Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premiership TV rights 2016-19

£5.1 billion split between 7 packages, 5 to Sky, 2 to BT. I think the gap between the Premiership and championship just doubled, £150m to the team placed 20th.

Comments

• What chance have teams like us got.
  • On the plus side it means that those that fall out of the Premier League and don't get back in two years will probably implode and fall out of the league completely - ultimately leaving a place for little old us!
  • Going to make it very hard to stay up without being bankrolled. Reckon it will be 2 or 3 out of three promoted teams going down every year in future (may well be 3 this year as all three have been in the bottom three most of the season). Little hope for anyone else and the teams that are there will have to implode in an enormous way for this to change. Not good at all.
  • BT get Saturday 1730 and midweek games, Sky get the rest including the new Friday night games and all bank holidays.
  • Will it ever fall apart?

Too many powerful people involved now who have business and political motivations to keep it running.
  • Cor this was put up quicK! Ffs

Better delete mine if you ain't already
  • Each match is worth £10.2m. That's insane.
  • brogib said:

Cor this was put up quicK! Ffs

Still using the on digital box in France?
  • nichorob said:

£5.1 billion split between 7 packages, 5 to Sky, 2 to BT. I think the gap between the Premiership and championship just doubled, £150m to the team placed 20th.

Someone needs to send that to Roland to remind him why he needs to invest in Charlton.
  • Does this money go to the FA??
  • Sponsored links:

• Modern football, over the next few generations anything below the Champonship as we know it will be dead imo
  • nichorob said:

BT get Saturday 1730 and midweek games, Sky get the rest including the new Friday night games and all bank holidays.

Shame that the Premier League gets the Friday Night spot from the Football League, hopefully the latter will take over the 17:30 slot on Sky again
  • Sky Sports rumoured to be going up £6 a month to cover the costs.
  • Does this money go to the FA??

Of course not - it goes to the Premier League and their clubs. Smidgens would filter down I suspect.

I think I read the PL contributes a whole £12m to a Football Foundation involved in grassroots stuff as part of it.
  • brogib said:

Me fingers were shakin, tryin to get the link up. Then posted it and someone beat me to it and it already had 5 comments. Fuming
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2015
    brogib said:

Modern football, over the next few generations anything below the Champonship as we know it will be dead imo

The only thing to change it is if people turn their back on PL (and Sky subscriptions) and start going to more lower league games.

That being said, most revenue is generated from outside of the UK for the big boys so why should they care?

• brogib said:

brogib said:

Me fingers were shakin, tryin to get the link up. Then posted it and someone beat me to it and it already had 5 comments. Fuming
    I have the fastest fingers in the west :grin:
  • WSS said:

brogib said:

Modern football, over the next few generations anything below the Champonship as we know it will be dead imo

The only thing to change it is if people turn their back on PL (and Sky subscriptions) and start going to more lower league games.

That being said, most revenue is generated from outside of the UK for the big boys so why should they care?

I think it all comes down to exposure and, a lot of these kids now are opting for the Chelseas and Arsenils. I've got two "proper" Charlton pals whose kids go Charlton with them, but asked for Chelsea and Arsenil tops for Christmas. Imagine how it's gonna be with their kids and so on...

Why don't the BBC *Spits* turn their back on the Prem and focus on the lower leagues? Is there a reason why they can't screen a League 1 or 2 games week in week out? Genuine question
  • Expect even more dodgy foreign billionaires to buy up English clubs .. anyone fancy a Turkmenistani sugar daddy taking over down at the valley ?
  • brogib said:

WSS said:

brogib said:

I think it all comes down to exposure and, a lot of these kids now are opting for the Chelseas and Arsenils. I've got two "proper" Charlton pals whose kids go Charlton with them, but asked for Chelsea and Arsenil tops for Christmas. Imagine how it's gonna be with their kids and so on...

Why don't the BBC *Spits* turn their back on the Prem and focus on the lower leagues? Is there a reason why they can't screen a League 1 or 2 games week in week out? Genuine question
    Yes because Sky have sole rights to all of the Football League. They just don't show much of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Expect even more dodgy foreign billionaires to buy up English clubs .. anyone fancy a Turkmenistani sugar daddy taking over down at the valley ?

Only if he owns a network of clubs

Depends how good the other players are in the Turkmenistani League if they're gonna be loaned to us as part of HIS network :(
  • edited February 2015
    brogib said:

WSS said:

brogib said:

not sure what deal sky have got on the lower leagues but I think the bbc could corner that market for a minuscule amount compared to the premiership deal. Pick the right games and have a decent highlights programme (I know it's gone to C5 now but maybe they could share rights) on at a decent time, say a sunday evening and I think a fair few people would watch.

problem with BBC and C5 unlike sky I know full well it will be a half arsed attempt at broadcasting, advertising and presenting it. and instead of blaming that they end up blaming the lack of interest in the lower leagues.
  • brogib said:

WSS said:

brogib said:

Yes because Sky have sole rights to all of the Football League. They just don't show much of it.
    Surely that shouldn't be allowed, are the FA fuckin stupid..

• What chance have teams like us got.

we had our chance to dine at this table and fucked it through shit leadership

• brogib said:

brogib said:

WSS said:

brogib said:

Erm...
  • brogib said:

brogib said:

WSS said:

brogib said:

erm....

• What a ridiculous amount of money.

The rich get richer....
  • Having spent £1bn more than they intended, Sky have told the city they won't increase prices, they're going to make efficiency changes internally.

Having spent my entire adult life there and feeling my will to live drain away with every marketing team expansion, that's the best news I've heard all day. The drinks will be on me!
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Having spent £1bn more than they intended, Sky have told the city they won't increase prices, they're going to make efficiency changes internally.

Is their spokesperson Katrien?