Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jack Grealish

Hell of a player. Played up to U21for Irish. Hodgson is there, get on the dog & bone, Roy

Comments

• Options

Hell of a player. Played up to U21for Irish. Hodgson is there, get on the dog & bone, Roy

Is he the son of Tony?
  • Options

Is he the son of Tony?
    No. So nothing to connect him to Spanners.
  • Options
    Tony Grealish never played for Millwall.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Tony Grealish never played for Millwall.

Apologies, my bad. Must be thinking of O's.
  • Options
    Greal adj. - with potential

Grealish - close to being with potential
  • Options
    dizzee said:

This is what is wrong with english football... One good game and he is in the national side, give me a break. Maybe once he proves himself over a season like Kane, then he deserves a crack. He may have potential, but the media will hype him up as the next big thing and it will destroy him. Let him develop.

But give him an England cap now so we don't miss out

It's no different to signing up a promising youngster for a premiership team

• Options
    Declared for England.
  • Options
    Hang out the flags! We're gonna win the World Cup and Euros!

Or not.
  • Options
    All the Irish on twitter having a cry. Apparently he's shit now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All the Irish on twitter having a cry. Apparently he's shit now.

You'd have thought he was a kid from Cork that had defected after discovering one English grandparent.
  • Options
    He will probably muster about as many England caps as Agbonlahor who could have also played for Nigeria or Scotland through his parents but was given A quick cap at a young age to rule that out.

shame really as he, IMHO, will never be good enough to have an international "career" for England where he could for ROI.
  • Options
    Young player, has potential but we've seen so many now. This is more of a story given he's been playing for Ireland. However until he does the business on a consistent basis, for me he's no different to a Rodwell or a Townsend or a Walcott or a Sterling.

Let's hope he does the business, but based on the past players the media have built up, will be firmly 'wait and see'
  • Options

He will probably muster about as many England caps as Agbonlahor who could have also played for Nigeria or Scotland through his parents but was given A quick cap at a young age to rule that out.

shame really as he, IMHO, will never be good enough to have an international "career" for England where he could for ROI.

Maybe they should allow players who haven't played international football in 5 or more years to play for another country that they qualify for.
  • Options

But should international football be about being passionate about your own country, or choosing the country that will give you the most chances of appearing?

It should BUT, if that WAS the case with Grealish I doubt he would have a) played for ROI U21's and b) PUBLICLY STATED that he would go away and think about who he will play for.
  • Options
    The big difference is Jack Grealish was getting rave reviews before he'd even scored a Premiership goal ! I'd say the lad got some way to go.
    Not sure it's a good idea, not to wear proper shin pads with some of the tackles
    going in.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Young player, has potential but we've seen so many now. This is more of a story given he's been playing for Ireland. However until he does the business on a consistent basis, for me he's no different to a Rodwell or a Townsend or a Walcott or a Sterling.

Let's hope he does the business, but based on the past players the media have built up, will be firmly 'wait and see'

Walcott!? The guy who scored a hat trick against a team who hadn't lost at home for years, who knocked England out of the previous tournament? I think Theo is probably the best attacking player England have, can't believe how much stick he gets.
  • Options
    Born and raised in Birmingham, has an Irish grandparent. Not really a big deal for me, he'll probably get about a dozen caps and maybe more, but he's not gonna improve the England team much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's 20. How can anyone say he won't improve the England side in the future??

Surely that's a discussion to be had in 8 years time.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

cabbles said:

Walcott!? The guy who scored a hat trick against a team who hadn't lost at home for years, who knocked England out of the previous tournament? I think Theo is probably the best attacking player England have, can't believe how much stick he gets.
    But is he world class? That's MY benchmark. The reason I say that is because I've had years of being told, 'he's the next big thing'. Have any of our players in our lifetime (I think you're about the same age as me), been world class?

I'm not saying Walcott isn't a good player, nor am I saying Grealish won't go onto be a great player. My point was more the hype. For me, Walcott's hat trick against Croatia and his patchy club career doesn't make him world class.

I'm not berating him, I think he offers something, is getting better at the CF role, I'm just saying, I've heard it all before. It's going to take something consistently good for me to buy into the hype
  • Options
    Why would you play for anyone other than the country of your birth?
  • Options
    I can understand playing for the country of your parents or grandparents birth. Nationality is more than where you're born it's also a cultural thing. I would qualify for England, Wales and Scotland and would be happy to play for England or Wales because of family culture.
  • Options
    I can maybe accept country of your parents at a push but grandparents is taking the piss.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

JiMMy 85 said:

cabbles said:

But is he world class? That's MY benchmark. The reason I say that is because I've had years of being told, 'he's the next big thing'. Have any of our players in our lifetime (I think you're about the same age as me), been world class?

I'm not saying Walcott isn't a good player, nor am I saying Grealish won't go onto be a great player. My point was more the hype. For me, Walcott's hat trick against Croatia and his patchy club career doesn't make him world class.

I'm not berating him, I think he offers something, is getting better at the CF role, I'm just saying, I've heard it all before. It's going to take something consistently good for me to buy into the hype
    The phrase 'world class' is meaningless and discussions over who qualifies are redundant. Is he worthy of playing for England? Yes. I don't give two shits what The Sun put on a back page when he was 17. So-called hype is just crap talk that you either listen to or don't.
  • Options
    The dilemma hasn't helped him really as it means there is more pressure on his shoulders about his international success before he has even been called up. Other players like Joe Gomez don't have the same pressure as nobody is talking about the subject, even though he is just as likely if not possibly more likely to be a better success for England.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

cabbles said:

JiMMy 85 said:

cabbles said:

The phrase 'world class' is meaningless and discussions over who qualifies are redundant. Is he worthy of playing for England? Yes. I don't give two shits what The Sun put on a back page when he was 17. So-called hype is just crap talk that you either listen to or don't.
    For me the phrase 'world class' isn't meaningless. I'm fed up of the majority of our players in my lifetime turning out to be good at club level and failing to reproduce that form when they put that England shirt on. It's not fair at this stage to say Grealish won't go onto be a 'world class' player, I hope he does. I'm just pointing out, that based on past players in my lifetime who I thought/was told would be the next big thing (including Walcott), it hasn't happened (IMO).

I have no issue for him playing for England. I hope he does very well. I'm desperate for all our players to do well, including Walcott. I just have low expectations. It's certainly not based on the Sun hyping him up either, I don't even read the Sun. I prefer something of more substance like the Metro
  • Options
    cabbles said:

JiMMy 85 said:

cabbles said:

JiMMy 85 said:

cabbles said:

For me the phrase 'world class' isn't meaningless. I'm fed up of the majority of our players in my lifetime turning out to be good at club level and failing to reproduce that form when they put that England shirt on. It's not fair at this stage to say Grealish won't go onto be a 'world class' player, I hope he does. I'm just pointing out, that based on past players in my lifetime who I thought/was told would be the next big thing (including Walcott), it hasn't happened (IMO).

I have no issue for him playing for England. I hope he does very well. I'm desperate for all our players to do well, including Walcott. I just have low expectations. It's certainly not based on the Sun hyping him up either, I don't even read the Sun. I prefer something of more substance like the Metro
    I think everyone interprets the term "world class" differently.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Why would you play for anyone other than the country of your birth?

What if pregnant mummy went on holiday to Bangladesh for 5 minutes had a dodgy ruby and you were born there.... Fuck that for a laugh