Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help with Sky & Broadband Packages

Hi all,

Just moved out of my parents house for the first time with my two other brothers. So genuinely needing advice about anything at the moment. Luckily after 24 hours the house hasn't burned down yet.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what I should be paying out for a Sky & Broadband package a month? We would mainly be watching sports and films. And obviously standard freeview channels.

Could anyone give any advice on what package I should get too?

Cheers

Comments

• Not sure on how much but if you're wanting sports and films you'll obviously be paying a fair amount. Always check the cashback sites before you order, they usually offer a good deal for new sky customers.
  • Its a nightmare trying to compare there are so many permutations and it depends on how you get broadband, which supplier, cable or not, how you watch TV and where. For a single screen in a single room you can now get a doobury that streams TV through your computer wirelessly to your TV screen and you can pay for the channels through various subscription service providers like PAYG.

I'm sure I could get a better deal but as an example of what I seem to need I have a BT High Speed broadband with a TV package of just basic + sports HD for £55 which is £30 for broadband, £8 for the TV and the rest the phone call package. Probably watched half a dozen programmes on BT in a year because we already have Sky with full variety sports and movies and can link that with multi screens that you can't with BT (i don't think). But as I need broadband and phone package I'm only paying £8 a month for the BT TV for the odd sports event. Sky with variety/sports/movies ignoring multi screen is £71.

• Might be able to put you on to a special offer. I'll check in the morning.
  • Recently went from Sky broadband to Bt broadband,thought Bt broadband hub 5 box was much better ( Bt infinity), wouldn't go back unless sky changed their router, and upgraded the spec.
  • Mate, I have the lot with Sky. But gotta tell you, their internet service is atrocious!! Recently upgraded to fibre optic with them and its a pile of pony, it really is! Had issues with their broadband generally and they just blame everyone else except themselves! Avoid their broadband, they are third rate.
  • I can get you: 12 months free Family Bundle and Sky Broadband Unlimited when they join Sky (Sky Line Rental required £16.40 per month.)

When they join they can enjoy all this for free:

An award winning Sky+ HD Box
    Over 300 Box Sets on demand
    The UK's widest TV catch up service
    Super reliable, totally unlimited Sky Broadband.
    They just pay Sky Line Rental - £16.40 per month.

PM your email address if you're interested.
  • edited March 2015
    I've never had a problem with Sky Fibre. I pay £20 a month for the service and a phone line. I'm a very heavy user as I upload around 10 gig of video a night and I've never had my speed capped. As well as the uploads almost everything watched in the house is from a streamed source so I must be pushing a Terabyte a month. You won't get an uncapped and unthrottled service from many of Sky's competitors.
  • @JiMMy 85 What about us long term subscribers, is it worth ringing up to moan that we get sweet FA when new subscribers get Sound Bars or 32' TVs??
  • @JiMMy 85 What about us long term subscribers, is it worth ringing up to moan that we get sweet FA when new subscribers get Sound Bars or 32' TVs??

I'm not that nice @NorthStandUltra
  • Sponsored links:

Find a good deal from Virgin or another competitor and phone up to cancel. When they ask you why you're leaving mention the deal. Nine times out of ten you'll be passed to someone in retentions who'll offer you a big reduction or will match the deal. Alternatively just say you need to drop sky as you have to trim your outgoings and again they'll drop your subscription pretty quick. To be honest if your paying full price for Sky you're burning your cash as its very easy to negotiate discounts.

Find a good deal from Virgin or another competitor and phone up to cancel. When they ask you why you're leaving mention the deal. Nine times out of ten you'll be passed to someone in retentions who'll offer you a big reduction or will match the deal. Alternatively just say you need to drop sky as you have to trim your outgoings and again they'll drop your subscription pretty quick. To be honest if your paying full price for Sky you're burning your cash as its very easy to negotiate discounts.
    Though I tried that a few years ago and they weren't bothered, practically just said "bye then" so I said I'd think about it some more and hung up. Maybe I just caught them on the wrong day.
  • Cancelled my Sky subscription this week as they couldn't get close to the deal Virgin were offering me, even offering me discounts they were still going to cost me approx £20 more per month than Virgin for the same channels (apart from Sky Atlantic), and Virgin are giving me a free Samsung Galaxy Tab as well.
  • Do Virgin offer tv only packages or do you have to get broadband as well?
  • The market is hotting up as the big players all shuffle to acquire strong 'Quad Play' bundles (Phone, Broadband, Mobile and TV) will become even more competitive within the next 12 months. BT will heavily discount their mobile and sport to keep you as a fibre broadband customer. Quad Play will be the best value irrespective of who you go with. Virgin will have to drop their prices and I suspect Sky will too. Vodaphone will also make a bigger move, so it's going to be good for Customers.