Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Upbeats Day 2015 - 21st March

Comments

• Options
    Richard Rufus is the latest ex player to be announced that will be walking the walk on the 21st March.
  • Options
    Just a mention: 'Clem' of the BBC FL show praised the Upbeats in his 'Times' column of yesterday .. well done to all concerned
  • Options
    Looked at Just Giving link last night. So far only £190 raised. Charlton Community Trust trying to raise £10K. Does that all go to the Upbeats, or does the Community Trust take a cut for other purposes? I would like to donate, but need assurances that it will only go for the Upbeats. Also does it cost £10K to run the Upbeats, does seem like a lot of dosh.

Can anybody enlighten me? Thank you.

• Options
    My understanding is that all the money goes to the Upbeats.

When CL have donated money before it has been earmarked for the Upbeats and passed on specifically for them.

CACT has a lot of different funding streams and money is allocated to and has be accounted for each project. I doubt very much they are "taking a cut" for other programmes as they have their own funding. Having popped into CACT this morning they certainly aren't spending money on luxurious offices.

I don't know how much it costs to run the programme as a whole but CL contributed something like £3k for new kits (as seen on the crossbar challenge). Those kits will be getting worn out, new people will be joining etc so that is just one example of a significant cost.

On top of that they need to pay coaches, hire minibuses etc to travel to away games, buy footballs and other equipment etc etc and no doubt dozens of other things that I've not thought of.

So £10k maybe isn't that much to run a programme for 40 or 50 people once a week.

Hope that helps Tramp.

It's a very good cause and one I'm personally very proud to have helped in a small way.

But it has reminded me I need to sponsor one of the walkers.
  • Options
    And just to show that the spread of people who do read Charlton Life I just had Jason Morgan, CEO of the Trust ring me, confirming that 100% of the money raised goes to the upbeats.

And Carl, who heads up the project, isn't even paid from the upbeats but via other projects he leads on.

So donate away please Tramp and anyone else.

• Options
    Just registered, I'll be doing the walk and raising some funds for the fantastic upbeats
  • Options

Just registered, I'll be doing the walk and raising some funds for the fantastic upbeats

Top man
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm away that weekend in Marrakech (all aboard that train) but would have definitely taken part of I had been around. It's a great cause.

I'll sponsor the oldest person doing the walk at £1 for every year of his/her life. Just need to find an old 'un to maximise my donation. Claims for being the oldest person please!
  • Options

I'm away that weekend in Marrakech (all aboard that train) but would have definitely taken part of I had been atound. It's a great cause.

I'll sponsor the oldest person doing the walk at £1 for every year of his/her life. Just need to find an old 'un to maximise my donation. Claims for being the oldest person please!

That could be me, I'm 187 next birthday. ;) (58)
  • Options
    Curb it is 21 I think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for all the info, I can now donate. Hoping to do the walk, but recent dodgy health could be a problem
  • Options
    Are we supposed to be asking for sponsorship. I just read it that we paid an entrance fee to raise funds. Only because Im doing the Thames River walk, in September and had planned to use up my sponsorship pleas for that. (Which might well be for the Upbeats).

Ill pay a little extra in to the fund for now.

• Options
    Curb-It They are looking to raise £10000 from 500 walkers = £20 sponsorship each. The registration fee is for the T shirt etc.
  • Options
    Two more special guests lined up for the Big walk!

The first one is Katrien Meire.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/ceo-katrien-meire-to-walk-the-walk-for-charlton-upbeats-2326940.aspx

And the second is Carl Leaburn.

http://www.cact.org.uk/news/carl-leaburn-joins-the-cafc-legends-to-walkthewalk/

Come on lads and lasses... who's in?
  • Options

I'm away that weekend in Marrakech (all aboard that train) but would have definitely taken part of I had been around. It's a great cause.

My father is planning to do it - he's 67

Good work Thai

• Options
    blockquote class="Quote" rel="Curb_It">Two more special guests lined up for the Big walk!

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/ceo-katrien-meire-to-walk-the-walk-for-charlton-upbeats-2326940.aspx

F**k being in Leaburns group, I'm only 5:8, I'll be knackered trying to keep up.
  • Options
    Over 1200 quid now, a rather substantial anonymous donation which has certainly kick started the fund raising. :)
  • Options
    The Upbeats day last season was one of the really positive and uplifting match days. A real spirited bunch of kids.
  • Options
    I've just signed up. Am I being thick or do you just send the link to the donation page out for sponsorship? It looks like people just donate to the cause rather than individual entrants.
  • Options
    vff said:

The Upbeats day last season was one of the really positive and uplifting match days. A real spirited bunch of kids.

This 1 million percent.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:

vff said:

This 1 million percent.

The Charlton Upbeats are a real credit to Charlton football club.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

T.C.E said:

I'm doing the walk along with Bailey, we will also do the return walk unless I can get someone to drive my car to The Valley. "Unfortunately" I will miss the Upbeats playing their game before Charltons 1-1 draw with Reading. ;)

If am allowed to by then (Doctors orders) I will join the walk and make it my first trip to The Valley this season. I'll let you know nearer the time as it may be a last minute 'green for go' from the consultant who I see on the 12th March for more tests.

RM are you allowed to drive? Perhaps you could drive down to Sparrows Lane with TCE, see the walkers off, and then take his car up to the Valley for him. Once you're parked up, you could walk back the route and meet up with them to do the last mile or so. Kills two birds with one stone - you get to participate without overdoing things, and TCE doesn't have to do the walk there AND back.
    This Thursday is d-day for me...I'll ask what I'm allowed to do and Yes @TCE if I'm allowed to do some or all of it, if possible I'll bring Cinna with me, the Hollywood film-star will be on parade.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Two more special guests lined up for the Big walk!

Meire and Leaburn. Both have so much in common.

Loved or hated by Charlton fans but in different decades.
  • Options

I've just signed up. Am I being thick or do you just send the link to the donation page out for sponsorship? It looks like people just donate to the cause rather than individual entrants.

The one sponsor I (Bailey) got just put his name in the comments box, but I havent asked for sponsorship, people know I'm doing it so if they choose to donate sobeit. I'll sponsor ourselves nearer the time.
    ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

The one sponsor I (Bailey) got just put his name in the comments box, but I havent asked for sponsorship, people know I'm doing it so if they choose to donate sobeit. I'll sponsor ourselves nearer the time.
    ;)
    Cheers Ray
  • Options
    Up to 1700 quid now ;)
  • Options
    Sponsored Katrien at tonight's Bromley Addicks' meeting as did others.
  • Options
    Truly great event, one that I would definitely join in if I were in London. Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Sponsored Katrien at tonight's Bromley Addicks' meeting as did others.

£200 raised in cash plus one person is going to add to that today via the just giving site www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeatsday2015
  • Options
    @TCE, I'm out I'm afraid...but will go to just giving page during the week. Dr said no, too early even for a couple of miles. Sorry mate