until every last bit of that mud/pitch had been removed from my boots.
  • Great thread.

Hall Place circa 1994, ball broke to me in the last minute of a game in which we were 4-3 down in injury time, I was about 40 yards out and I 'double hit' the ball with first my shin pad and then my (weaker) left foot striking the ball towards goal.

The ball went like a bullet and seemed to gather pace as it flew into the top corner - never hit a ball like that again, seems incredible now that I could once do it at all.