Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

William Hague

Is being described by some as "the greatest parliamentarian or the last thirty years".

I have two questions and a comment relating to this.

What does that actually mean? Who else has received this accolade in the past.

Does he deserve it? Why, what has he done.

Is it just damning with faint praise as he has been around for so long. Rather like the special Oscars for people who have been around for years without actually winning anything.

Comments

• Thought it was a pub
  • The man is a weasel. On his last day he tried to oust out speaker John Bercow but disastrously failed.

Good riddance Elmer Fudd.

https://youtu.be/I7M39Hx9anE
  • Superlatives are bandied about far too freely these days.
    I know he's been gone awhile now but Tony Benn was an MP and genuinely outstanding Parliamentarian (acknowledged by people of all political persuasions) until 2001 (47 years in all) and so to extend Hague's period of "greatness" (such as it is) beyond 14 would be an obvious travesty IMO.

I had Tony Benn and Ken Clarke in mind when I posed the question and just could not see what WH had done.
    I know he's been gone awhile now but Tony Benn was an MP and genuinely outstanding Parliamentarian (acknowledged by people of all political persuasions) until 2001 (47 years in all) and so to extend Hague's period of "greatness" (such as it is) beyond 14 would be an obvious travesty IMO.

I had Tony Benn and Ken Clarke in mind when I posed the question and just could not see what WH had done.
    Beats me aswell. That was a very shabby episode he got drawn into on Thursday, even if Bercow is a ghastly egotist.
    Clarke's a good call but Wedgie for me by a country mile.

Beats me aswell. That was a very shabby episode he got drawn into on Thursday, even if Bercow is a ghastly egotist.
    Clarke's a good call but Wedgie for me by a country mile.
    Couldn't agree more about Thursdays episode. Really quite seedy and perhaps proves the point that he is probably a distinctly average parliamentarian as you could not see any of the true greats prostituting themselves for a last hoorah.
  • Kap10 said:

I would also include Dennis Skinner as a great Parliamentarian, even though he is too left for me.

100% agree.
  • for some reason he seems to be respected by MPs of all sides--feck knows why though.

someone should ask DA9 about Mr Skinner.
  • I know he has won parliamentarian of the year a few times and think that is awarded by fellow MPs.

Agree though re Benn and Skinner as great characters even if not of my political persuasion. Simon Hughes too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kap10 said:

I would also include Dennis Skinner as a great Parliamentarian, even though he is too left for me.

I'd go as far as to say 'The Great Parliamentarian', looking at his record: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10544/dennis_skinner/bolsover

I love the fact that they know he "has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 2726 times in debates".

Still, The Beast of Bolsover is a far better title.
  • edited March 2015
    Always thought Bill Boaks was the most entertaining - even if he never made it to Parliament - would have been a laugh if he had though !
  • Bercow and his dozy tart of a wife make my teeth itch. As for Haig being a great parliamentarian, well it's all subjective I know but didn't he just do his job?
  • What Is the definition of a parliamentarian then? Presumably it involves turning up in the chamber for debates more than most? Does Hague have a good record in that respect? Does Skinner for that matter?
  • edited March 2015

What Is the definition of a parliamentarian then? Presumably it involves turning up in the chamber for debates more than most? Does Hague have a good record in that respect? Does Skinner for that matter?

For me it's about showing genuine passion, respecting the traditions of the house, not being afraid to express true held convictions rather than pandering to populist views, respecting the right of others to reply and disagree, to be a public speaker that people will want to listen to (even if just to disagree) and to deliver those views as an accomplished orator. And of course add to that - integrity.

That's my starter for ten on a definition - and Hague doesn't tick many of those boxes!
  • Toryboy Hague. Good riddance i say.
  • bloke was and always will be a born loser, i'm sorry to say.

Interesting fact, my mum went on a date with him when they were both at oxford together. I tease her about it every time he's on telly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Are you going to have to change your avatar now Ormi?
  • He was probably the right leader at the wrong time for the Tories when they were on floor after they were demolished by Tony's New Labour in 1997.
  • Can't stand the bloke. How could you ever trust a man that had no childhood other than standing in front of the mirror dressed as Margaret Thacher practicing his monotone speeches. If the term Geek is levelled against Ed Milliband I hate to think what this twat is.
  • Can't stand the bloke. How could you ever trust a man that had no childhood other than standing in front of the mirror dressed as Margaret Thacher practicing his monotone speeches. If the term Geek is levelled against Ed Milliband I hate to think what this twat is.

You answered your own question with your penultimate word
  • edited March 2015
    Tony Blair is the 'peace envoy' to the middle easy.... I wouldn't take labels too seriously
  • The only plus as far as I'm concerned is that he was educated in a comprehensive. Oh and he was a good opposition leader giving Blair a rough ride at times at PMQ's.
  • McBobbin said:

Can't stand the bloke. How could you ever trust a man that had no childhood other than standing in front of the mirror dressed as Margaret Thacher practicing his monotone speeches. If the term Geek is levelled against Ed Milliband I hate to think what this twat is.

You answered your own question with your penultimate word
    Raw nerve ?
  • Addickted said:

Are you going to have to change your avatar now Ormi?

The avatar is because I found that picture of Hague absolutely hilarious, he looked a complete prat dressing like that as a 50 year old.

That being said, I really like the guy and he is the sort of old fashioned One Nation Tory that I genuinely respect (although he did run a toe curlingly bad campaign 2001 with the 'Save the Pound' crap).

I know people who have worked with him who say he is a really good guy with a great sense of humour who could have been a great PM - but the cards fell at the wrong time for him.