Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Superstitions on Charlton

Just seen that the Wolves Match thread was finished on 666 comments. I've always said that the Devils in the detail.

I know i helped the team on Saturday by putting the picture of Katrien and myself back as the wallpaper on my phone ?
Strange one i know at this moment but i had taken it off on the train down to Bournemouth and put a picture of my
family instead, bad move,
If i see a Robin in the garden on the morning of a game i feel it's a good sign.(Cardiff at home the last time)

I tried lucky socks, trainers, pants, a pen in a particular pocket. I won't walk under black cats on match day !

What current or past superstitions have you tried ?

Comments

• Options
    There was a old chap who sat at the front of East Stand Block E (may still do, I've given up my season ticket since going to uni) and he wouldn't sit down until kick off, first half and second half. Me and my mate (who sat halfway up the same block) used to follow his lead, only sitting down once the game had kicked off, must've done it for 5 or 6 years. We don't always get to the same games as often anymore, but both of us still follow the tradition that no matter where we find ourselves seated, home or away, we'll stand until the game kicks off.

*I'll await the obligatory you're not a proper fan if you're sitting down comment
  • Options
    Always have to wear a Charlton shirt to the match... Feels unlucky if I dont
  • Options
    Although I'm not the slightest bit religious, I always had to watch Dean Kiely say his prayers against the goalpost before kickoff. God was on our side!
  • Options
    Wore my old charlton scarf to games early on this season, lost it before the Ipswich game

Won't watch the lunchtime game on TV before a home match

Won't ever bet on charlton after we were the sole team to let my acca down 3 years ago

Refuse to wear anything in the other teams home colours to a match
  • Options

Just seen that the Wolves Match thread was finished on 666 comments. I've always said that the Devils in the detail.

I know i helped the team on Saturday by putting the picture of Katrien and myself back as the wallpaper on my phone ?
    Strange one i know at this moment but i had taken it off on the train down to Bournemouth and put a picture of my
    If i see a Robin in the garden on the morning of a game i feel it's a good sign.(Cardiff at home the last time)

I tried lucky socks, trainers, pants, a pen in a particular pocket. I won't walk under black cats on match day !

If you can fit under a cat I'm assuming your a mouse and if you are a mouse why would you go near a cat anyway.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

If you can fit under a cat I'm assuming your a mouse and if you are a mouse why would you go near a cat anyway.
    Maybe i'm a shortsighted Mouse ?

The last Cat i went up to was......

KAT rien, that explains why she kept chasing me.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    At least we don't see that bloody black cat walking round the pitch anymore. Last time I saw it, we lost to Blackburn.
  • Options
    If you support Charlton your are the luckiest person in the world
  • Options
    I'm not changing my pants until we win again
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Said cashncarry on November 8th after we beat Reading !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not really a superstition, more like a case of blind hope. For those who remember the teleprinter on Grandstand, there was often a corrected result. When Charlton lost, I used to sit and wait in case the corrected result was a reversal of the original scoreline in Charlton's game. I don't think there ever was such a reversal, yet each time I would believe it would be "corrected".
  • Options

You might need a hammer and chisel to get them off then.
  • Options

Not really a superstition, more like a case of blind hope. For those who remember the teleprinter on Grandstand, there was often a corrected result. When Charlton lost, I used to sit and wait in case the corrected result was a reversal of the original scoreline in Charlton's game. I don't think there ever was such a reversal, yet each time I would believe it would be "corrected".

All those wasted hours, TMA :-)
  • Options
    When we started out fantastic season in division 1 to return to the prem, me, my dad and sister had to have haddock and chips before the match, one week we didn't and Kiely let in that howler v Swindon I think and we lost 1-0. Fish and chips carried on for the next season aswell in the Prem.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

When we started out fantastic season in division 1 to return to the prem, me, my dad and sister had to have haddock and chips before the match, one week we didn't and Kiely let in that howler v Swindon I think and we lost 1-0. Fish and chips carried on for the next season aswell in the Prem.

So maybe Mark Fish is not the only reason for your CL name !

Did you see us get battered at Watford?

• Options

Fiiiiiish said:

So maybe Mark Fish is not the only reason for your CL name !

Did you see us get battered at Watford?

Didn't see us get battered, thank cod.

But also the Fin JJ, was one of my favourite players.
  • Options
    Refuse to play Fifa on the day of a game.

Need to bring my gooner friend more, he has been twice and both times we have won and scored 3 goals.

My girlfriend has also been twice, and we have scored 0 goals in both, and lost 1. So maybe she shouldnt come again
  • Options
    My daughter and I always double tap the 'no parking' sign on the church-type thing half way down Charlton Church Lane, in spite of the fact that this has clearly been shown to have no influence on the result.
  • Options
    When I turn up to watch em, we always lose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Charlton never win anything

Football League Second Division / Football League First Division (2nd Tier)
    Champions – 2000
    Play-off winners – 1987, 1998

Football League Third Division / Football League One (3rd Tier)
    Champions - 2012
    Promoted (old Division 3) – 1975, 1981

Football League Third Division South -
    Champions - 1929 & 1935

FA Cup
    Winners – 1947

Football League War Cup
    Joint Winners – 1944

Kent Senior Cup
    Winners – 1995 & 2013

• Options
    You've missed 'The People's Cup - 2011' off that.
  • Options

You've missed 'The People's Cup - 2011' off that.

Not on Wiki so never happened ;o)
  • Options
    Didn't we win the Metropolitan League Cup as well in the 70s?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Charlton never win anything

Football League Second Division / Football League First Division (2nd Tier)
    Champions – 2000
    Play-off winners – 1987, 1998

Football League Third Division / Football League One (3rd Tier)
    Champions - 2012
    Promoted (old Division 3) – 1975, 1981

Football League Third Division South -
    Champions - 1929 & 1935

FA Cup
    Winners – 1947

Football League War Cup
    Joint Winners – 1944

Kent Senior Cup
    Winners – 1995 & 2013

What about ("We're the kings of") Soccer Six?? :)
  • Options

Refuse to play Fifa on the day of a game.

Need to bring my gooner friend more, he has been twice and both times we have won and scored 3 goals.

My girlfriend has also been twice, and we have scored 0 goals in both, and lost 1. So maybe she shouldnt come again

Get your priorities right - get rid of the girlfriend :-)
  • Options
    Before the game starts I will have a slash. I have to enter on the left hand side and exit on the right,
    It hardly ever works.
  • Options
    2 lots of tea in my Charlton mug regardless if we are home or away or whether I'm attending or not.

It sometimes works....
  • Options
    If the crossing is closed in Charlton Lane; always wait. Don't use the footbridge or else the crossing gods will punish your impatience.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well, I think it might have been me that caused that long winless run. I started growing a beard in November and only shaved it off this morning - sorry folks ;-)