Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Let's chip in for a 'Wrong One Roland Out, Plane Banner

I remember this getting a lot of publicity at the time when Man Utd fans done it, I think it cost about a thousand which I'm sure we could raise on here easy enough.
It would be good to do on the match we have football for a fiver as it will be almost a full house.
It gets the message across without attacking the players. Any other suggestions for the wording?

Comments

• See elsewhere ...plane won't get permission
  • Would have to fly it in Belgium for him to see it...
  • edited February 2015

Seeing there's always commercial flights going over the valley during the games, I'd imagine it's on a flight path, so might well be a problem........

Edit: I do have a radio controlled helicopter. We can write a message on a hanky and hang it from the helicopter if that helps and I'll only charge £200 (as long as you supply the hanky)

I seem to remember a few parachutists being dropped in to the valley a couple of years ago...? ;)

You do, however, touch upon an interesting point - we all have different skills and interests that outweigh that of the football club. If people could donate, realistically, one hour each, how many man hours could be put in to something a little different? We have more skills, numbers and talent than that employed by the club alone.

For example, there's a few ex-advertising agency bods here and so on who could probably knock together the basis of a simple social media campaign in a few hours, and there must be a few developers here who could knock something together in a similar time span. That's only one example, but think of an example per industry that is represented in our fan-base and potentially you could have a few projects kicking off at the same time creating a multi-pronged attack against what's going on at Charlton Athletic.

Such an onslaught of publicity vectors would undoubtedly cause the club a number of problems..
  • LuckyReds said:

Seeing there's always commercial flights going over the valley during the games, I'd imagine it's on a flight path, so might well be a problem........

Edit: I do have a radio controlled helicopter. We can write a message on a hanky and hang it from the helicopter if that helps and I'll only charge £200 (as long as you supply the hanky)

I seem to remember a few parachutists being dropped in to the valley a couple of years ago...? ;)

You do, however, touch upon an interesting point - we all have different skills and interests that outweigh that of the football club. If people could donate, realistically, one hour each, how many man hours could be put in to something a little different? We have more skills, numbers and talent than that employed by the club alone.

For example, there's a few ex-advertising agency bods here and so on who could probably knock together the basis of a simple social media campaign in a few hours, and there must be a few developers here who could knock something together in a similar time span. That's only one example, but think of an example per industry that is represented in our fan-base and potentially you could have a few projects kicking off at the same time creating a multi-pronged attack against what's going on at Charlton Athletic.

Such an onslaught of publicity vectors would undoubtedly cause the club a number of problems..
    And that is the point exactly behind the meeting...... Getting fan's to come up with some imaginative way's of getting the 'club' to explain this vision, and come up with way's to persuade the owner to listen, and engage with the supporter network. Of course we first have to get supporters to work together, and formulate those ideas. Plenty of people on here that have all sort's of skills and ideas, just as capable as the people who normally come forward. Siting on your arse, and moaning about it, and complaining that 'this and that' will not change sweet FA.!
    It might make you feel better, for a few moments.....
    Of course you need people with certain skills and expertise, but what you need are people with passion and commitment, that can work together, to deliver some solutions. We can all be part of this, or are we all so terribly busy, and expect others to do it for them....... then moan about it!.

• If it's a problem at The Valley could we not do it at an away game?
  • Reassuring Millwall can't fly one over on the last game of the season then!
  • waste of time and money do you think he'll give a shit
  • If anyone thinks that Roland will give any thought to this idea, they are deluded. Leave it to next weeks meeting where we will have some good brains and widely experienced people available.
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if it would be possible to force abandonment of matches if three or four people stationed outside the Valley flew a relay of drones around the playing area.
  • seth plum said:

I wonder if it would be possible to force abandonment of matches if three or four people stationed outside the Valley flew a relay of drones around the playing area.

What, and get the club fined so Roland is out of pocket?!
  • I don't expect Roland to care or see it, as I made clear it was about to getting publicity about what is going on at the club. The media concentrate on the performances on the pitch, but they are directly related to the way the club is being run.

Didn't think the proximity of The Valley to City Airport or other flight paths would cause any more of a problem than Old Trafford to Manchester Airport. I agree it wouldn't be easy or even possible, just another thing to consider.

So many threads about club I did look around to see if it was mentioned.

Don't agree with boycotting matches so was trying to think of something else,

Monkey Tennis
  • RedPanda said:

seth plum said:

I wonder if it would be possible to force abandonment of matches if three or four people stationed outside the Valley flew a relay of drones around the playing area.

What, and get the club fined so Roland is out of pocket?!
    You couldn't fine the club if drones were introduced from outside the stadium.

• People have been arrested for flying drones near football grounds. I believe you can be fined up to £5000.
  • edited February 2015
    seth plum said:

You couldn't fine the club if drones were introduced from outside the stadium.

No that was my point. Getting the club fined only hurts Roland. If there were a few (legal) things we could do which resulted in a few invoices coming our way it would only hurt one person, and where it hurts him most.

• No the fine I mention is for the individual involved, although there may be sanction against the club.

• People have been arrested for flying drones near football grounds. I believe you can be fined up to £5000.

Really. What if someone flew a drone in Danson Park next to Welling's ground, would they get a fine? Has the law caught up with the drone thingy yet? I understand you can get cheap drones with no cameras.

• Seth regarding the park - potentially yes, appears to depend on circumstances, if Welling were at home it would appear more likely
  • I suggest we try and get behind the manager and the team so we don't have to play In Lg1 next season. If we go down, then time to launch a campaign, timing now would be bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    seth plum said:

People have been arrested for flying drones near football grounds. I believe you can be fined up to £5000.

Really. What if someone flew a drone in Danson Park next to Welling's ground, would they get a fine? Has the law caught up with the drone thingy yet? I understand you can get cheap drones with no cameras.
    There are strict CAA rules already in place for the flying of drones within certain parameters of people, and property, especially people in sports stadia. The authorities are not treating those who flout these rules lightly at the moment.

"Regulation in UK depends on weight and purpose of the UAS; under 150kg the CAA regulates under the Air Navigation Order 2009 (ANO), the Air Regulations and CAA own Civil Aviation Publication 722 (CAP). Over 150kg the full force of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) may come calling on you....

Most Amateurs will have seen ads for UAS under 20kg or "small unmanned aircraft" (SUA). ANO 223 exempts these from most manned aircraft regs eg registration and airworthiness. BUT ANO 138 applies to all "aircraft" - it's a serious criminal offence to recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

AUS are specifically regulated by ANO 166 and 167; the operator MUST maintain direct visual contact with the aircraft AND must NOT fly it :
    A. Higher than 400ft (curiously not expressed in metres) above ground
    B. Over or within 150m of any "congested area"
    C. Over or within 150m of an "organised open air assembly of over 1,000 persons"
    D. Within 50m of any "vessel, vehicle or structure" not under the operators control
    E. Within 50m of "any" person
    F. For any commercial purpose (hard luck Amazon!).

Interpretation is likely to be in accordance with the "mischief rule" in
    Other words interpretation strictly to deal with the mischief in question.

Over 20kg, drones are subject to regulation as if manned eg registration, airworthiness, permission to fly and pilot qualification."
  • Clearly the drone thing is a non runner, non flyer.
  • Drone innit
  • This article is about Palace's attempt to fly a plane over The Valley:

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/Police-called-Charlton-fan-s-bid-stop-Palace-relegation-celebration/story-11364663-detail/story.html

This is the bit relevant to us, although for any of you who've managed to forget what an absolute bunch of tools they are, it's worth reading Palace fan Kevin Dunn's quotes. Kevin is 44, lives alone, and lists his interests as Hollyoaks, model crafting using pasta shapes, and collecting old Clearasil bottles.

In the end the plan had to be abandoned, although it had nothing to do with any threat.

Instead the pilot's request to fly over south east London was turned down by the Civil Aviation Authority because of fears over where the plane could safely land if it suffered engine failure.

Palace fans had raised £800 to pay for the banner.

There was a thread about it on their message board that had a bit more detail about why it was turned down, but I can't find that. The fact that we had parachutists at The Valley the other year suggests it might be possible to do something, although personally I think that their are better ways to spend that sort of money than on a publicity stunt that's been and gone within a few minutes. I would rather see it spent on something similar to the Man U green and yellow scarves (which I think someone has suggested elsewhere), or on banners/flags etc - something that can be used repeatedly over a sustained period.
  • £800?

Wow, that's a lot of money to splash out on winding up a club you don't care about.........
  • £800?

Wow, that's a lot of money pocket money to splash out on winding up a club you don't care about.........

• Pleased to see this idea finally got off the ground, I must admit never considered an away match, if it was considered worthwhile maybe next time a televised away game if suitable.
  • sholland said:

Pleased to see this idea finally got off the ground, I must admit never considered an away match, if it was considered worthwhile maybe next time a televised away game if suitable.

Ah, I see what you did there! ;)
  • sholland said:

Pleased to see this idea finally got off the ground, I must admit never considered an away match, if it was considered worthwhile maybe next time a televised away game if suitable.

Very good! I see what you did there :wink: .