Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: Bothered?

Comments

• I feel a sense of being at something of a crossroads.

What I can't work out is whether the reason is solely events at Charlton or events in my life generally.

• Brilliant post and sums it up perfectly.My first game was in 1977 and only missed one home game since 1981 plus many away games and a few seasons with every game attended and you have summed up my feelings.Have also done work for the club and the Premier League years are certainly not the greatest years for me supporting this great club of ours.
  • I'm bothered but I am also realistic and not prone to panic and melodrama.

And if you didn't know, England beat Wales. I am questioning myself a bit because I seriously wonder if that means more to me than Charlton's result today.
  • Our club was here long before Duchatelet and will be long after he's gone.
    The only thing he can affect is his legacy and our current status.
    Charlton Athletic Football Club will live on
  • LenGlover said:

I feel a sense of being at something of a crossroads.

What I can't work out is whether the reason is solely events at Charlton or events in my life generally.

Try singing this old Robert Johnson number, Len:

I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
    I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
    Asked the lord above "Have mercy, save poor Bob, if you please" (Too late for Peeters, though)

Mmmmm, standin' at the crossroad, I tried to flag a ride
    Standin' at the crossroad, I tried to flag a ride
    Didn't nobody seem to know me, everybody pass me by

Mmmm, the sun goin' down, boy, dark gon' catch me here
    Oooo, eeee, boy, dark gon' catch me here
    I haven't got no lovin' sweet woman that love and feel my care

You can run, you can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
    You can run, tell my friend-boy Willie Brown
    Lord I'm standin' at the crossroad, babe, I believe I'm sinkin' down

• Great post, and good to see that so many other people share my total lack of understanding about all the hand wringing & wailing currently going on. I've been going regularly since 1968, apart from the last 4 years living here in Dubai, but I'm still in regular touch with 10 - 12 people back home who are still regulars. Not one of these people feels any particular concern over the current ownership or their intentions for the club. They mostly just shrug their shoulders & say "I've seen far worse in the past, this is just normal when supporting a team like Charlton". I suspect that we are the silent majority & therefore our views need to count for something.

82 likes now for the opening post!
  • Our club was here long before Duchatelet and will be long after he's gone.
    The only thing he can affect is his legacy and our current status.
    Charlton Athletic Football Club will live on

In League one, by the look of things.
  • Made me chuckle especially the bit about getting moaned at for saying ex Charlton every five minutes. Snap.
    As for grounds, loads, and going to Highbury and Rodney Parade would be a great excuse for a beer.
  • Sponsored links:

At this rate there will be more Likes for Addickted's post than turn up at the meeting.
  • Great post, and good to see that so many other people share my total lack of understanding about all the hand wringing & wailing currently going on. I've been going regularly since 1968, apart from the last 4 years living here in Dubai, but I'm still in regular touch with 10 - 12 people back home who are still regulars. Not one of these people feels any particular concern over the current ownership or their intentions for the club. They mostly just shrug their shoulders & say "I've seen far worse in the past, this is just normal when supporting a team like Charlton". I suspect that we are the silent majority & therefore our views need to count for something.

Thats not 82 agreements though is it ffs.
  • vff said:

Great post, and good to see that so many other people share my total lack of understanding about all the hand wringing & wailing currently going on. I've been going regularly since 1968, apart from the last 4 years living here in Dubai, but I'm still in regular touch with 10 - 12 people back home who are still regulars. Not one of these people feels any particular concern over the current ownership or their intentions for the club. They mostly just shrug their shoulders & say "I've seen far worse in the past, this is just normal when supporting a team like Charlton". I suspect that we are the silent majority & therefore our views need to count for something.

No, you're quite correct; it's 86 now.
  • edited February 2015
    I'm resigned to is similar outlook. Hate the ownership structure but he is keeping the club running.

He's so minted he could decide to pull the plug and write off his investment and just walk away tomorrow leaving us wondering who is going to pay for the electricity let alone the players for the rest of the month.

Doesn't appear to be a queue of eager investors lining up to take his place. Until one of us becomes a billionaire we will likely be the plaything of a succession ego driven money men who have little to no genuine affection for the club and may or may not strike lucky.

But I have pretty much felt like that to varying degrees since we failed to keep Curbishley at the club.
  • Would you like palace or millwall to take our place and be run like we are ?
    There's your answer ...
    Fucking joke outfit
  • I'm resigned to is similar outlook. Hate the ownership structure but he is keeping the club running.

He's so minted if he pulled the plug and wrote off his investment and just walked away tomorrow who is going to pay for the electricity let alone the players for the rest of the month.

Until one of us becomes a billionaire we will likely be the plaything of a succession ego driven money men who have little to no genuine affection for the club and may or may not strike lucky.

But I have pretty much felt like that to varying degrees since we failed to keep Curbishley at the club.

Good to see you back Rodney.
  • Cheers Len, hope you're well.
  • vff said:

Great post, and good to see that so many other people share my total lack of understanding about all the hand wringing & wailing currently going on. I've been going regularly since 1968, apart from the last 4 years living here in Dubai, but I'm still in regular touch with 10 - 12 people back home who are still regulars. Not one of these people feels any particular concern over the current ownership or their intentions for the club. They mostly just shrug their shoulders & say "I've seen far worse in the past, this is just normal when supporting a team like Charlton". I suspect that we are the silent majority & therefore our views need to count for something.

No, you're quite correct; it's 86 now.
    Very funny, one more position drop down to the relegation bottom 3. It's a laugh innit ?
  • Sponsored links:

• 24 Red said:

I think the original post is mainly bollcks I'm afraid. I get mildly irriated by those 'I've been following Charlton since 1825, it was far worse in the trenches, you young 'uns don't know how lucky you are' posts. I also haven't much liked people telling me to be grateful for what I've got since my mother told me to eat my greens because there are people starving in Africa.

The one point I agree with is that Duchatelet won't care what I think & I don't have the power to do anything about it. I do have the power to withdraw my support for his hare-brained scheme however and if he insists on treating 'my' club purely as a business experiment then I can do likewise and withdraw my custom, although I haven't yet decided whether I will.

4 managers in a year, an owner who insists on heavy invovlement in team selection when he known nothing about football, and whose main ambition is to see us become a feeder club, rubbish imports and unwise exports, boring, boring football, no wins since April, relegation threatened. If people don't see that as reason for a little bit of gloom, then I envy their emotional constitution.

kentred2 said:

And seeing 58 liked it throws me into despair.

Start thinking
  • kentred2 said:

stonemuse said:

Can't see how its far off the mark kentred

Because unlike most on this thread I don't want to sit back as I can't do anything and just let the barstards kick me in the face.

Good job that wasn't done at Selhurst to get the valley back.

I always thought some of the supporters too would become an issue
    Completely agree, Kentred!

• I still do not think RD wants us to go down, what he intends to do, I do not know, but it makes no business sense for us to be relegated, whether he is still underestimating the championship, I am not sure, let's hope he does not think he has got a good enough squad
  • Out of interest, anyone know why this has been granted 'Announcement' status? Is the author someone of note, rather just a frustrated ranter like most of us?!
  • Addickted said:

Out of interest, anyone know why this has been granted 'Announcement' status? Is the author someone of note, rather just a frustrated ranter like most of us?!

I'm AFKAs wife.

I applied for that position, but it made my knees hurt and the clothing just wan't my colour
  • Addickted said:

Out of interest, anyone know why this has been granted 'Announcement' status? Is the author someone of note, rather just a frustrated ranter like most of us?!

I'm AFKAs wife.

"My missus goes mad whenever I watch a game on telly..."
  • I use the term 'wife' loosely.
  • Addickted said:

I'm AFKAs wife.

But are you the mother of his children?

• Addickted said:

I use the term 'wife' loosely.

"I realise that there is nothing I can do in defining the direction in the Club...."

Look forward to hearing from you at Woolwich Theatre on 18th ;)