Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carl Zeiss Jena v Union Berlin "B" Match Thread :-)

Yes! Live coverage of the Big Game of the weekend. I'm joining @GlassHalfFull on his goodwill visit to Jena. Not sure that we will actually bring you all the action, but maybe some photos . We have a stadium tour afterwards. Hope the Trust blacklist hasn't gone international :-))

Comments

• Well here we are, very good beer at seat for €2.50, obligatory bratwurst too. Match has just started
  • Line ups?
  • Is that €2.50 for a beer and a sausage or extra for the sausage. More importantly do they have a veggie option?
  • Line ups?

Unmöglich

But you are unlikely to see any of them turning up at the Valley anytime soon

The Union team is actually their U23 team.

Bumper crowd we think. First home game after the winter break and the weather is glorious.
  • Enjoy yourselves. Say hello to GHF for me!
  • Enjoy yourselves. Say hello to GHF for me!

Just done that for you Jean.

Second half begins. Jena had most of the possession and all the chances but it remains goalless.
  • Torrrrrrrrrrr! Jena take the lead, Jovanovic capitalized on a back pass and rounded the keeper. Good for him, up until then he'd been complete scheiße
  • Torrrr!!! 2-0 . Jena cut through the middle, three against two and Timo Schmidt tucks it away. Nice goal.looks like a Luzon style team talk took place at half time
  • Torrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

3-0 again three on two! Hettich cuts in from the right , two men waiting but he buries it himself, the greedy Schwein
  • Get in
  • Sponsored links:

• Attendance 4,941, more than double their average. Guess we will find out why later when we get the stadium tour.
  • Line ups?

Unmöglich

But you are unlikely to see any of them turning up at the Valley anytime soon

The Union team is actually their U23 team.

Bumper crowd we think. First home game after the winter break and the weather is glorious.
    Is every player called Unmoglich?
  • Are the 4,941 all chanting RD's name now?
  • The ref blows the final whistle. Jena walked that in truth. Union looked what they are, a reserve team. No injury time at all played, despite there being several.

Magdeburg are running away at the top and there is only one team promoted.
  • Sounds like an all DDR division Prague.

German tier 4 = regional league.

German tier 4 = regional league.
    Ah, that would explain it.
  • Well, afterwards was a real education. Not just on the current situation, but also Jena's past. I really should have swotted up on the history, and remembered that Jena is also a fallen European giant from the 80s. Won at West Brom, among other feats.

Will try and post some fotos tomorrow. GHF presented one of the ceramic poppies from the Tower to Andreas Trautmann of FCC (that's their favourite shorthand for the club name) on behalf of Charlton fans.

Oh and cancel my previous post about the league table. I'd been looking at an out of date one on Soccerway. Zwickau are top, Magdeburg on their heels. FCC are in 4th, with a seven point gap to make up. But the FCC story is about far more than this seasons table, as we've now learnt.
  • Thanks for letting us know how the adventure is going, PA.

Pleased to hear that you're both having a great day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pleased the day is going well for both of you.

Well, afterwards was a real education. Not just on the current situation, but also Jena's past. I really should have swotted up on the history, and remembered that Jena is also a fallen European giant from the 80s. Won at West Brom, among other feats.

Will try and post some fotos tomorrow. GHF presented one of the ceramic poppies from the Tower to Andreas Trautmann of FCC (that's their favourite shorthand for the club name) on behalf of Charlton fans.

Oh and cancel my previous post about the league table. I'd been looking at an out of date one on Soccerway. Zwickau are top, Magdeburg on their heels. FCC are in 4th, with a seven point gap to make up. But the FCC story is about far more than this seasons table, as we've now learnt.

Bit of a non sequitur there. :-)

Were they heavily subsidised by the DDR state during their glory years? My guess is that would originally have happened because there weren't enough big clubs in the DDR.

Well, afterwards was a real education. Not just on the current situation, but also Jena's past. I really should have swotted up on the history, and remembered that Jena is also a fallen European giant from the 80s. Won at West Brom, among other feats.

Bit of a non sequitur there. :-)

Were they heavily subsidised by the DDR state during their glory years? My guess is that would originally have happened because there weren't enough big clubs in the DDR.
    I don't think they were an especially favoured club. When I say "giant" I meant that they had some European adventures ( more than we have managed) but they were not favoured in the way that happened in those countries. There would have been an Army team and probably a police team or the favourite team of the "nomenklatura" . in Czechoslovakia that was Dukla and Sparta respectively. I'll have to find out who the DDR big wigs were, but no, not Jena. Too small a place for starters, only 120,000 population. But actually in European terms, bigger than us :-(

• I would imagine that originally they were part of the lens factory?
  • I don't know anything about it, tbh, but,this wiki page suggests they would have been one of the FCs that were favoured: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_club_%28GDR%29

They were also a "focus centre" for development of players for the national side, apparently.

As far as I can see, there was a fortuitous element in it that they were a smaller club that got into the top rank around 1960 under their own steam, at just the right time to benefit from the above arrangements.

Lokomotiv, Red Star... all those names had a certain exotic excitement to them.
  • Think Dynamo Dresden and Dynamo Berlin were the favoured clubs of the secret police.
  • Think Dynamo Dresden and Dynamo Berlin were the favoured clubs of the secret police.

I just read on wiki that Dynamo = police club and Vorwaerts = army club.
  • Yes, I remembered the name of Vorwaerts. Neither they nor Dynamo Berlin exist anymore, and I think Dynamo Dresden went under, only to be reformed. Lokomotiv Leipzig has gone too. You didn't want to travel to any of them on a cold dark night in February for a European Cup tie.
  • I think Berliner FC Dynamo still exist
  • Look forward to reading more about the trip chaps