Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Leader's return - Dennis is back

Comments

• Options
    I'm sure somebody posted a pic on here of our prodigal son. Please post again for the return of a legend.
    Dennis not Powell.
  • Options
    Dennis doesn't past the height test.
    Nor the eye test.
  • Options
    Wonder if he still gets the train , spent many a train journey with him moaning about the trains.Nearly as much about referees and Charlton , he used to get off at Grove Park me at Orpington.My mate used to call him 10 to 2,when he walked that's the way his feet faced
  • Options
    I was sitting a couple of rows down from the Pompey punch up, what probably didn't help was that everyone was getting more and more irritated as the day went on - we needed three points from six games or something to seal promotion, and we were lurching and stuttering towards the line. That being said, it quickly got pretty nasty, there were no OB around and it just went on and on. One steward, who looked about 90, tried to calm things down but wisely withdrew, the younger ones were nowhere to be seen. At the next game there were a couple of blokes stationed there who looked like extras from Snatch, but nothing happened and I don't recall anything like it since.
  • Options
    Save him asit on the coach,many good times had with him away on Lewis Coaches.Home games spent in The Covered End just behind the goal good group of us back in the 70s.Happy Days of youth.
  • Options
    Why didn't the Trust go for an exclusive interview with the other Charlton legend coming back to the Valley Saturday?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Why didn't the Trust go for an exclusive interview with the other Charlton legend coming back to the Valley Saturday?

They were worried he might say "No comment".
  • Options
    Can anybody give me a Dennis update. I hope he enjoyed the game.
  • Options
    Sounds like a complete tosser to me. Arse who likes to ruck comes back to football, yawn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Sounds like a complete tosser to me. Arse who likes to ruck comes back to football, yawn.

You are the one who sounds like a tosser, Dennis was never someone who likes a ruck. He was just a personality from years ago who was always present at games...

• Options
    redbuttle said:

iainment said:

You are the one who sounds like a tosser, Dennis was never someone who liked a ruck. He was just a personality from years ago who was always present at games...

• Options
    Was Dennis at the Blackpool away game where we lost 5-3 in 2008 (I think!)? Seem to remember a bloke in glasses getting manhandled out by the stewards for not giving the ball back to Luke Varney in the first minute or so
  • Options
    iainment said:

Never saw Denis get involved in any trouble,and there was plenty around at the time.Just diehard Charlton
  • Options
    iainment said:

iainment said:

Never saw Denis get involved in any trouble,and there was plenty around at the time.Just diehard Charlton
    Yes indeed,
    the `Dennis is our leader' was a bit of irony, he wasn't really our leader.
    Possibly we had more of a sense of humour then.

We also used to sing `Tommy wants to go wee wee' at a bloke who always needed the toilet 5 minutes into any coach trip.
  • Options
    Iainment. He was far from a football hooligan. He was passionate about the club. He couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag in truth. But he was always there at every game. It would be funny to stand near him just for the entertainment value. His exile from charlton I believe was because he was caring for his unwell mother. The leader tag came when he was about 18 when forest attempted to take the covered end. In his rage he was trying to rally anyone who would support him to take back the covered end. After that people would singed Dennis is our leader. He wasn't malicious.
  • Options
    Dennis just had an opinion that's all. No different to any of us on here really. All I know, home or away he was there, even in the darkest times. A completely harmless bloke.
  • Options
    There were 3 fellas in front of us today who were telling us some tales from their bmob days, one of them, Billy? Said he done a streak against Aston Villa amongst some other antics! We were in west upper, right at the back next to the quadrant, great view from up there!
  • Options
    Yep, that was Billy.
  • Options
    He's put a few pound on sice those b mob days. Shame he never put it on in the right place. Mind you it was a cold night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't we all? Just been jogging and was blowing out my arse after 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Saw him as I was walking out after the game yesterday .30 years older than when I last saw him .Unmistakable a true legend .As was stated above very vocal but never a fighter.Top man.
  • Options
    iainment said:

You clearly don't know Dennis and haven't gone through this thread properly. I wish people wouldn't make judgements without reading .

I am pleased to report he enjoyed his return and will be back regularly now . He even talked about doing a long distance away game before the end of the season . I hope he will be at the Blackburn game and be at the Den on Good Friday. He showed an in interest in visiting the museum .

Unfortunately he doesn't shout as much these days and in terms of his appearance he now looks more like Fabio Capello than Elvis Costello.

Probably the best moment of yesterday for me was when Dennis and @Miserableoldgit met pre match . For me that was proper old school my Charlton .

• Options
    iainment said:

"Likes to ruck"....LOL.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

iainment said:

You clearly don't know Dennis and haven't gone through this thread properly. I wish people wouldn't make judgements without reading .

I am pleased to report he enjoyed his return and will be back regularly now . He even talked about doing a long distance away game before the end of the season . I hope he will be at the Blackburn game and be at the Den on Good Friday. He showed an in interest in visiting the museum .

Unfortunately he doesn't shout as much these days and in terms of his appearance he now looks more like Fabio Capello than Elvis Costello.

Probably the best moment of yesterday for me was when Dennis and @Miserableoldgit met pre match . For me that was proper old school my Charlton .

More Hank Marvin then Elvis surely.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Apologies. Misread/misunderstood the posts above.
  • Options
    I can confirm that the leader will be at Millwall on Good Friday.
  • Options
    I saw the great man before the Huddersfield game - I was going to get on the floor and give it the "We are not worthy" but the North Stand gents probably ain't the best place for such things. Good to see him back though, as proper Charlton as it gets.
  • Options
    On the train to Plymouth with the great man.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Richard J said:

On the train to Plymouth with the great man.

Remind him of the 7-1 defeat away to Burnley...."the ref stinked....like your dog, police officer"...fukcing hilarious.