Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derby vs Charlton | Tue 24th Feb 2015 | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions,News &Views

Derby County v Charlton Athletic
7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: David Coote (Nottinghamshire)

Introduction
First off apologies for the delay in producing the latest match preview… Only two weeks ago it was doom and gloom around the Valley, without a win since November very few people could see where the next victory was coming from and on the face of the first half against Norwich City that win looked ever further away, at half-time though Guy Luzon decided to change it and Tony Watt was brought in to spearhead the attack alongside Igor Vetokele… Despite a brave comeback, the Addicks would still lose that night yet since then we’ve been on cloud nine, with Goalkeeper: Stephen Henderson finally returning alongside the transformation of Frederic Bulot, Charlton have looked a completely different team with the two wins having been richly deserved, and so we go on to our next away match against a side that we’ve already beaten this season, in high flying Derby County.

The Opposition
Continuing with tradition; Charlton have already faced their Tuesday night opposition twice this season with both sides all square on the head2head results; in the League, Derby were a stern test for only our second home game of the season yet it would be the Addicks who would take all three points with goals from George Tucudean, Yoni Buyens and Igor Vetokele ensuring a 3-2 win… The second match against the two sides would come in the League Cup and with the tie all square and heading for extra-time; Ivan Calero would step up to seal a 1-0 victory for the Rams late in the match.

After reaching the Play-Off final last season, they were tipped by many to achieve promotion back to the Premier League but despite having a man advantage they would go on to lose to Queens Park Rangers, that piece of un-luck would see Derby tipped by many as favourites for the Championship title this season and so far they havent disappointed.

Since defeat at the Valley (Derby’s first of their campaign), the Rams have only lost on five other occasions with the most recent coming at the iPro Stadium against fierce rivals: Nottingham Forest, forever around the top three they are currently locked in a three way battle with Middlesbrough and AFC Bournemouth yet even they are still not assured of a play-off place… Just seven points separate them from seventh and one slip for Derby could prove very costly.

Player to Watch
It’s pretty obvious this week isn’t it? – Derby County as expected are currently flowing with talent, they have the likes of Tom Ince and Will Hughes (who will surely be playing Premier League football soon regardless of the team he lines up for) and going through the history books for links between the two sides you only have to look at two recent servants for Charlton in Chris Powell and Andy Todd whilst Johnnie Jackson in the current Charlton ranks could have lined up against an old loan side where he made 6-appearances in 2005.

As already mentioned though its pretty difficult to look past a Charlton Legend in recent years… Starting his career at Ipswich Town, he would go on to be one of the Championship’s most dangerous Strikers before making his move to the Valley in 2005 where he would score over 30-goals in just a two year spell earning him the first of his England caps, of course the man I mention is none other than Darren Bent.

Despite his prowess in front of goal, Bent would fail to keep Charlton in the Premier League and as expected would depart the Valley that summer, spells at Tottenham, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Fulham have since come and gone and to many Darren Bent is a shadow of his former self, he would arrive at Derby on loan this season and has instantly proved those doubters wrong, in six appearances he has five goals and for the first time since leaving Charlton will be up against his old side, even should Darren Bent score in todays fixture am sure it will provoke many happy memories amongst some fellow Addicks who had the joy to see him play (especially if we win and its just a consolation goal).

Line-Up
The main talking point will be around Yoni Buyens, earning his 10th yellow card of the season against Wigan on Friday many would expect him to miss tonight through suspension yet there has been no official comment from the club on this, should he miss out you could expect to see new signing: Alou Diarra alongside Jordan Cousins in the centre, any other changes would be a surprise as Guy Luzon will want to continue his sides good form.

Henderson
Solly – Ben-Haim – Johnson – Fox
Gudmundsson – Cousins – Buyens – Bulot
Vetokele – Watt

Substitutes Bench: Dmitrovic – Gomez – Bikey – Eagles – Diarra – Wilson – Harriott

Prediction
Derby County 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Sweet, FA, better late than never. :wink:
  • Referee: David Coote (Nottinghamshire)
    Let's hope he dislikes Derby.
  • edited February 2015
    Come on you Reds!
  • I would love a draw, cant see a win, they are a class team.
    I think they will be way too strong, especially if Luzon tinkers.

Heart says 1-1
    Head says 3-1
  • SCARFIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2-0 Derby
  • Titanic struggle during which the new tough look CAFC will get at least a point. Our nippy and skilful new front pair (you better had select Vetokele and Watt M Luzon) will cause what can be a ponderous Derby central defence a lot of problems and our new look defence with M Johnson to the fore can master a very useful Derby attack ... Midfield ? .. they're good .. watch out for Ince coming from deep .. he is playing out of his skin ... Hughes ? does not like being tightly marked, so get on him M Cousins. I am REALLY looking forward to this one ...

Derby County 2 v CAFC 2
  • take a point
    but a small defeat will suffice
  • Would love a point but I think Derby will win
  • Last five games:

Derby scored 13, conceded 10
    Charlton scored ten, conceded 7

Prepare for goals.
  • Sponsored links:

• Derby 2-1
    Bent, Ince and Igor with the goals
  • 1. Don't change a winning team.
    2. Results at the weekend once again showed that there's not a lot of difference between the sides in this league so no reason we shouldn't go there with hopes of getting a point at least.
  • It's just the question of who replaces Buyens, if he is suspended.

If Cousins is the CM engine, we just need someone with good passing ability/creativity beside him.
    Probably not Le Point (IMO cover for Cousins).

Maybe Alou, if fit.
    Or even Eagles (sorry can't say that) ........ Chrissy Goals, to add good passing and creativity.

• 2 - 3

bent (2) and igor, eagals and with a slight smile on Bents face after the ball bounces of his shin to end up in the back of the net in the 91st miniute to give us the win leads to heated specualation that he did it on purpose. only he will know.
  • edited February 2015

Last five games:

Derby scored 13, conceded 10
    Charlton scored ten, conceded 7

Prepare for goals. a boring 0-0 draw

Fixed ;)
  • My comments taken from another thread this morning-:

MY local TV BBC programme on breakfast this morning (East Midlands) had an interview with Paul Simpson (First Team coach @ Derby) he said that tonight will not be an easy game for them. He said we have come into form and had 2 very good 3 -0 wins, we have two strikers in form and for Derby supporters not to "expect" a win. Weather up here is bitterly cold and the wind is blowing a gale at the moment, forecast for tonight is rain on and off.
    I'll be doing the match thread from 6.45. I think we could get a point here tonight and surprise a few people 1-1
  • I think we can nick a score draw. First goal will be key.
  • Comfortable away win 3-0.
  • Very tough match but they only beat Wendies 3-2 on Saturday while we are flying. Couldn't be a much better time to play them. If we continue in top form and they have a bit of an off night we could grab a result - and none of us with a couple of brain cells would have said that a couple of weeks ago.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw.
  • Can't see anything other than a 3-0 away win with Bulot getting at least one.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this interview with Jake Buxton from Derby:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Jake-Buxton-says-Addicks-good-8217/story-26070850-detail/story.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

Very tough match but they only beat Wendies 3-2 on Saturday while we are flying.

Although Derby did fight back from being a goal down, to win against Wednesday.

Derby do seem to concede easily, but they have goals in the team - and evidently a good fighting team spirit. Not to be underestimated.

• Inspired by the scarf to a good away point, 1-1, late watts goal.
  • If Yoni is out its a choice between Eagles (creative but may leave us open against free flowing Derby) and Le Point (on the face of it a straight replacement for Yoni but a heavy risk that he is useless on the limited evidence so far). Cant see Diarra being thrown straight in. Think I'd go for Eagles. I'd as soon lose 4-3 than 1-0. Mind you If he doesn't get in I really can't see "le point" in signing Le Point.

Wouldn't be utterly surprised if we got something here.
  • First match I'm going to in a while as it's now a local one. Tony Watt to get the winner, 2-1 Charlton.

Hopefully see a decent turnout, COYR
  • I'd play Eagles on the right and gamble with J B-G in the middle with Cousins. This game is a free hit after the last two results
  • Buyens is not banned for tonight's match
  • The Wally in the Brolly and I believe rain is forecast for tonight.

3-2 again to Charlton with Bent scoring both for them after out pacing our CB's.
  • We are 6-1 tonight to win, i know we are outsiders but we have hit a bit of form and they struggled to get past an out of form Sheffield Wednesday with 10 men. I wouldn't normally bet on us in a match like this but i think there is a bit of value to be had tonight.