Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Simon Church

Comments

• Options
    If Church could improve his finishing he'd be a top player....
    Spongefoot is a desperate nickname though.
  • Options
    Interesting how people act like Church was the worst ever player to come to the Valley, even though there was a time when people would chant his name to want to have him on the pitch....

Great win for the Dons and I hope that can derail Celtic a bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    You only get what you pay for as a general rule and Churchino was bargain basement after all...............Oh hang on a minute we've had Peter Parsnip, Nabby Sarr, Le (No) Point not forgetting Neil Redfearn and Francis Jeffers from yesteryear...........better scrap that on second thoughts :open_mouth: .
  • Options

Cannot believe the stick Church gets on here, completely over the top.

The bare minimum you can ask from any player is that they try their hardest all the time - and Church did that every time he pulled on the shirt.

Give me that every day of the week ahead of some of the utterly disinterested dog shit that has flowed through The Valley over the last 10 years.

No. No he didn't. He ran about but that was it. He would hide from the ball. He was always on his heels - never on his toes and don't even get me started on his attempts to jump to head a ball - he actually got smaller. Not to mention the fact that he genuinely can't actually kick the ball properly.

Everybody loves a trier but this man is nicking a living.

• Options

The bare minimum you can ask from any player is that they try their hardest all the time - and Church did that every time he pulled on the shirt.

Give me that every day of the week ahead of some of the utterly disinterested dog shit that has flowed through The Valley over the last 10 years.

absolutely THIS with knobs on mate
  • Options

Izale McLeod was far worse ....

He had the pace to be a brilliant Footballer at this level, remember him against Norwich one Tuesday night and he absolutely terrorised them... He ended up winning a penalty but his finishing was awful for some reason, even his goal against West Brom I don't know how he got it
  • Options

Totally agree. Just compare him to that lazy bastard Vaz Te who could hardly be bothered to break sweat.
  • Options
    This obsession with "trying" gets me down. A player is paid to play Football so the bare minimum is that he tries but to be a useful addition to a team you have to bring a bit more than miles run otherwise if that is the criteria we judge players by we may as well sign a bunch of marathon runners. Churches problem was that he couldn't anticipate anything hence he only moved by reacting to to ball subsequently was never quite in the right place. Probably a nice lad but as a player not up to much I am afraid.
  • Options

Were you disappointed that we didn't retain him over the summer?

I supported him while he was with us, but I definitely wasn't disappointed. He tried hard, absolutely, but was he good?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Totally agree. Just compare him to that lazy bastard Vaz Te who could hardly be bothered to break sweat.
    To many though, Church and Vaz Te are the same... One runs about and gets no reward from it, the other doesnt run about and gets no reward from it, apparently the fan could do that themselves quite easily
  • Options

Izale McLeod was far worse ....

He had the pace to be a brilliant Footballer at this level, remember him against Norwich one Tuesday night and he absolutely terrorised them... He ended up winning a penalty but his finishing was awful for some reason, even his goal against West Brom I don't know how he got it
    I vividly remember the ball dropping on mcloud's head (I think saying he headed it is an overstatement) and he looked around him completely gormless while the ball bounced harmlessly behind him with everyone screaming "BEHIND YOU". The guy was fast and that was it.
  • Options
    Izale McLeod is the worst striker we've had in the last 20 years. That's as good as a fact.
  • Options
    IA said:

I supported him while he was with us, but I definitely wasn't disappointed. He tried hard, absolutely, but was he good?
    No, I was not disappointed he left, his time was clearly up at the club, that happens to most players at some point.

However, I think it's bang out of order for people to be ridiculing a guy who always gave 100% and never took the piss with attitude or effort.

I was back for the Preston and Brentford games in October and was horrified by the attitude and work rate of some of the players - one Tony Watt in particular vs the Bees - and that's not something I ever suspected Church of.

He was a limited player for sure but was also a bloody good, honest pro and there are far worthier targets for derision than Church.

• Options

Izale McLeod is the worst striker we've had in the last 20 years. That's as good as a fact.

Abbott for me, so bad and pointless I would have preferred having the Doc up front instead.
  • Options

IA said:

I was back for the Preston and Brentford games in October

Are they the only two games you've seen this season?!

Hahahaha.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

IA said:

I was back for the Preston and Brentford games in October

Are they the only two games you've seen this season?!

Hahahaha.
    Yep - and the season before I saw two more home defeats as well....have not seen a win since a 3-0 win over Yeovil in League One.
  • Options
    Really hard to dislike him, but he has an absolute ceiling of around 5 goals a season in the Championship because of his ability.
  • Options
    Church always gets a disproportionate amount of stick off Charlton fans. It's just the way it is for him.

The thing is though, as much as people maybe don't rate him, he was an essential part of the team that survived in the Championship when we had absolutely no money to work with. He was our third highest scorer in 2013/4 and as much as people can say that's an indictment of our squad, it's the squad we had and his contribution was essential. He scored important goals too; the leveller at Barnsley that won us a point, the winner away at Blackburn, the second in the win against Doncaster all in the league, and the goals that beat Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday to get us within a game of Wembley. He was fazed out at the season went on but those points he won us early in that season kept us in contention to make the Riga revival possible, and as much as the FA Cup run was ruined by the Sheff U debacle when was the last time we had a cup run to be proud of? He even scored what turned out to be the winner the next season against Reading in a season where he barely played.

Despite all that, despite all the dog's abuse he got from certain fans and the fact the club changed his number without telling him and basically scrap-heaped him he still always speaks very highly of the club and has never criticised anyone at Charlton. The most he ever did was put his finger to his lips in a League Cup match which apparently upset the kind of people who have no issue doing worse from within a crowd.

He was what he was. A limited player who used absolutely all of his ability to make an impact on one of our most troubled seasons and always gave his full effort. Compare that to Vaz Te, who played seven games and scored zero goals, and produced less and less effort with every passing game. Church scored twice on his League Cup debut and scored on his full Championship debut for us, his third Championship game overall. Vaz Te at his best is streets ahead of Church, but he couldn't be arsed, and players like Pawel Abbott may have tried but their lasting impact is less than nothing. They're footnotes in failure, Church can look back at his Charlton record and say that he wasn't good enough to be the main striker in a Championship side but he still had an impact that helped keep the club up. How anyone can knock that I have no idea.
  • Options
    Great stuff, Celtic struggling to win a one horse race. :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Church is woeful, put yourself in a centre halves boots, would you bothered if you had an afternoon marking Church?

Not going to competitively jump for headers, no clue when it comes to movement(there's a difference between movement and moving), never going to bully you physically, not slow but certainly not fast, and even IF he got in on goal he'd probably miss.

Sorry but working your nuts off, which granted he did, doesn't cut if with him.
  • Options
    To think of the stick and sarcastic chanting Churchy used to face compared to the unbridled adulation that a certain Mr. Watt gets. I know that professionalism and commitment to the cause means nothing in football, but it doesn't seem right to me.
  • Options

Good quality football up there: https://t.co/Qrvv34LvBq

Yeah, that brings back memories of my school footy days. Even the pub Sunday league team played better football than that.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Best Simon Church memory #1: Upon leaving the Sheffield United game he was caught mugging a child with glasses off.
  • Options

Form is temporary,
    Class is permanent.

Form is Class
    Temporary is Permanent
  • Options
    Scored 10 and 7 in seasons a Reading, pretty shit opinion he can only score 5 goals. Ok when he scored 10 goals at Reading he was in an exhilarating attacking side. His finishing against Oxford was excellent. When he came on against Brighton last season he made much more happen than Tucudean. In the right side he can score in the champ, but League One he's more than capable of scoring 10+ a season. Good luck Churchey.
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Scored 10 and 7 in seasons a Reading, pretty shit opinion he can only score 5 goals. Ok when he scored 10 goals at Reading he was in an exhilarating attacking side. His finishing against Oxford was excellent. When he came on against Brighton last season he made much more happen than Tucudean. In the right side he can score in the champ, but League One he's more than capable of scoring 10+ a season. Good luck Churchey.

To be fair to Simon, he looked very lively when he came on for the second half against Brighton - and his wing play for Igor's second was brilliant.

For all his effort he just never looked dangerous though; but I did ponder whether he could've been used more effectively elsewhere on the pitch.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

ColinTat said:

To be fair to Simon, he looked very lively when he came on for the second half against Brighton - and his wing play for Igor's second was brilliant.

For all his effort he just never looked dangerous though; but I did ponder whether he could've been used more effectively elsewhere on the pitch.
    I too pondered this but the best I could come up with was as a corner flag

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Just managed to find that glorious thread.

One of your players on the other hand is an absolute disgrace, after the match me and my son was walking across the car park where the Charlton team bus was my 12 year old lad kissed his badge on his Sheffield United shirt [Like you would do having just won an FA Cup Quarter Final] to which one of your players Simon Church then proceeded to mock my child by putting his hands to his face mimicking glasses and calling my son four eyes amongst other hand gestures.
    [...] mock my child by putting his hands to his face mimicking glasses and calling my son four eyes amongst other hand gestures.

Surprised he managed to avoid poking himself in the eye if I'm honest