Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Spring 2015 (matches against WI, IRE & NZ)

6-7 Apr:
St. Kitts & Nevis Invitational XI vs. England XI
Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts

8-9 Apr:
St. Kitts & Nevis Invitational XI vs. England XI
Warner Park, Basseterre, St Kitts

13-17 Apr:
1st Test ~ West Indies vs. England
Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, North Sound, Antigua

21-25 Apr:
2nd Test ~ West Indies vs. England
National Cricket Stadium, St George's, Grenada

1-5 May:
3rd Test ~ West Indies vs. England
Kensington Oval, Bridgetown, Barbados

==========

8 May:
1st ODI ~ Ireland vs. England
The Village, Malahide, Dublin

==========

21-25 May:
1st Test ~ England vs. New Zealand
Lord's, London

29 May-2 June:
2nd Test ~ England vs. New Zealand
Headingley, Leeds

9 June:
1st ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
Edgbaston, Birmingham

12 June:
2nd ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
Kennington Oval, London

14 June:
3rd ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand
The Rose Bowl, Southampton

17 June:
4th ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
Trent Bridge, Nottingham

20 June:
5th ODI ~ England vs. New Zealand
Riverside Ground, Chester-le-Street

23 June:
1st T20 ~ England vs. New Zealand D/N
Old Trafford, Manchester

Comments

• Options
    "The England selectors have announced the following squad for the three-match Test series in the West Indies.

Alastair Cook (Essex) captain, James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), James Tredwell (Kent), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)"

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/england/england-test-tour-west-indies-2015/squad
  • Options
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    Looms like trott or lyth opening. I suspect cook 1, trott 2 Balance 3, bell 4, root 5, buttler 6, broad 7 anderson 8, tredders 9, plunkett 10 hmm definitely a batsman short. What about Ali?
  • Options
    I reckon we will beat west Indies... New Zealand is a different matter
  • Options
    Think Ali is injured otherwise he'd be our spinner and number 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    1 Cook 2 Lyth 3 Trott 4 Root 5 Bell 6 Buttler 7 Stokes 8 Broad 9 Tredwell/Rashid 10 Plunkett 11 Anderson

When Ali is back from injury:

5 Bell 6 Ali 7 Buttler 8 Stokes 9 Broad 10 Plunkett

Biggest dilemma is which two batsmen you pick from three: Ballance, Lyth and Trott. I imagine it'll depend on who does best in the nets.

If Lyth is picked, it'll be to open with Cook. You could even open with Root, with Trott at 3 and Ballance at 4.
  • Options
    Of course St.Kitts are nothing special but we do have a pretty dismal record in warm up matches so it was good to see us start positively. We bowled them out cheaply and were well placed at just one wicket down with Cook on 95* after fellow opener Trott had scored 70 odd, Balance the other Not-Out batsmen.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    http://www.ecb.co.uk/scorecard/37706

A two day 12-a-side match that'll be immediately followed by another. I assume Lyth, Plunkett and possibly Bairstow will get a chance after the turn around.

Good to Stokes among the wickets as well as Trott and Cook scoring well.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Of course St.Kitts are nothing special but we do have a pretty dismal record in warm up matches so it was good to see us start positively. We bowled them out cheaply and were well placed at just one wicket down with Cook on 95* after fellow opener Trott had scored 70 odd, Balance the other Not-Out batsmen.

"Nothing special" is something of an understatement. In fact, the mighty St Kitts & Nevis Invitational XI are so weak that they have a 16 year old in their side. Perhaps we were the ones sending the "invites" out - to all the local schools!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you're good enough you're old enough. Sachin Tendaulkar......
  • Options
    Riviera said:

If you're good enough you're old enough. Sachin Tendaulkar......

Indeed and The Little Master was scoring centuries in first class cricket as young as 15.

This is young Ross Powell's first class record:

espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-england-2015/content/player/858403.html
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Cook 101 retired
    Trott 72 caught
    Ballance 16 caught
    Bell 59 retired
    Root 64 lbw

Stokes 4 n/o
    Buttler 1 n/o

320-3(+2 ret)
  • Options
    I think for the next game, some squad players will bat for the other side, so to speak
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    "Result" from the first game:

St Kitts XI 59 (26.3ovs) & 76-7 (35ovs)
    England 379-4(+2)d (115.2ovs)

Match drawn.

Stokes 6-4-10-3 best figures in first innings
    Tredwell 14-4-35-3 best figures in third innings

Cook top scorer in batting innings with 101 retired.

& special mention to Mark Wood who picked up his first senior wicket for England. Bowled the opener for 5
  • Options
    135-17. Just the sort of work out we need ahead of the Windies not to mention the Ashes of course.

Still, it's looking good for Cooky after his 3 and 5 respectively against Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Interesting. Maybe there's a way back for KP after all?? James Whitaker to follow?
  • Options
    Probably good news. But it depends who replaces him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/broad-overcomes-injury-scare

Bizarre day of cricket is ongoing.

Trott, Ballance, Bairstow and Root batting for the opposition.
  • Options
    Strauss ?
  • Options
    Will never understand why or how Downton ever got the job in the first place. Time for Vaughn to leave the comfort of the commentary box and dig us out of the hole we are in.
  • Options
    It's not as if Sky will miss the newly recruited Vaughan as they now have no less than nine former England Captains on their books:

Ian Botham
    Bob Willis
    David Gower
    Michael Atherton
    Nasser Hussain
    Mark Butcher
    Michael Vaughan
    Marcus Trescothick
    Andrew Strauss

If we add KP and Freddy (both commentated during Big Bash) then we have a decent side though relying on Athers and Gower to bowl the hand grenades might leave us a bit short!

Also Big Bob probably won't mind bringing up the rear but I wouldn't like to be the one to tell Beefy or Freddy that they are batting at 10 ;-)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Will never understand why or how Downton ever got the job in the first place. Time for Vaughn to leave the comfort of the commentary box and dig us out of the hole we are in.

If ever there was a job for the boys, it was Downton. No pedigree, no mojo, no character, no chance !!
    Shame is that , in an Ashes year, as Vaughan says, Cricket just doesnt seem to be being talked about - and there we are, a WOrld Cup where we get eliminated with the minnows, and an IPL tourno where there are no England players playing ! The rest of the world has overtaken us, and is accelerating away!
  • Options
    How I have been looking forward to this Test series. So much so that I hadn't realise the first match started this afternoon until I found it on the planner - looking for today's IPL game!
  • Options
    With Windies best players playing in the IPL, England should win this series comfortably. Cook really needs to perform in this series. If, as I expect, Michael Vaughan is given the new ECB Director of Cricket role, Cook and Moores jobs will be hanging by a thread!
  • Options
    Windies win the toss and bowl. Cook says England were going to bat anyway.

Trott opens, Stokes at six and Treders plays.

• Options
    Cook
    Trott
    Ballance
    Bell
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Jordan
    Broad
    Tredwell
    Anderson

So, Bairstow, Lyth, Plunkett, Rashid and Wood left out. The Yorkshire supporters will feel that there is a conspiracy against them!
  • Options
    That team must have Australia shaking in their boots. Tredwell can't even get into the Kent 11. Conservative in the extreme, i am pleased Stokes is in the team.