Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley Morgue

Another Saturday at the Valley... another opportunity to take 3 points from an average team... another late goal right on schedule. More to the point was the rapturous welcome given to our latest temporary coach/manager/ two chalets puppet. Just about summed up the feelings of most of us - we really don't give a toss who is on the touchline, he will only be there for a few months anyway. The team played the same way, backwards, sideways any way but forward. Luzon did plenty of arm waving and hopping around but to me the players seems to totally ignore him.

We are just stumbling towards relegation and the people who have taken over our club appear to be like rabbits trapped in the headlights. It's like groundhog day every other Saturday, same tactics, same sub-standard players who couldn't trap a bag of wet cement and then if by a miracle we mange to score, sure as shit we give it away. As some else posted tonight, I just don't enjoy going anymore and I've been going for over 45 years and believe me I've seen my share of rubbish but the last two years rank as just about the worst of times.

Comments

  • I must admit, it is becoming a chore to attend.
  • I enjoyed the days of 72 - 74, though was only a schoolgirl then. Hate now though.
  • edited February 2015
    Fond memories from around 74 when I was about 8 and went to my first game
    The crowds seamed massive as I also used to go and watch welling with my friends
    But as for dark days being handed leaflets telling us we had lost ur ground and going to selhurst in a portacabin that's as dark as it could ever get!
  • Worst I've seen in 53 years, and that includes the dark, dark days of 72-74 in the old third division when, 3 or 4,000 lost souls were scattered around The Valley.

    What this new owner is doing to our club is a fecking disgrace.

    Please, please Roly send a taxi for your bit of fluff in the boardroom and all the shite players you've foisted on us and piss off back from whence you came.

    Enjoyed going in those days..old div 3, great night when we went back up by beating PNE.
  • If Apathy had a sound. Saturday was it
  • Worst I've seen in 53 years, and that includes the dark, dark days of 72-74 in the old third division when, 3 or 4,000 lost souls were scattered around The Valley.

    What this new owner is doing to our club is a fecking disgrace.

    Please, please Roly send a taxi for your bit of fluff in the boardroom and all the shite players you've foisted on us and piss off back from whence you came.

    Enjoyed going in those days..old div 3, great night when we went back up by beating PNE.
    PNE were managed by a Charlton that night, Bobby, happy days.
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/6815/the-week-that-was-29th-april-1975-charlton-3-preston-1
  • bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    I think people were hoping that things were never going to get that bad again, I think the majority think without a major strategy overhaul we are heading back there.
  • edited February 2015
    cfgs said:

    bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    I think people were hoping that things were never going to get that bad again, I think the majority think without a major strategy overhaul we are heading back there.
    Yeah that's fair enough but for me the seasons I mentioned we're far worse , who knows couple good signings today and we could get the mid table we was all hoping for at the beginning of the season ;)
  • Sponsored links:


  • bobcafc7 said:

    cfgs said:

    bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    I think people were hoping that things were never going to get that bad again, I think the majority think without a major strategy overhaul we are heading back there.
    Yeah that's fair enough but for me the seasons I mentioned we're far worse , who knows couple good signings today and we could get the mid table we was all hoping for at the beginning of the season
    Problem is RD has his ideas and so far most have been proved wrong for us. People are losing faith and voting with their feet. But hopefully whatever business we do today is far better than his recent work.
  • cfgs said:

    bobcafc7 said:

    cfgs said:

    bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    I think people were hoping that things were never going to get that bad again, I think the majority think without a major strategy overhaul we are heading back there.
    Yeah that's fair enough but for me the seasons I mentioned we're far worse , who knows couple good signings today and we could get the mid table we was all hoping for at the beginning of the season
    Problem is RD has his ideas and so far most have been proved wrong for us. People are losing faith and voting with their feet. But hopefully whatever business we do today is far better than his recent work.
    The hate that Roland gets you'd think we had moved from the valley and playing in blue also can't quite believe the amount of people Iv seen wishing him dead lol.
    Really do hope he brings in a couple of players today to atleast get some fans back on side.
  • I want us to sign players that we've heard about and know their names
    but this isn't going to happen. Let's face it we can't get the decent
    foreign players that Man City and Chelsea get so we are going
    to get more European/Isreali second raters.
    Only hope is to get someone from Arsenal whom Wenger rates highly
    but doubt this will happen!
  • edited February 2015
    Agree with the OP - it was a painful experience attending on saturday and I've been going since 73. We were rubbish back then BUT we had fight, we had players, some local, who would fight for the club. What do we have now? A few academy players, some OK, some just show ponies, we have 2nd rate journeymen, who dont appear to be good enough to wear the shirt, we have a manager who was appointed without another potential manager being interviewed and an owner who seems to to an egomaniac.
    This is where I'm at - Today is the last day of the transfer window. If RD wants to protect his investment he needs to act and fast to get in 2-3 decent players, after all we are all defined by our actions, RD is no different, no excuses, no bullshit, no fucking lies.
    I don't care about the new pitch anymore, I don't care about the new showers at Sparrows lane anymore, I don't care about his 'plan' to use young talent anymore, and I certainly don't care about the new scoff thats on sale in the bars.
    I have defended him since he bought us, but If he does not improve this team, I am not going to sit back and watch while we meekly submit and slide into L1. Thats NOT the Charlton way.
  • Prior to the Rotherham game do you believe Guy Luzon could name any Rotherham player?
    We are his new train set, delivered by his family influence and the svengali like power of Dudu Dahan.
    Just maybe, in the absence of anything else, all we have left is to turn up and pour on the abuse, what else is a realistic and workable option?

  • Greenie said

    Agree with the OP - it was a painful experience attending on saturday and I've been going since 73. We were rubbish back then BUT we had fight, we had players, some local, who would fight for the club. What do we have now? A few academy players, some OK, some just show ponies, we have 2nd rate journeymen, who dont appear to be good enough to wear the shirt, we have a manager who was appointed without another potential manager being interviewed and an owner who seems to to an egomaniac.
    This is where I'm at - Today is the last day of the transfer window. If RD wants to protect his investment he needs to act and fast to get in 2-3 decent players, after all we are all defined by our actions, RD is no different, no excuses, no bullshit, no fucking lies.
    I don't care about the new pitch anymore, I don't care about the new showers at Sparrows lane anymore, I don't care about his 'plan' to use young talent anymore, and I certainly don't care about the new scoff thats on sale in the bars.
    I have defended him since he bought us, but If he does not improve this team, I am not going to sit back and watch while we meekly submit and slide into L1. Thats NOT the Charlton way.

    pretty Much how I feel Greenie well said. The problem is guys like RD are successful because they are generally pretty bright the problems start when they don't broker any arguments when they have a bad idea, nobody will stand up and say "Roland that is just going to work forget it" hence we have this insanity called "The Network" which as far as I can see reduces every club in it to the lowest common denominator meaning that nobody has any success. And before anyone posts about Standard Liege in the land of the blind the man with one eye is king i.e. their league is crap. What we are seeing is the errosion of our club in terms of it's culture, what it stands for and more importantly our league position.

    I am willing to see if anything happens today transfer wise but like you Greenie I am getting to the point where I don't want to watch this anymore. I have seen plenty of bad teams down at the Valley over 53 years but this one hasn't got any heart or fight and that is worse than being bad in my book. Saturday was a low water mark I hope that things start to get better.
  • bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    For me, yes.

    Its not just about results, its about supporting a club that holds an identity that fans can connect with. Even when we got relegated from the Championship or finished 13th in League One - I still wanted to go and watch games.

    At least there was an English core of players/manager who, even though they weren't very good, I could still identify with them more than this random lot we have now.

    You don't sign up to be a Charlton fan if you're only interested in how good the Football is. That makes up about 20% of the package for me.
  • That I can't understand seeing as with have more youth players in the squad than ever before , so Saturday you couldn't relate to , Solly, wiggins, cousins , harriot ? Then players I personally like , Ben Haim , Gudmondsson.
    Give me those players over Murty , Gillespie , Sodje , kandol , Nouble shall I go on ? Butterfield , Borrowdale , Mooney!
  • bobcafc7 said:

    That I can't understand seeing as with have more youth players in the squad than ever before , so Saturday you couldn't relate to , Solly, wiggins, cousins , harriot ? Then players I personally like , Ben Haim , Gudmondsson.
    Give me those players over Murty , Gillespie , Sodje , kandol , Nouble shall I go on ? Butterfield , Borrowdale , Mooney!

    I'm still trying to forget them, man have we paid to have some donkies wearing the shirt down the years...

  • Sponsored links:


  • bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    Give Guy a chance he,s working on getting us there, this time next season !
  • bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    It's been said elsewhere that just because you can think of something even worse that doesn't make this okay.
  • I cant really recall a season when you could say the Valley was a fortress. Can anyone? Even the L1record points total season was hardly down to scintillating home form and intimidating home support.
  • seth plum said:

    Prior to the Rotherham game do you believe Guy Luzon could name any Rotherham player?
    We are his new train set, delivered by his family influence and the svengali like power of Dudu Dahan.
    Just maybe, in the absence of anything else, all we have left is to turn up and pour on the abuse, what else is a realistic and workable option?

    He'd probably never heard of Rotherham, let alone name a player.
  • bobcafc7 said:

    Are people seriously saying this season is worse than the league 1 season when we came 13th and got embarressd by teams like Dagenham and redbridge ect , or the season with Pardew and Parkinson when we got relegated ?
    Short memories maybe?

    Give Guy a chance he,s working on getting us there, this time next season !
  • I cant really recall a season when you could say the Valley was a fortress. Can anyone? Even the L1record points total season was hardly down to scintillating home form and intimidating home support.

    1997/98 was my favourite.

    A record of W17 D5 L1 GF 48 GA 17 during the season and then the bonus of the Ipswich play off game. Good times.

    The first year back in the Premier League in 2000/01 was also good. 11-5-3 was a very respectable home record in that division.

    Wins over Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Man City and Newcastle plus the 3-3 draw with Man Utd.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!