Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stadium moves in Italy

How do you think we would have felt if Palace had moved out of Selhurst to build on Crystal Palace Sports Centre leaving us behind to play there ?

That is what AC Milan propose to do in a couple of years time by leaving the San Siro and building their own ground which is going to be only half of the size. I assume Inter are going to remain at what was originally Milan's home stadium .

They are not the first Italian club to do this . A few years ago Juventus moved to a purpose built football ground on the site of the unloved multi sports stadium Stad Dell Alppi . It is said in the old stadium's demolition they found the ball that Chris Waddle sent skying in the 1990 Italia 90 Penalty shoot out .

This was interesting because they left their original pre 1990 ground to inter city rivals Torino when it had been redeveloped for the Winter Olympics opening ceremony .

So now in the cities of Milan and Turin albeit over many decades of ground sharing the grounds have literally swapped clubs .

Although I know Anfield was originally Everton's ground and that Chelsea were only formed because Fulham rejected a move to Stamford Bridge. I can't imagine this would ever happen in in England now.

Comments

• The culture of ground sharing is a bit different over there though isn't it? I imagine Inter fans think of San Siro as their ground these days.
  • A bit weird what is going on over there Milan wanting to move out and build a smaller stadium, while Inter are talking about reducing the size of the San Siro. Italian football doesn't seem to be very healthy at the moment.
  • My favourite stadium
  • When we move to the Greenwich Peninsula in a couple of years, there will be plenty of people moving into The Valley. Well, into the apartments that have been built there anyway.
  • You can't really compare it. The fans have a 'curva' (end) where their hardcore congregate. That is their turf, their spiritual home and hierarchy determines where you stand. You have to earn your place in there.

So Inter strictly have the curva nord, which is why you see 'CN69' banners. I suspect that when Milan move stadiums they will choose their south stand as their heart.

The same goes for Samp and Genoa, Chievo and Verona, Roma and Lazio. Derbies can then also turn into something of a battle of the stadium, for extra spice.
  • A bit weird what is going on over there Milan wanting to move out and build a smaller stadium, while Inter are talking about reducing the size of the San Siro. Italian football doesn't seem to be very healthy at the moment.

Juventus new ground is 26k smaller than the Stadio Delle Alpi (41k new ground, 67k previously). It is indeed odd.

Don't know a great deal about Italian football - corruption and hooliganism seem to be prevalent though, not the ideal background for attracting new support, families etc.
  • Roma are also on a proposed move aswell.

Juves move has worked out very well, great to see the ground packed out and sounds a much better atmosphere. AC Milan are hoping to mirror its success.
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Roma are also on a proposed move aswell.

Juves move has worked out very well, great to see the ground packed out and sounds a much better atmosphere. AC Milan are hoping to mirror its success.

Obviously I can see the merits of having a packed stadium, just seems odd that they shrink the ground to fit the current number of supporters rather than trying to grow the number of people attending games.
  • Who's to say that if English football suffers a loss of interest we won't see the top clubs moving or reducing their stadium capacities. Old Trafford with a capacity of 76k could feel empty with 45k in there. The Emirates with only 40k would feel like a barn.

This is why I am, relatively, happy with West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium. I don't believe they will ever fill it.
  • MrLargo said:

Fiiiiiish said:

Roma are also on a proposed move aswell.

Obviously I can see the merits of having a packed stadium, just seems odd that they shrink the ground to fit the current number of supporters rather than trying to grow the number of people attending games.
    Very different culture to here and trying to get fans in is hard for a few reasons.

Alot of the stadiums are out of date, not great for viewing football (running tracks round the pitch).

Hooliganism has had a massive effect on numbers aswell, aswell as general safety concerns at the football.

But I think mainly it is that most (used to be all) the games can be watched live on tv. Why pay a match ticket for a poor stadia, low crowds, sparse atmosphere when you can watch at home? Clubs need the SKY money to run.

This is why Juve has shown the success of making a smaller ground, better match experience, great infrastructure and is actually a destination to want to visit, whereas although Juve have always been successful, wanting to visit the Della Alpi was not as desirable.
  • Sponsored links:

• The upper tier of the San Siro (built for the world cup) is going to be replaced with space for shops and restaurants bringing the ground down to 60k.

Very strange and what a poor state Italian football is in compared to the 90s.
  • All but the Juventus (spits) stadium are not owned by the clubs. There are a lot of clubs now looking to build their own stadiums (Fiorentina, Roma, Milan off the top of my head). I believe Inter are also going to reduce the size of the San Siro. I think it's a sensible idea, a lot of clubs aren't able to exploit the additional incomes generated by stadiums as they do not own them entirely and also it's never nice watching let alone being at a game with a half empty stadium. The over spending of the 90s has caught up with them and lessons are being slowly learnt. I wonder if the same fate will ever happen to the PL?
  • colthe3rd said:

. I wonder if the same fate will ever happen to the PL?

Fingers crossed!

• It's funny that after watching WC 1990, everyone was envious of their great stadia and how being owned by the local authorities was a big advantage for Italian clubs.

Where clubs in the UK play in grounds part owned by local authorities, there can be arguments about who pays for improvements, especially where the ground is shared with another club (e.g. rugby)
  • Just reading about Superga, and although I support Juve, I'd love to see Grande Torino returned to the Filadelfia. Was amazed that it sits there as a crumbling heap that you can pretty much wander into. Were the best club in the world but never recovered from a plane crash that killed every member of the team. The whole team slipped into decline (although doing ok at the moment) and the old stadium seems to remain as a monument of past glories, like a poor mans coliseum.
  • Just reading about Superga, and although I support Juve, I'd love to see Grande Torino returned to the Filadelfia. Was amazed that it sits there as a crumbling heap that you can pretty much wander into. Were the best club in the world but never recovered from a plane crash that killed every member of the team. The whole team slipped into decline (although doing ok at the moment) and the old stadium seems to remain as a monument of past glories, like a poor mans coliseum.

That is what I do not understand . Why did Juve redevelop the unloved out of town Stad Del Alppi which was only ever built for Italia 90 ?They could have returned to Stadio Olympico which was their stadium before Torino shared it . If Filafelfia still stands it makes the current situation more confusing .

Our classic old grounds like Maine Road get redeveloped very quickly . I understand Inter's original ground the Arena still exists and is used for Athletics and women's matches.
  • Richard J said:

Just reading about Superga, and although I support Juve, I'd love to see Grande Torino returned to the Filadelfia. Was amazed that it sits there as a crumbling heap that you can pretty much wander into. Were the best club in the world but never recovered from a plane crash that killed every member of the team. The whole team slipped into decline (although doing ok at the moment) and the old stadium seems to remain as a monument of past glories, like a poor mans coliseum.

That is what I do not understand . Why did Juve redevelop the unloved out of town Stad Del Alppi which was only ever built for Italia 90 ?They could have returned to Stadio Olympico which was their stadium before Torino shared it . If Filafelfia still stands it makes the current situation more confusing .

Our classic old grounds like Maine Road get redeveloped very quickly . I understand Inter's original ground the Arena still exists and is used for Athletics and women's matches.
    They all hate the Olimpico. Poor for atmosphere, cold and windy. Pretty apt for Turin as a whole really.