Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Top gear

Top gear has been cancelled. Effective immediately

Comments

• This weekend's episode has been put on ice not Top Gear cancelled immediately
  • edited April 2015
    I've given my producer a red nose!

• I thought this was going to be about getting hold of a decent bit of blow.........
  • wrong thread for the revive IMO.
  • Wonder who the other two will be?
  • Well, in the plus side it'll be less racist. On the minus side it'll be hosted by Chris Evans.

Suzi Perry was in the T.F.I audience last week. wouldn't be surprised if one of the others is her.

Suzi Perry was in the T.F.I audience last week. wouldn't be surprised if one of the others is her.
    Or Jodie Kidd.

I reckon they'll chuck in a woman

Another option would be some of their repeat guests - rowan Atkinson and steve Coogan maybe

• edited June 2015
    Swisdom said:

Wonder who the other two will be?

Or Jodie Kidd.

Another option would be some of their repeat guests - rowan Atkinson and steve Coogan maybe

Nah, coz that would reduce Evans 'comic' effect (not that Coogan is very funny).
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Or Jodie Kidd.

Maybe they will have that former racing driver who did the lap in the Ferrari on TFI. Can't remember his name.
  • edited June 2015

Swisdom said:

Or Jodie Kidd.

Maybe they will have that former racing driver who did the lap in the Ferrari on TFI. Can't remember his name.
    No one can.

Think Chris Evans will do a good job to be honest.

Philip Glenister would be really good but I reckon Chris Evans might not allow such a big personality to be one of the other presenters.
  • Evans fronted up the VE day celebration show and to be honest apart from Clarkson himself, I can't think of anyone less suitable for that. He is over exposed now (though quite good at what he does well}. Not so good as a frontman for a 1940s reminiscence.

As for Top Gear, aficionados will make up their minds after a couple of shows....
  • I think its a brilliant appointment. CE will excel in this.
  • I can see why he'd been considered a good fit, I just think he's an annoying prick. If they get Suzzzzzzzzzzzzi Perry in as well....

Love or loath them, what made Top Gear popular was the way the three hosts played off each other. Personally I found them annoying and hilarious in equal measure but it'll be very hard to replicate that kind of relationship between the new hosts, especially if you just parachute them in from 3 completely different places.

Dubt they'll get a bone-fide racing driver in as that'll a) make the races between the three of them a bit one sided and b) do the Stig out of a job.
  • Hope Danny Bakers writing his script, otherwise it will be shyte.
  • I expect to see an ex racing driver such as David Coulthard or maybe an ex touring car driver.
  • Plato, Needell, Evans and Perry snoooooooozefest will be like fifth gear, cancelled within 3 years whilst "cocking about with cars" will be number one on Netflix
  • Evans is not only a very good presenter, he's good with show formats too. Top Gear needs some good ideas and I think he's really well suited. I only half watch the show on account of my dislike for James May (of all the celebs I've come across, nobody has acted like a bigger twat than him). The idea of a Top Gear without May and with a host who doesn't talk utter tripe just to get a cheap laugh... it's really promising.

I'm also hoping Danny Baker gets a shot at coming up with ideas for some stunts or writing some scripts. His ideas are usually very funny, even if he doesn't know anything about cars.
  • perfect choice
  • Sponsored links:

• Love or loath them, what made Top Gear popular was the way the three hosts played off each other.

I think this is a myth. They did the same thing every week. It didn't vary for years, there was no added depth in their relationships. I don't see why the format can't work with other presenters. Those three aren't even close to talented enough to back up this belief.
  • recent reports stated that May and the Midget were offered circa £million apiece to continue in the show .. surely there is a better way to waste the licence payers money than overpaying this pair of irritating, facile, babyish twerps .. or are they what 'the public' like nowadays ? .. as for Evans .. an experienced media pro in danger of becoming a bit of a luvvie .. but that happens to far too many BBC regulars
  • Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, everyone forgets the bad stuff and only remembers things fondly. If Evans is given editorial control of Top Gear then I give it five years at most. He is a funny bloke and a top presenter, however his ego runs away with him when it is not manacled securely.

TFI was great, brilliant in fact..........until he started going completely over the top and ruining his brilliant creation, audience figures dropped and he finally stropped off when they announced they were cutting the show.
  • cfgs said:

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, everyone forgets the bad stuff and only remembers things fondly. If Evans is given editorial control of Top Gear then I give it five years at most. He is a funny bloke and a top presenter, however his ego runs away with him when it is not manacled securely.

TFI was great, brilliant in fact..........until he started going completely over the top and ruining his brilliant creation, audience figures dropped and he finally stropped off when they announced they were cutting the show.

Well that was 15 years ago. I was delivering fried chicken and making the tea for Timmy Mallett that year. I hope my employers don't use your appraisal approach in my next PDP.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

cfgs said:

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, everyone forgets the bad stuff and only remembers things fondly. If Evans is given editorial control of Top Gear then I give it five years at most. He is a funny bloke and a top presenter, however his ego runs away with him when it is not manacled securely.

Well that was 15 years ago. I was delivering fried chicken and making the tea for Timmy Mallett that year. I hope my employers don't use your appraisal approach in my next PDP.
    Just saying to all those that think he is great to remember not everything he has done is golden. To be honest car shows normally bore me but I really enjoyed the last few years of Top Gear, even if only one of the presenters wasn't annoying.
  • One of those wait and see situations. Hopefully it's the model that made it successful and not the characters, but we just don't know at this point. I don't enjoy Clarkson's politics, I think he's a bigoted old man, but he was an excellent host of Top Gear.

The saddest part will be that we won't see a return of James May.
  • edited June 2015

One of those wait and see situations. Hopefully it's the model that made it successful and not the characters, but we just don't know at this point. I don't enjoy Clarkson's politics, I think he's a bigoted old man, but he was an excellent host of Top Gear.

The saddest part will be that we won't see a return of James May.

I think he'll be back. He'll just have had a haircut, bought some new shirts and changed his name to Jimmy Might. The small useless one will also be back with a new name of Dick Organ.