Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Running with the Firm (the book based on the film ID)

Got bought this as a birthday present recently. Looking like a decent little read so far. I don't usually go in for this type of book (gangster/violence related), but the fact it is to do with football is interesting.

The author says he reveals more than the film so looking forward to finishing it. Probably reminds our friends @Big_Bad_World and @MillwallFan of lost seasons gone by, filling up their thermos flasks on the old football special and doing the Guardian crossword before they pulled into Elland Road for a good ol' meet up ;-)

Comments

• edited February 2015
    It's a good book, very interesting and provides a lot of background that wasn't apparent in the film.

Not a glorified 'hoolie' book but an insight into how undercover OB work and how they can get caught up in the actions of a firm..
  • @cabbles, this book has been discussed at length amongst those that were there, saw it and still have the t-shirt sitting in a drawer somewhere hoping that those days make a reappearance, and none of them remember this James Bannon as being in the midst of it all. A few have said that they vaguely remember him as one that stood on the peripheries without actually getting involved or being welcomed into the inner sanctum of the 'firm'.

I haven't read it as it would appear that a lot of it is a work of fiction being passed off as reality.
  • @cabbles, this book has been discussed at length amongst those that were there, saw it and still have the t-shirt sitting in a drawer somewhere hoping that those days make a reappearance, and none of them remember this James Bannon as being in the midst of it all. A few have said that they vaguely remember him as one that stood on the peripheries without actually getting involved or being welcomed into the inner sanctum of the 'firm'.

I haven't read it as it would appear that a lot of it is a work of fiction being passed off as reality.

Most probably. I'm just at the point where I think it is your promotion season to Div 1. Did you start that season drawing 1-1 away at M'Boro?
  • Read it on holiday last summer. Decent little book, not sure I believe a fair chunk of it though.
  • edited February 2015
    cabbles said:

@cabbles, this book has been discussed at length amongst those that were there, saw it and still have the t-shirt sitting in a drawer somewhere hoping that those days make a reappearance, and none of them remember this James Bannon as being in the midst of it all. A few have said that they vaguely remember him as one that stood on the peripheries without actually getting involved or being welcomed into the inner sanctum of the 'firm'.

Most probably. I'm just at the point where I think it is your promotion season to Div 1. Did you start that season drawing 1-1 away at M'Boro?
    That's the one. Sheringham scored for us if memory serves me correctly?!

• cabbles said:

@cabbles, this book has been discussed at length amongst those that were there, saw it and still have the t-shirt sitting in a drawer somewhere hoping that those days make a reappearance, and none of them remember this James Bannon as being in the midst of it all. A few have said that they vaguely remember him as one that stood on the peripheries without actually getting involved or being welcomed into the inner sanctum of the 'firm'.

That's the one. Sheringham scored for us if memory serves me correctly?!

Unfortunately Old James Bannon omits any football facts which is a shame. He also says that he got quite into it (it being supporting Millwall, not the violence), which I imagine was due in part to getting promoted. It might be worth a read if you can separate the hooligan side out of it. It's well written.
  • @Big_Bad_World I've just got up to the bit where you won promotion that season. Penultimate game you won away at Hull 1-0. You lost at home to Blackburn on the final day 4-1. But he mentions something I guess was true. He said that your manager Docherty appeared outside that pub the puffin after the Blackburn game with the 2nd Div trophy.

Is this the creative licence you talk of, or did this happen.

It is quite an interesting book
  • heard the author talk about it on talksports sportsbar when it was first released, sounded good
  • One mention of us. Jan 2nd 1989. He referenced some Charlton hardcore that stood to face him when there was some trouble after the game. That did make me chuckle.......