Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SE18: Impressions of a London Suburb (1964)

Comments

• Henry Irving might enjoy the bit about our "alma mata" 37:15
  • I wasnt alive when this footage was filmed, but its great to see a video of the old times and the history of an area I know and love. It has changed so much over time, but all too often we forget our roots. Thanks for sharing
  • Fantastic. Haven't watched all of it yet but of a similar age to a BFI DVD that I have including a video of approx the same age about Queenie Watts, at the Ironbridge Tavern in Poplar, that has my Nan in it.

Interesting to see a familiar landscape but seismic change in demographic in both cases.
    Both areas must have experienced surely a greater and quicker change from white working class to an 'immigrant' population greater than elsewhere in the country.

Times change and the indigenous population wanted to better themselves and move out. To me though it's a shame that the culture of these white working class areas had almost totally disappeared. The stories, the pubs, the relations and the community all have dissipated.
  • I watched this all the way through and enjoyed it. I do remember Woolwich from back then, going to the shops with my mum. It was interesting that they classified Crown Woods and Eltham as being a part of Woolwich.

The thing that hit home to me was how the accents strongly marked from what area of the social spectrum you came from. Less so nowadays.

• Can't wait to watch all of this. Just seen the early shots of The Valley - the unmistakeable features of Bill Punton of Norwich City nail this as 11 Apr 64 CAFC 3-1 NCFC att 14894 goalscorers Len Glover 5 and that man Keith Peacock 65 and 72.
  • Rob said:

I watched this all the way through and enjoyed it. I do remember Woolwich from back then, going to the shops with my mum. It was interesting that they classified Crown Woods and Eltham as being a part of Woolwich.

The thing that hit home to me was how the accents strongly marked from what area of the social spectrum you came from. Less so nowadays.

I think that, back then, Woolwich was a separate borough from Greenwich, which might account for Crown Woods and Eltham being classified that way.

• Just watched the film in full. Some great stuff there.
  • Morning Alan.
  • Excellent video, thanks for putting it up.
    Any chance of one of Greenwich?
  • Sponsored links:

• great stuff.

Interesting that it was "things are changing, the areas not what it was, etc etc"

Just like now,
  • great stuff.

Interesting that it was "things are changing, the areas not what it was, etc etc"

Just like now,

Really enjoyed that but felt a little sad too, what happen to Woolwich.
  • What a blast from the past!
    lot of things from those days that had a great effect on me.
    The demise of the Church, the rather middle class patronising social comments about the working class earlier, of pursing the products of post war years, have unfortunately proved correct. People did abandon Woolwich as a centre, in later years. They were also helped by the local council, as the end of the film mentions. I stopped going to Woolwich as a centre about 5 years after this film was made, because it held nothing for me. Look how busy the market was, look at the covered market and how it is today. This era was an immense opportunity to break the grey, rather drab post war years. Probably not different than a lot of towns in the mid 60s, trouble is Woolwich suffered more than most, and lost it's soul to me. It has taken a great amount of time to realise this, although jumping into bed with developers is not the only show in town, unless it is properly planned. Great bit of social history though.
  • My Grandparents lived in Woolwich,Francies Street.I used to visit them on holidays it was a nice town in the 50s and 60s.There was Powis Street with Cuffs,Garrets, and the R.A,C.S (coop).I used to like going on the Ferry when I was young.I keep meaning to go to Woolwich again to how it has changed,alto I do have a Season Ticket at Charlton.
    If any one has any photos of Francies Street before the terrace houses were demolished,I would love to see them.Someone did mention the Heritage Centre in Woolwich that might have some,I will have to try then and see.
  • great stuff.

Just like now,

If its not what it was, can you imagine if they see the state of the place today

• Woman at 12.47 looks spannered.
  • That wa ablast from the past, I remeberas a child working to Woolwich with mum go to the market and the big stores in Woolwich then.
    Funny thing was that 14 years after this film I had a part time job in the covered market working for Sadies. It seemed bloody buisy to me then, I then went tp Thames Poly to do a degree and spent most of my socia;l life then in Woolwich including the Tramshed. Suppose I am saying Woolwich did not die in the 70`s.
  • edited January 2015
    msomerton said:

That wa ablast from the past, I remeberas a child working to Woolwich with mum go to the market and the big stores in Woolwich then.
    Funny thing was that 14 years after this film I had a part time job in the covered market working for Sadies. It seemed bloody buisy to me then, I then went tp Thames Poly to do a degree and spent most of my socia;l life then in Woolwich including the Tramshed. Suppose I am saying Woolwich did not die in the 70`s.

Hope that is off an I-phone mate? Otherwise I would sue Thames Poly (are they still around?) OR the Tramshed for mashing too many braincells!

;0)
  • Thames poly became uni of greenwich.
  • I went back to work at Woolwich, three times as Morgan Grampian was there, latter Miller Freeman.
    I think the first time was about 76. then again in the mid 80s, and possibly early 90s for a brief time, and boy did it decline.
    It was never a place of beauty, but it was a vibrant town , with a culture and identity. I used to live in Charlton , and daily go to Plumstead to school during the 60s. In fact worked at Garrett's while in the 6th form doing my 'A' levels during the summer.
    Lugging bloody great carpet's on and off off lorries, and going over the ferry to deliver them. Probably the only hard day's work I have done in my life. Far to much effort......
  • Sponsored links:

• msomerton said:

That wa ablast from the past, I remeberas a child working to Woolwich with mum go to the market and the big stores in Woolwich then.

Hope that is off an I-phone mate? Otherwise I would sue Thames Poly (are they still around?) OR the Tramshed for mashing too many braincells!

;0)
    From my Nokia mobile phone, what is an i-phone.
  • Not seen the video yet (saving it for my lunch hour)

I lived in Frances Street for 20 years and have some very fond memories growing up in Woolwich. There was a time when you was proud to say you was from Woolwich but I couldn't say that now!

I remember video mornings at the Woolwich Dockyard clock tower or the early morning flick at the ABC cinema. Going across on the ferry to Victoria park playing football for 6 hours then back via the underground tunnel (what an adventure for a dozen or so 10 year olds)

Mum and dad doing there shopping at Safeway's oppo Woolwich Poly on a Friday evening and me waiting for them in Macdonalds my dinner treat for the week!

I had so many friends from all the different estates in Woolwich, Cardwell,Dockyard,Pellipar,Morris Walk everybody knew each other and not one hint of trouble apart from on the football pitch lol

I remember the markets used to be heaving every Saturday as well as powis street. Woolwich had all the main shops and people would come from miles away to shop.
    It was a great town!

My mum (god bless her) would be disappointed on how the place is now!!
  • Mate was great times on that road, I loved living there even though we moved in to Buttmarsh, but I spent most of my miss spent youth knocking about Rd the dockyar, Samuel street, Francis st and Round Jay Burts house can't think of the name of his Rd,

When the BMX track and the adventure playground opened it was a big thing

Great people fond memories great times

But I am still a very proud Woolwich man and still love the old place

There is a lot of things unrecognizable to me now,

But I still love it

• I used to love it mate but how could you now? After watching the film above I went onto street finder and went to where we lived! D it's like a big prison with bars everywhere CCTV on every other lamp post gates up all over the place it makes me sad!

Jay and and Willis's and the smiths and the frators lived down Prospect Vale mate.

Yeah I remember the BMX track and the play park and football pitch they built next to Woodhill school.

D can you remember the celebrity (lol) who opened it??
  • Prospect Vale, we used to say we were the ones from that programme called prospects

Nah mate can't remember,

I took my kids down the dockyard and done the river side walk, and along the barrier

Showed them where ( we lost little Wayne that sad day RIP little man)

I look past all that shit al the bars and cctv, I love the barracks and the academy

It's home to me although now I don't live there when I get through the pipe it's my town my memories and I don't let the present change it
  • Me and my mate had a Saturday job in the square in Bruntons sports department. Was upstairs with a big front window overlooked the corner of the square. Most everyone would visit the square on a Saturday, it was heaving, so if you knew anyone you would probably catch sight of them. The Embers was where you found out what was the latest piece of must-have Mod gear, may look naff now, but was the coolest place on the planet back then.
  • Yeah I know where your coming from mate no one can take away your memory's!

The celebrity was the one and only PETER DUNCAN from Blue Peter lol
  • Interesting to read others childhood memories of SE18.
    Mine are quite similar, sneaking into foxfield and playing footy for hours on end.
    The frying pan II in Glyndon.
    Taking the bikes up to 'the glory bumps'.

Say what you will about the place, but I bloody love it.
  • I worked on a milk Rd that done the whole of Woolwich and used to finish at 10am after starting at 3 am to fund footie

summer holidays putting the stalls out and putting them away in between working in master olivers from 11 till 4

Woolwich was a pucker place back then, and that's the memory that won't sour

Crown and cushion Friday nights and the Catholic club sat and Sundays before going to zens or ts

Fighting the squaddies, getting hold of the military nurses and being sneaked back in to their digs

Charlton on a sat was a big part of the week
  • I worked on a milk Rd that done the whole of Woolwich and used to finish at 10am after starting at 3 am to fund footie

summer holidays putting the stalls out and putting them away in between working in master olivers from 11 till 4

Woolwich was a pucker place back then, and that's the memory that won't sour

Crown and cushion Friday nights and the Catholic club sat and Sundays before going to zens or ts

Fighting the squaddies, getting hold of the military nurses and being sneaked back in to their digs

Charlton on a sat was a big part of the week

Nice and close to work at Shooters Hill nick too

:-)