Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The role of Directors of Football

Interesting piece on the role of Les Reed at Southampton in today's paper. Was really interested to read regarding the effort and analysis that is going into the succession planning for the head coach. This very much strikes a cord with our own situation where we currently seem to be lurching from one short term appointment to another.

Obviously our financial circumstances from Southampton are vastly different and they do not have the "benefit" of being part of a network of clubs but if since we are going down the road of appointing head coaches maybe the missing piece is someone performing the role Les does at Southampton?

If only we had someone available with a proven record of success in club/player/team development at CAFC who could overcome any fan resistance to the idea just by walking back in the door...

telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11366206/Gary-Neville-The-era-of-the-gaffer-is-over.html

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant and instructive article, Bournemouth, thanks for that. I'm going to keep it, and my personal ambition is to discuss it with RD!

I will bet a lot of money that when Les Reed says

“We have a whole department for the recruitment of players, but it struck me some years ago that when a manager leaves, that’s when the club reacts and starts looking for a new one. I think we should be as diligent with that, because of the turnover of managers these days."

and

"[Some clubs] go for a personality or a track record and the manager says – ‘If I come to you, if you’re lucky enough to have me, I want this, this, this and this.’ We would never go down that route. We will not be interviewed by a manager - we will interview them"

he is talking about what he saw in 2006, here, with us.
  • Options

Brilliant and instructive article, Bournemouth, thanks for that. I'm going to keep it, and my personal ambition is to discuss it with RD!

“We have a whole department for the recruitment of players, but it struck me some years ago that when a manager leaves, that’s when the club reacts and starts looking for a new one. I think we should be as diligent with that, because of the turnover of managers these days."

and

"[Some clubs] go for a personality or a track record and the manager says – ‘If I come to you, if you’re lucky enough to have me, I want this, this, this and this.’ We would never go down that route. We will not be interviewed by a manager - we will interview them"

Ha, ha I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I'm certain that was indeed a reference to the appointment of Dowie and Pardew in particular and their subsequent spending spree on second rate players.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    interesting article thanks for posting.

not difficult to see how more owners will be going down this route in the future. football management is indeed changing.

the black box sounds a little odd though. anyone looking forward to hatcheries growing players for specific purposes?
  • Options

and

Ha, ha I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I'm certain that was indeed a reference to the appointment of Dowie and Pardew in particular and their subsequent spending spree on second rate players.
    Also Billy Davies...

• Options
    Thanks for this posting. Food for thought!
  • Options
    It's called succession planning and I strongly suspect Peeters' successor had been lined up for quite a while!
    We will find out today and next Saturday if Luzon can level out the nose dive.
    I think M.Duchatelet may be attempting to run a scouting and valuation system across the network but the turnover of senior coaches with us and Liege (including the guy last January who was responsible for the loans to us) is clouding what's going on.
    We know Fraeye and Dahan are at the centre of things but who else? Isn't there an obvious solution to appoint a Les Reed type figure at the centre?
  • Options

Isn't there an obvious solution to appoint a Les Reed type figure at the centre?

Not if Roland thinks that he's already filling that role....!
  • Options
    Yes, thats the role Roland has appointed himself.
  • Options

Isn't there an obvious solution to appoint a Les Reed type figure at the centre?

Not if Roland thinks that he's already filling that role....!
    Indeed!
    We simply don't know who is advising behind the scenes. I think we will all be in a position to judge next Saturday at 5pm
    If we don't win that game then one has to question the appointment of Luzon and management of the squad for we will have taken a 12 month journey to get back to where we started, I.e. A bottom six club.

In that case, good luck to Meire et Al with selling season tickets in April!

PS. I hear we've changed keepers again today! Perhaps Thuram will play next week?

• Options
    Who's lined up for after Wilmots, anybody know?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2015
    seth plum said:

The promise of pie in the sky in the future in an attempt to take supporters minds of the unappetising gruel being served up today.
  • Options
    vff said:

seth plum said:

The promise of pie in the sky in the future in an attempt to take supporters minds of the unappetising gruel being served up today.
    Pie in the sky won't fool anyone... I hear Meire on Twitter "one week of window, we will do it"
    Why twitter FFS? Whoever is in charge needs to land quality player(s) in time for next Saturday. It's that simple!
  • Options

vff said:

seth plum said:

Pie in the sky won't fool anyone... I hear Meire on Twitter "one week of window, we will do it"
    Why twitter FFS? Whoever is in charge needs to land quality player(s) in time for next Saturday. It's that simple!
    What will Meire do exactly ?

Agree @seriously_red that additional quality is needed. Some quality will provide a big lift for the relegation 6 pointer against Rotherham. Without added quality the rest of the season will be a struggle whoever is in charge.
  • Options
    Let's see what people think of the spurs lad. Quality is needed now and over the summer. How the squad respond to Luzon today and next Saturday tells us if this is a car crash or not.
    But none of that disguises the fact that the strategy is opaque and the execution unclear.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Yes, thats the role Roland has appointed himself.

That's only half a joke though isn't it. RD seems to be trying to control player/coach/youth/club/ground development, transfers and everything else but rather than it being at just the one club like Les Reed at Southampton he's attempting to do it across half a dozen clubs across Europe.