Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

For the first time since the Premier League began...

There is no Scottish manager

Comments

• Options
    At last!
  • Options
    Erm.....
  • Options
    #VoteYes
  • Options
    I blame Andy Murray.
  • Options
    That could change if Norwich go up.
  • Options

That could change if Norwich go up.

Apparently the new boss will be Spanish.
  • Options
    Good spot AFKA .. and precious few Scots players
  • Options
    So in the space of about 3 years we've gone from having roughly a third of the EPL managed by Scots to zero! We've 'lost' Ferguson, Moyes, Lambert, Dalglish, McKay, Clarke, Kean, Coyle and McLeish and I can't say I miss any of them. Listening to a conversation between Dalglish and Lambert is my idea of hell.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still baffles me that an English manager still hasn't won the Premier League, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 10-20 years either.

Joke of a league.
  • Options
    To be fair Scotland have produced three of our most successful managers of all time - Fergie, Shankly and Busby. And of course George Graham, the aforementioned Dalglish and Dave Mackay too.

In fact, Scottish Managers have won more top fight English titles than any other nationalities in the last 50 years - 24 in total. With English managers not winning the PL in its 22 year existence.

Oh for the days of those charismatic Englishmen such as the two Howards - Wilkinson and Kendall.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

So in the space of about 3 years we've gone from having roughly a third of the EPL managed by Scots to zero! We've 'lost' Ferguson, Moyes, Lambert, Dalglish, McKay, Clarke, Kean, Coyle and McLeish and I can't say I miss any of them. Listening to a conversation between Dalglish and Lambert is my idea of hell.

The dour post match interviews of the majority were always the hardest part about the scots managers. Ferguson was fine because he was the greatest manager ever. the rest of them, eeerrrrrgggghhh
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Rizzo said:

The dour post match interviews of the majority were always the hardest part about the scots managers. Ferguson was fine because he was the greatest manager ever. the rest of them, eeerrrrrgggghhh
    Try living in Scotland
  • Options
    IA said:

cabbles said:

Rizzo said:

Try living in Scotland
    Toward the end, I genuinely couldn't decipher what Paul Lambert was saying "duaia ajf]paf ajdoaj fafaf try my best. aduawuf iahf[a aisf no one wants success as much as me."

That's not me knocking the Scottish accent btw, that's highlighting how drained and draining his interviews were
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Still baffles me that an English manager still hasn't won the Premier League, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen in the next 10-20 years either.

Joke of a league.

Reckon it'll be longer than that mate. Man U tried to keep it British with Moyes but have now jumped on the foreign bandwagon. Can't see Man City ever hiring a British coach, or Chelsea. Doubt Arsenal will replace Wenger with a Brit. With very occasional exceptions, British managers just don't get chances at clubs with title aspirations.

I'm not a particular fan of Allardyce, nor do I particularly dislike Mourinho - is the latter's tactical nous really that much more sophisticated than the former's? They're both very defence-orientated. Allardyce has spent his entire managerial career helping clubs to finish 5 or 6 places higher in the Premier League than their budget suggests they should be - surely someone with trophy aspirations should have given him a chance at some point.

Will Sean Dyche get a chance at a big club, or Eddie Howe? Hard to imagine. And as a consequence, know remotely outstanding candidates for the England job when Hodgson goes.

By the way, I know you were referring to English managers, but that's an even shorter discussion than British managers.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

To be fair Scotland have produced three of our most successful managers of all time - Fergie, Shankly and Busby.

If you extend that to UK wide rather than just English football then Jock Stein joins that illustrious trio.
  • Options
    Forgetting the ridiculous Premier League model, when was the last time there was no Scottish manager in the top division? I don't know by the way but it must be sometime ago.
    I can't believe people say they don't miss Fergie. Love him or loathe him, football was far more interesting with him about; on and off the pitch.