Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plane crash in France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32030270

Got to fear the worst and pray there are survivors!
Always more shocking when it is a reputabley (sp) safe airline over 'safe' countries.
Used German Wings plenty of times.

Comments

• French President saying there will be no survivors.

• Couldn't even imagine that terror.

Really feel for all those involved.
  • 148 presumed dead. R.I.P.
    Is it me or does there seem to be a marked increase in air tragedy's. Assume it's just because of the increased number of planes and flights.
  • I always use German Wings when visiting the father in law.

• Without speculating too much, it does sound like some form of landing was attempted and that there had been a distress call previously. It's absolutely awful news; my thoughts are with the families and loved ones of those involved.

I sincerely hope we don't see a repeat of the disgusting imagery that followed the tragedy in Ukraine last year either.

148 presumed dead. R.I.P.
    Is it me or does there seem to be a marked increase in air tragedy's. Assume it's just because of the increased number of planes and flights.

I'm sure I read that last year was actually the safest year for air travel since 1984(?); not sure why, but it seems there's been a lot more reported than usual though.

You're quite right about the level of air traffic though, apparently an Airbus A320 takes off, or lands, every 2.5 seconds somewhere in the world. Astonishing, but also relatively reassuring.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Couldn't even imagine that terror.

Really feel for all those involved.

Agreed. Can't get my ahead around the sort of emotions those people on board must have been going through in the last few moments.

RIP.
  • Horrible Horrible to be involved in something like that and I think air tragedies are reported on so much because it must be one of the worst ways to go.
  • Travelled on German Wings last week to Berlin.
  • Horrible Horrible to be involved in something like that and I think air tragedies are reported on so much because it must be one of the worst ways to go.

Yes, and the sheer numbers involved in a single incident make it seem such an awful tragedy, but a quick look at the internet shows that it's about how many people are killed in road fatalities a month in the UK alone.

No consolation to those poor souls who have lost their lives, or to their friends and relatives.

RIP
  • Frequent flyer but this has me mindful of my flight to Cyprus next week..
  • Sponsored links:

• Plane crashes are reported on more because they are so rare. You would have significantly more chance of being in a fatal car crash going home from work, or being hit by a car crossing the road to get your lunch. Probably more chance that said lunch will kill you with food poisoning.

Also on the rare occasions they do happen they involve multiple people.
  • Portch said:

Frequent flyer but this has me mindful of my flight to Cyprus next week..

How will you be more mindful ?
  • MrOneLung said:

Portch said:

Frequent flyer but this has me mindful of my flight to Cyprus next week..

How will you be more mindful ?
    I suppose it will be more on his mind !
    Precisely hahahahaha
  • edited March 2015

Horrible Horrible to be involved in something like that and I think air tragedies are reported on so much because it must be one of the worst ways to go.

You could argue that, in the grand scheme of things, a plane crash is one of the better ways to 'go' as it is relatively quick and the death is probably fairly instantaneous upon impact; some people probably pass out even before that stage. Give me that over a long drawn out and painful illness, but that 8 minute descent though, what a horror that must have been. I wonder if and when the pilots informed the passengers what was happening. What a thing to have do. So sad.

You could argue that, in the grand scheme of things, a plane crash is one of the better ways to 'go' as it is relatively quick and the death is probably fairly instantaneous upon impact; some people probably pass out even before that stage. Give me that over a long drawn out and painful illness, but that 8 minute descent though, what a horror that must have been. I wonder if and when the pilots informed the passengers what was happening. What thing to have do. So sad.

One commentator is suggesting the pilots may have passed out on the cockpit, hence no distress call.

• RIP So Sad.

These things don't normally happen this close to home in busy airspace with, I would think, pretty stable weather patterns and well maintained aircraft. Not that makes it any sadder by maybe more odd.
  • Radio 5 news said the plane was only serviced yesterday. Maybe it's human error on the ground.
  • Rip to those poor people

Always feels a bit scarier when it's an airline and airplane that we use on a regular basis
  • Sponsored links:

• There have been reports that a class of schoolchildren were on board.
  • Absolutely awful, gut wrenching tragedy. Feel so bad for the friends and families of those who died. Apparently the plane lost altitude very quickly with no distress call or attempt to find an emergency landing site. The black box recorder has been found so hopefully we will at least know fairly soon what happened.

RIP you poor people. All the best wishes possible to those left to mourn.
  • Remember seeing a report on the news about fumes being found in the cockpit of some aircraft recently
  • RIP to them all.

Two colleagues were flying (separately) today and my blood ran cold when I heard that there had been an aeroplane crash earlier.
  • Awful tragedy.

I remember something similar with a Greek flight and it was due to the cabin gradually depressurising. Everyone aboard lost consciousness before the crash, so at least the families had the knowledge that their family members didn't suffer.
  • Tragic .. R I P all the dead from this disaster
  • Radio 5 news said the plane was only serviced yesterday. Maybe it's human error on the ground.

99% of plane crashes are human error. No doubt this one is too
  • Absolutely terrible.

Almost everyones ears prick up at aeroplane disasters because almost everyone flies on them.

Roulette, but the safest way to travel.

Rip to those on board :-(
  • Awful tragedy.

I remember something similar with a Greek flight and it was due to the cabin gradually depressurising. Everyone aboard lost consciousness before the crash, so at least the families had the knowledge that their family members didn't suffer.

Helios 552. Excellent episode of air crash investigation on that one