Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022 World Cup: Final confirmed as 18 December

1 week before xmas day. Thanks Santa Blater.
Fifa has confirmed that the 2022 World Cup final in Qatar will take place on 18 December.
A Fifa taskforce recommended last month that the tournament should be switched from summer to winter.
The decision to hold the final on 18 December means Britain's traditional Boxing Day club matches on 26 December can still take place.
In another key decision, Fifa has chosen France to host the 2019 women's World Cup ahead of South Korea.
France will also be the venue for the Under-20 women's tournament in 2018.
Confirming the date for the 2022 World Cup final, Walter De Gregorio, Fifa's director of communications, said: "This is for us an important step.
"Finally we know the end of the tournament. It's a Sunday and, by the way, it's the national day in Qatar, so it fits perfectly."
He added: "You have enough time to do your Christmas shopping."
Stoke City chairman Peter Coates told BBC Radio 5 live: "It's going to be very messy. We have to make the best of a bad job, the only saving grace is there's a long time to prepare for it."
The decision to move the 2022 World Cup from its traditional June and July slot was taken because of health concerns for players.
Summer temperatures in Qatar can exceed 40C.
Fifa has also indicated that the 2022 World Cup could be shortened to 28 days. It normally lasts for 31 or 32 days.
Uefa, the body that governs European football, had pushed for the final to be as late as 23 December.
However, that option attracted opposition from Fifa members, who feared it would cause problems for fans and players getting home in time for Christmas, as well as affecting club football's festive programme.

Comments

• Bet 25 year old Joe Gomez can't wait!
  • Quite hard for me to think about something that is over 7 years away. Or is that right? Is it Dec 2021 or 2022?
    Either way, I'll be 50, which is so odd. If England win I'll take it as a sign that I'm supposed to retire.
  • Kin 'ell Uboat - you are spot on - weird, what year ? I'll be 59 or friggin 60
  • Blatter publicly stated he wanted this date for the final a couple of weeks ago ...and surprise surprise, he gets it
  • Kin 'ell Uboat - you are spot on - weird, what year ? I'll be 59 or friggin 60

It's the 2022 World Cup.
  • On what date do the group matches finish? Still plenty of time to finish the shopping by the time our lot will be back...

• Got a really good feeling this might be our year...
  • But land
    Jenkinson stones Gomez shaw
    Sterling Henderson wilshere Barkley
    Kane Ings

• Somebody should clatter Blatter !
  • Sponsored links:

• But land
    Kane Ings

Pope
    Jenkinson ... Stones ... Gomez ... Shaw
    Sterling ... Henderson ... Barkley ... Ibe
    Kane ... Ahearne-Grant

Fixed it :)
  • This is the weird thing. The football season runs from August to July, at least in this country but this is generally the case in the other main leagues, and I think it is generally accepted that the Euros or World Cup form part of the end of the season rather than the beginning of the next one, so my assumption was that it'd take place in the winter of the 2021-2022 season. Doesn't really matter but just goes against the conventional wisdom?
  • So France get two (albeit minor) tournaments, and the French bloke representing the confederation that will be most affected gives the winter tournament the green light...

Where's me tin foil hat.
  • I would have thought all losing bidders would be able to legally challenge the bidding process with all these changes.

Unfortunately the federations are gutless.

• cabbles said:

But land
    Kane Ings

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Cole

Downing Gerrard Lampard Milner Welbeck

Rooney

C'mon... Joe Hart wont be ready for this World Cup... Gotta go with David James!!
  • edited March 2015

I would have thought all losing bidders would be able to legally challenge the bidding process with all these changes.

Unfortunately the federations are gutless.

FIFA's a closed shop, if anyone breaks omerta, it doesn't end well for them and nothing changes. Can't see England winning any tournament bids for the next 50 years now. Just like the EU, better to join the corruption and keep our influence than try to expose the corruption and become an outcast for it.
  • Have you checked with South Eastern Trains ? I think there are planned engineering works between Greenwich and London Bridge on 17th and 18th. Bloody typical!
  • Great, people are going to have to try and get a flight in the Xmas window... At the time of the year when flights are already beginning to rise for the Christmas Holidays, not just that but people are also going to have to fight against others who are simply trying to get around the world so that they can be loved ones prior to Christmas Day
  • Three international breaks for Euro 2024 will need to be shunted into the mix between the start of the season and the World Cup...
  • Sponsored links:

• Plus the Champions League group stages which by then will involve even more games than they do now in order to further exploit the endless TV money.

And then there's the League Cup to think about too...
  • Excellent, have booked the Monday off - just in case .....
  • Anyone found any cheap flights ?
  • Me and Nathan are flying directly to Yemen, then taking Mega-camel up throught the Arabian peninsular.

£3.60 with his young persons railcard discount.
  • edited March 2015
    Pope

Jenkinson Gomes Lennon Solly

Poyet Cousins

Harriot Shelvey Ibe

Ahearne-Grant
  • World cup final on my 53rd birthday! Usually it just gets forgotten in the run up to Christmas!
  • World cup final on my 53rd birthday! Usually it just gets forgotten in the run up to Christmas!

Not surprised the World Cup usually gets forgotten in the run-up to Christmas... The Final is usually in July ;)
  • MrOneLung said:

Me and Nathan are flying directly to Yemen, then taking Mega-camel up throught the Arabian peninsular.

I hope that's not a euphemism.