Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Premier League : so where the shock then ?

Look at the premier League table tonight and other than Everton and Southampton changing places where is the surprise in the
League table from the beginning of the season ? The bottom 3 being the 3 who came up.
So Richard Scudamore can say want he wants but the rich keep getting richer and the competition is better in the champ than the Prem.

Where in the championship other than Blackpool who had 6 players a week before kick off, it's still hard to call.
At the beginning of the season you would have thought Wigan and Brighton would have been higher.

Do you agree about the Premiership being predictable at the end of season ?

Comments

• Options
    Easy to predict the outcome of any season at the end of a season !

I think most top flights in the world would be fairly similar in terms of predictability, very generally speaking the best & biggest teams will be near the top and the lesser & smaller teams will be near the bottom. There's a lot more flux in leagues outside the top mainly because the gap between the bigger and smaller clubs, relatively speaking, isn't as great.
  • Options
    Even the "race" for the top four has become a bit of a farce this season. Makes a mockery of the Sky ads over the past couple of weeks.
  • Options

Even the "race" for the top four has become a bit of a farce this season. Makes a mockery of the Sky ads over the past couple of weeks.

Yeah especially that bloke whose been compiling his 'top 4' dossier.
  • Options
    A-R-T-H-U-R Member
    November 2014 edited November 2014 in Other Football and Sports
    ..what else can we get excited about in the Premier League?
    Manchester derby was poor.
    Failed to be any more thrilled by these fixtures than if they were (and could easily be) Championship games
    Everton 0-0 Swansea
    Hull 0-1 Southampton
    Leicester 0-1 West Brom
    Stoke 2-2 West Ham

(OK OK I know they haven't won it yet, but it is a 'discussion' list!)
    Where is the excitement going to come from?

nothing has changed in 4 months.
    So predictable, even on 5 live they were saying West Ham had won 'their division'
    Yawn
  • Options

Look at the premier League table tonight and other than Everton and Southampton changing places where is the surprise in the
    League table from the beginning of the season ? The bottom 3 being the 3 who came up.
    So Richard Scudamore can say want he wants but the rich keep getting richer and the competition is better in the champ than the Prem.

Where in the championship other than Blackpool who had 6 players a week before kick off, it's still hard to call.
    At the beginning of the season you would have thought Wigan and Brighton would have been higher.

Do you agree about the Premiership being predictable at the end of season ?

Thought Scudamore basically said that they were making sure they gave more money to the big clubs by design so they can compete in europe. People forget that England refused to take part in European competition and now we destroy our own competition to get into it - really hate the Premier League
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Easy to predict the outcome of any season at the end of a season !

I think most top flights in the world would be fairly similar in terms of predictability, very generally speaking the best & biggest teams will be near the top and the lesser & smaller teams will be near the bottom. There's a lot more flux in leagues outside the top mainly because the gap between the bigger and smaller clubs, relatively speaking, isn't as great.

Nice one SE9.
    but ask most football fans to write down the outcome of the premier in early August and most of us wouldn't be to different to today's table other that the saints and the toffees changing places.
  • Options
    There is a proven correlation between total wage bill and league position so bigger clubs finish higher. But smaller clubs can climb and develop, just as we did back in the day... And now Swansea.
    And management can fail at a top club - just look at David Moves.

None of this detracts from today's double header of Liverpool Man Utd and El Classico.

There are a lot of moans about the FAPL but I just want cafc to get back there.
  • Options
    Never going to happen but I say bring in a fixed wage cap for the whole division, and make it so that you can only compete if you have a certain number, say 4/5 minimum of home grown players in your starting 11
  • Options
    I can't wait for the European super league. When the top four teams fuck off to Europe full time we hopefully can have a form of normality here
  • Options
    I don't think any of us would have predicted where Palace are currently sitting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Too right. When you knock people for money, (and have a history of it), you normally go out of business.
  • Options

Only because Pullis left them in the lurch a week before the season started, i had then down for 14th mainly because the spirit at palace on the field was always better than QPR, Sunderland(under Poyet) Villa(under Lambert) and Leicester and Burnley just didn't have enough quality in their squad.
    Also knew once Pardew came in he would be a good fit for them.
    (despite the fact he was poor at CAFC)
    Their is no correlation between struggling at CAFC and being half decent anywhere else.
    Just look at Simon Francis, Harry Arter(was he ever given a chance here) and Phil Parkinson.

• Options
    EPL is so far behind La Liga.

• Options
    It is not though. Once again, Real and Barca are running away with it. The teams at the bottom stand absolutely no chance against the top sides and exist only so RM + BA can thrash them 6-0.

Perhaps this season is not a glowing example of a competitive league but in other years it has been extremely tight.