Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Ath vs Huddersfield T | Sat 28th Feb 2015 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic vs Huddersfield Town
3pm Kick-Off
Referee – JAMES LININGTON

INTRODUCTION

It’s been a long time coming.

This time last year, Chris Powell had just lead his Charlton side to the FA Cup quarter final. Fast forward to the present day and the former Addick is will be overseeing Huddersfield Town at The Valley on Saturday.

Regardless of how you viewed Powell as a manager or even a player, his achievements with the club should not be neglected and with a predicted sell-out crowd packed in to see him as well as the game, he is likely to receive a generous welcome.

However, despite the circumstances off the pitch, hopefully the fans will get behind their own side to possibly secure a third win in four games.

Previous encounters between the two sides have seen some very memorable games indeed. If Saturday is anything like the 7-6 game in 1957 or more recently, the 2-0 victory for Charlton that at the time, destroyed the Terriers’ 43 unbeaten streak, then I’m sure the #FootballForAFiver crowd will be returning to SE7 on a regular basis.

THE OPPOSITION

Since Powell took over in September, Huddersfield have been pretty solid throughout the season in mid-table.

They are currently in 12th place following a very impressive 3-0 victory over Reading in midweek with Harry Bunn, Nahki Wells and Ishmael Miller getting on the scoresheet.

But, Powell will be hoping that Wells, Sean Scannell and Conor Coady will all be available as the trio are doubts for this weekend's fixture. Wells picked up a shoulder injury during the win on Tuesday, while Scannell and Coady missed the Reading game through a hamstring issue and illness respectively.

However, the Terriers boss does still have a strong squad even if the three players are not able to play. In midfield, Jacob Butterfield is a tidy player, while Mark Hudson will be keen to make an impression on his return to The Valley following his rather unforgettable spell in the 2008-09 campaign.

ONE TO WATCH – HARRY BUNN

My player to watch this weekend is Huddersfield striker: Harry Bunn.

I could have very easily have taken the predictable route of selecting our former manager as one to watch, but Bunn deserves a mention.

The 22-year-old has been a regular feature in Powell’s side this season and has managed to pick up eight goals in this campaign.

He played in a number ten role on Tuesday behind the two main strikers and he may be selected to start there again depending on how Powell approaches the game.

Nevertheless, his pace and versatility should not be overlooked and will be one to watch this weekend.

LINE-UP

Guy Luzon will be looking for his side to bounce back following a 2-0 defeat to league-leaders Derby on Tuesday, but he probably will not change too much ahead of Saturday’s home tie.

In goal, Stephen Henderson will keep his place.

The back-four of Solly, Ben Haim, Johnson and Fox should continue unless Rhoys Wiggins makes an unlikely comeback from injury.

In midfield, Jordan Cousins should be fit enough to start again after missing the midweek action. He may be joined in centre midfield by recent signing Alou Diarra who came off the bench on Tuesday night for his debut. Yoni Buyens will probably start if Diarra or Cousins are not quite fit enough to play.

On the wings, Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Frederic Bulot should retain their spots while Tony Watt and Igor Vetokele will hope to keep their exciting partnership upfront.

PREDICTION

On paper, I just can not separate these two sides.

Charlton Athletic 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Comments

• Options
    We'll sneak this 2-1 and the masses will be tempted in to buying a season ticket for next season (I hope)
    I'll be lucky enough to get all emotional about a returning footballing hero of mine
    (An experience that many will miss out on ) and I don't mean Mark Hudson !

Academy day as well , I believe, so give the boys a cheer

Been invited by a mate into Centre Circle lounge so prawn sandwiches all round and a beer or ten
    Scum mate( who doesn't go anymore , shock horror ) is taking his son to his first game and using my tickets so hopefully the kid can be brainwashed !
  • Options
    1-2
  • Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    First game in a while for me as I have major man love for Chris Powell and want to give him the reception he deserves.

1-1
  • Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    3-2
  • Options
    Desmond.
  • Options
    Entertaining score draw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 to us. We are recovering well and Derby was a slight set back but the team still has the determination.
  • Options
    It's a good line up, and I actually feel confident in our whole team (well 10 of 11) for the first time in a while thanks to recent signings. Time to drop Buyens. With Eagles off the bench and barring any injuries I think we'll sneak this 2-1.
  • Options
    2-1 to CAFC Red and too much White Army.
  • Options
    Like the look of that team. Power in the middle, pace on the wings and two decent strikers. If the back four stay resolute then I reckon a 2-0 to us.
  • Options
    We're due a big win. Our current crop of players probably wouldn't be able to pick Chris Powell out in a police line-up so I can't see them being phased by the returning hero. 5-0 to us.
  • Options
    4-1 to us
  • Options
    3-2 Charlton
    Cousins, Johnson and Watt
  • Options
    if we start with the team in the OP preview then we'll win 3-1 I think.
  • Options
    Like the team and very confident of 3 points. 3-1 to the Addicks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As much as Bulot has played well and I would let him keep his place I reckon Eagles may come in for him...
  • Options
    I think we'll do 'em 2-0.
  • Options
    Strong line-up that would be and i fancy us to win 3-1.
  • Options
    If it's Stubley's team that starts then a 3-1win. If Cousins is still injured and Buyens is starting then a high scoring draw.
  • Options
    1-0 win
  • Options
    2-0 Win to Guy Luzon's and formerly Chris Powell's red army!! Watt and Diarra
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Looks likely to be drawn, but it's a funny old league, so in hope 3-2 for a rare big crowd win.
  • Options
    Home win .. minimal changes from midweek (but oh for a decent left back). Good luck to Chris Powell, but definitely NOT in this one

CAFC 2 v Huddersfield Town 0
  • Options
    Promotional games generally mean 90 minutes of dire football of the sort that puts of any potential supporters for 5 years...