Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roland's house

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
First off I'd like to start by saying I'm not Roland but I'm a season ticket holder of 25 years and regular away traveler.

I bought my house a few years ago from an elderly man, Now he had tried his hardest to look after and love it but in the end it was all to much for him. When I bought the place it was very dated and in need of major work, can you see where I'm going with this. So the first thing I done was got my mate round who's a plasterer (I know what he can do and like his work). My next job was the decorating, again I got one of my mates round who I trust and like his work. I went out and picked the paint I wanted, I then brought the paint back to him and instructed him as to which colours were going in which rooms and let him get on with it, but even though I trusted him with the job in hand I still popped in every evening to check everything was going ok.

It then got to the stage where I had to move my family into the new house, but I was lucky enough to be able to keep my old flat too, I guess you could say I was building up my network.

Fast forward six months and I started renting my flat out, But even though I have a complete stranger living in my flat I still love the place and still pay out for work to be done on it to keep it nice (it is still my flat after all).

Now back to my current project my new house, I've decided I want to get an extension to make the place bigger and better. Do I look through the yellow pages for a builder I've never met or do I get my mate in who has he's own building company. That's right I get my mate in because I trust him to do a good job.

Now two years on and my house is finished and looks the business, But I went through a stage where the wife was nagging on at me because we were living on a building site, And I thought to myself is this really all worth the hassle. But I can say hand on heart I got there in the end even though it did take longer then I expected.

So when I hear fourteen year old kids singing we want our Charlton back I do have to laugh to myself, Remember good things don't come easy, In fact the harder something is to achieve the better it feels when you finally get there. So let's stop the argument's support our club and the harder we all work together the fast we will get there.

COYA

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    It'd be trickier if your house was in a different country though eh. You could get your mate around to plaster it, that's fine, no problem with that, but when he goes out to get the plaster and comes back with plasticine you'd end up a bit miffed no?
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more on the philosophy of the above post as long as the tradesman you get in are up to the job in hand.
    I have supported Cafc 30 odd years and we never do things easy.
  • Options
    You could always try trust a trader next time Jack.
  • Options

I can see where you're going with this Jackie, but it's ludicrous. A football club is not a house

I know mate but none of use are ever going to own a footballer club are we.
  • Options
    No but so what. You can't compare a bit of tricky plasterwork with managing a football team! I love the enthusiasm but the metaphor is just irrelevant to what's going on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK.
    You rent the garden flat in a house and the owner, your landlord, lives in the flat above. The owner dies or sells on and the building has a new owner.
    So they come in, shift a wall or two around in your flat, redecorate with striking patterned wallpaper, install an avocado bathroom suite, re stock your fridge and cupboards, throw out your favourite old jumpers, lay your lovingly tended garden to lawn.
    The new owner says the top flat will have a series of short term tenants and let's, and would you be around to meet and greet the new occupants, and assist their arrival and departure?
    They tell you it's going to work out OK, because they have after all repaired the roof, had the boiler serviced, and they intend to build a lovely new shed/workshop/summerhouse in the garden.
    I don't know many who would be happy with this arrangement despite the location, location, location.
  • Options
    La Maison de Toutou was originally French but at least it was re-voiced in English for a British audience and re-named Hector's House.
  • Options

No but so what. You can't compare a bit of tricky plasterwork with managing a football team! I love the enthusiasm but the metaphor is just irrelevant to what's going on

I know, just trying to get my lol ups.
  • Options

Yeah but did you lie to your wife and tell her you had interviewed 20 people about the repairs?

To be fair she said that she had received 20 applications not that she had interviewed them. Plenty of reasons to slag off the club but lets do it on the right facts.

On the building analogy, it would not help having a project manager whose only experience of building work was conducting conveyancing, or builders following Belgian building regs, in South London.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Kap10 said:

Yeah but did you lie to your wife and tell her you had interviewed 20 people about the repairs?

To be fair she said that she had received 20 applications not that she had interviewed them. Plenty of reasons to slag off the club but lets do it on the right facts.

On the building analogy, it would not help having a project manager whose only experience of building work was conducting conveyancing, or builders following Belgian building regs, in South London.
    Which is what I was getting at eight posts back Kap...

:smile:
  • Options
    Trouble is when you will employ only members of your family to do-up your house, the likelihood is that they are not exactly what you needed so you end up with something nowhere near as good as you had hoped for. Wll you wait until the job is completed to assess the poor outcome or will you listen to feedback from others on the shoddy workmanship and spend the money needed so you are pleased with the results?
  • Options
    If Roland wants to shift his house he could do no worse than bringing in that Phil Spencer secret agent bloke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't believe what I have just read LOL
    Comparing what's going on to a house and flat haha
  • Options
    edited February 2015

If Roland wants to shift his house he could do no worse than bringing in that Phil Spencer secret agent bloke.

For some reason, this club makes me think of Frank Spencer.
  • Options
    This is more like. You need work on your house after you started ripping walls down thinking you can do it yourself. You realise you've ballsed it up and can't repair it so you decide to get some people in to do it.

You want to save a bit of money so rather than get a proper builder/plasterer/decorator in you get a couple of college students learning the trade and pay them a lot less.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.
  • Options
    I was going to buy a house once with the intention of doing it up, making it all nice etc and selling it for a profit. Then I remembered I know fuck all about the housing market and don't have any mates that are good at DIY. So I didn't. The end.
  • Options

Reminds me of a mate of mine who bought a ran shackled barn in Somerset and set out to convert it. He pulled in a few favours from some friends he had collared in the passed to do a few handy man jobs in his flat. They'd never really done a job on this scale before but were reliable, would give it good go and above all were cheap! Cost my mate a fortune in making a right stinking mess of the whole thing and in the end he had to throw in the towell and try and sell it in its current state, which proved impossible. Shortly after he was put in receivership a developer bought it. Flattened it and turned it into a supermarket!

And Le Point, carly burn ?

:-)

• Options
    You rent a flat from a couple of blokes that you don't really like, but it's okay. Then they sell it to another bloke, who re-turfs the lawn, which is nice. He then comes round and has a massive shit on your lawn every week. You don't like him anymore.

Don't shout at me. I am very hungover.
  • Options

Us.

Standard Liege

Rolands gaff...probably

You've got a nice pad BA, sandy balls?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Good workmanship comes from trained, experienced and committed craftsmen.

Time to stop blaming the owner, give the new management a chance and put some more responsibility on the players who are collectively talented and good enough to do a decent job at this level.

So, having had some considerable building work done on our last house, I can say that we were pleased with the final result but had to kick some ass to get the job finished to a high standard.

The parallel would be getting the players in the right frame of mind to flourish and exercise their God-given talents to the max - a bit like getting a talented joiner to stay behind an extra 10 minutes to sand the woodwork to a perfect finish, rather than knocking off on time and leaving some rough edges - and a bad taste in the mouth of the home owner who's paying them good money.

The footballers love the Rolex's and Range Rovers - let them justify those luxuries with serious commitment on the park.

Looking at yesterday's programme it shows that Roland is/has been paying a squad of 30 players (yes, some are out on loan) every week and with the revenue from season tickets and general attendance, you can be quite sure he ain't getting rich or skimming dosh from the club.

Agree with Jack Charlton's analogy.