Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Keeper expecting big summer of recruitment at Charlton

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Is there some emergency going on at News Shopper. As I was reading that article, I noticed in the corner of my eye that "Featured Jobs" had clicked up to Cleaning Supervisor :wink:
  • I like Henderson, talks a lot of sense and a very good keeper as well.
  • Interesting quotes from Henderson there.

Need to tie one or two of the players down reckon he's referring to JBG and Johnson there.

As well the fact that he's going to be watching the summer changes with interest... Bet he wont be the only player and reckon his long-term future with the club will hinge on how he sees the clubs ambitions (i.e. to the Players it seems as though we've just missed out on the Play-Offs this year but next year we should be aiming for them)
  • Basically saying that the board need to show some ambition now, hope he gets his wish.

Contracts to current players should be our first priority so we're building on what we've got not replacing.
  • Do players have to get clearance of what they plan to say in an interview - any ideas?
  • Spot on. This summer will be a strong indicator as to the level of Roland and Katrien's ambitions for CAFC.
  • personally, we don't need a big turn over now. secure what we've got and bring in a couple of quality players, not eight untried youth prospects.
  • Do players have to get clearance of what they plan to say in an interview - any ideas?

No - not very practical and the media operation isn't that sophisticated anyway. But they are usually aware they could be held to account later if they are saying anything controversial.
  • edited March 2015

Do players have to get clearance of what they plan to say in an interview - any ideas?

No idea, but it never stopped Bikey's interview in the SLP at the start of this year when he said the squad was too small, arguments in the dressing room etc.

http://addickschampionshipdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/tired-squad-have-dressing-room-rows.html
  • Sponsored links:

No - not very practical and the media operation isn't that sophisticated anyway. But they are usually aware they could be held to account later if they are saying anything controversial.
    I would imagine in these days of social media you couldn't effectively keep a rein on 30 odd players at once anyway, when they make a throwaway comment that gets blown out of all proportion by fans you're fighting a losing battle. A player whose not very pleased with their own performance in training says as much and within 24 hours the squad has fallen out with the manager according those 'in the know.'
  • Isn't the issue that players may be under some sort of control when doing 'authorised' interviews, but shoot their mouths off on Twitter instead!
  • edited March 2015

Isn't the issue that players may be under some sort of control when doing 'authorised' interviews, but shoot their mouths off on Twitter instead!

They're really not under any "control" when doing interviews - apart from anything else the power in the relationship with the comms team is all with the players, in the nicest possible way. The only authority over the players is the manager/head coach and he's hardly going to sit in on player interviews.

This was the problem I had with the idea that the Huddersfield comms department were advising Powell re the Trust interview. It's just not how things work. To a greater or lesser extent, the football side of the club do whatever they want and the comms team pick up the pieces as required. But generally there is no benefit to the players in being controversial anyway.
  • shirty5 said:

Do players have to get clearance of what they plan to say in an interview - any ideas?

No idea, but it never stopped Bikey's interview in the SLP at the start of this year when he said the squad was too small, arguments in the dressing room etc.

http://addickschampionshipdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/tired-squad-have-dressing-room-rows.html
    Since when he has hardly played
  • Southbank said:

shirty5 said:

Or nothing to do with his poor form between december and February
  • There is absolutely nothing in this interview which is controversial IMO or would require anyone at the club to have a word with Stephen Henderson. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer - how it should be.

I think the question being asked is less about what Henderson said being controversial and more about whether or not it's a party line, which would be very interesting for summer.
  • “There is no messing about with [Luzon], what you see is what you get."

I see someone messing about on the touchline...
  • personally, we don't need a big turn over now. secure what we've got and bring in a couple of quality players, not eight untried youth prospects.

this .. as writ, much will depend on re-signing the talent we have who will be out of contract very soon. The present set up both managerially and playing staff wise as well as at CEO level is running very smoothly .. too many new faces could disturb this very fine balance .. if it aint broke .. don't unbroke it
  • shirty5 said:

Southbank said:

shirty5 said:

Or nothing to do with his poor form between december and February
    To be fair to the guy, there were plenty of others in the same situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think it's fair on either to say that Henderson is head and shoulders (and beard...) better than Hamer was - they have different styles, and different strengths, Hamer was certainly more unorthodox than Henderson and took more chances but that isn't always a weakness. It's not by chance that of all our players Hamer is the one who made it into the Premiership and played several games (he was unlucky to be dropped IMO but that's a different debate.)
    Personally, I think perhaps Henderson does just about edge him out but as with Solly, the injury record is going to stop a lot of lower-to-mid Premiership teams taking the gamble despite his clear quality. His impact on results speaks for itself, the defence is demonstrably more confident and capable with him in goal - but I think they would have been with Hamer as well, the experience factor is the really important bit and defenders as experienced as Ben Haim and Johnson would have adapted to Hamer's style as they have to Henderson's - young keepers are a little too raw and unpredictable for defenders to fully trust for the most part I think.
  • Hamer's biggest strength over Henderson is his ability to stay fit over a period of time.
  • Hamer's biggest strength over Henderson is his ability to stay fit over a period of time.

Hendersons biggest strength over Hamer is his ability to keep the ball out of the goal

Hamer didn't miss many games through fitness, where Henderson has had 2 or 3 issues already.

Good one liner Southend, but Ben Hamer has had more clean sheets than most of our keepers over a number of years.

The reason i would pick Stephen over Ben when both are fit is the calmness and ability to take crosses where Ben could do worldy's but had more moments of madness.

Hendersons biggest strength over Hamer is his ability to keep the ball out of the goal

Hamer didn't miss many games through fitness, where Henderson has had 2 or 3 issues already.

Good one liner Southend, but Ben Hamer has had more clean sheets than most of our keepers over a number of years.

The reason i would pick Stephen over Ben when both are fit is the calmness and ability to take crosses where Ben could do worldy's but had more moments of madness.
    Also you never see Henderson looking or shouting at the Defence whenever a goal is conceded

Also you never see Henderson looking or shouting at the Defence whenever a goal is conceded
    Rare in any goalkeeper...
  • There is absolutely nothing in this interview which is controversial IMO or would require anyone at the club to have a word with Stephen Henderson. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer - how it should be.

I think the question being asked is less about what Henderson said being controversial and more about whether or not it's a party line, which would be very interesting for summer.
    I don't think there is a party line to be honest, all he was doing was expressing his own desire to see key personnel tied down to longer deals in the summer.
  • Hendersons biggest strength over Hamer is his ability to keep the ball out of the goal

Very good. He's a very good goalkeeper but he's only on the pitch half the season.
  • Love the bloke.

I think he's absolutely quality between the sticks and he says all the right things as well.

You can see the passion he has when he walks up to the Covered End before the game.

I just hope that we can get him fit for the whole of next season as that will be a big positive. I think he's being exceptionally modest when he says that his return hasn't led to the upturn in results because I think that it has played a very big factor.

He's different gravy to any of the keepers we've had recently in my opinion.

This. I always agree with A2TR.