Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What's the latest on the redevelopment of the Training Ground?

Comments

• Options
    That's the apprentice players accommodation.
  • Options
    Interestingly new builds are constricted by the supply of bricks and blocks that can be sourced locally. Guess which country has committed its future output for several years to the UK?
  • Options
    Anyone have any idea about how long it takes to update RBG's planning application site usually? A decision should have been communicated a week ago (July 1st).

Perhaps the council are too busy taking legal action against the government!
  • Options

Interestingly new builds are constricted by the supply of bricks and blocks that can be sourced locally. Guess which country has committed its future output for several years to the UK?

Well, about the only decent industry Greece has is cement, so they could do the blocks. But I'm going for North Korea.
  • Options
    Belgium ?
  • Options
    My very limited dealing with the Greenwich planning department, has led me to understand that dates are not really abided by, and seem shall we say a little flexible!. Spoke to one of the ward councillors a few weeks ago there seemed to be little if any objection to the proposal's, according to him. I assume that there may be details to discuss of an application of this size.
  • Options
    Previously we have been led to believe physical work will begin on 21st October. I am suspicious that it will ever happen and the proposal is a smokescreen, however nobody will be more pleased than me if the development actually takes place.
    Like with player transfers and such how it is all funded is too much of a mystery for me to understand, but infrastructure would be hard to ignore, just as goals points results and league position is hard to ignore.
  • Options
    C'mon Charlton

Just this announcement to make now
  • Options
    I know for a fact that a lot of residents in Sparrows Lane are not happy with the traffic flow situation.
  • Options
    Things are looking very positive at the moment, and I agree with Henry that an announcement and work on the training ground will be a huge signal and a huge positive.
    Unless it piles on unmanageable debt that bites us on the bum in the future..... but nah, once built it's there, definitely want this to go ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015

I know for a fact that a lot of residents in Sparrows Lane are not happy with the traffic flow situation.

Perhaps things have now changed but when I spoke to Cllr Mark Elliot in the Beehive public house several weeks ago, he had a good understanding of the planning application.
    Subject to 'details' I got the impression that the ward councillors had not received any significant complaints from residents, but he was mindful of the works traffic.
    Having studied the plans myself as an individual, they look impressive, and surely would be a major jewel in the crown for the future of CAFC. But, like all plans they are subject to change , revision, and discussion. Not sure if the Football foundation are involved in the financing of this anymore which I understand they originally were.
    Last weekend my sons played next door at Footscray Rugby club, and two of there football pitches are having significant drainage/relaying, but the chairman was not there so could not enquire wether these pitches might be used by CAFC while the Sparrows lane development goes ahead. I understand they are a 'partner' in this development so hopefully those pitches will be improved for the local football community too.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    As they constitute a departure from the local plan, the two applications almost certainly have to go to the council's planning board (committee of councillors) rather than be decided by officers under their delegated powers. It would be unusual for a scheme of this size to be decided away from public scrutiny anyway.

The next meeting of the planning board is due to take place on September 8th.

As a word of caution, while public opinion is a material consideration it's not a decisive one either way. This is often misunderstood by the public. Development, especially on protected land, may be unacceptable to the council on policy grounds without any public objection - obviously it's better not to have objections though!

It's pretty unremarkable that the council is out of time and in the real world of no advantage to the club. If it went to appeal on that basis, the council would still reach a view before the inspectorate but the decision would be further delayed.
  • Options

We'll have some clear indications very soon when the U21 fixtures are published, including where the home games will be played.
  • Options
    We'll have some clear indications very soon when the U21 fixtures are published, including where the home games will be played.
  • Options
    In stereo too! :-)
  • Options

Like 1991, you mean?
  • Options
    I was told earlier this week that the top 3G pitch was being dug up first and turned around and made into a 4G pitch before anything else happens and you are correct at least one pitch will be used next to sparrows lane while work is being done.
  • Options

The pitches are the first part of the club's new Sparrows Lane training ground complex to be complete https://t.co/GJzB2HiUWc #cafc

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) December 9, 2015
  • Options
    Well regardless of the other stuff going on I can't help feel pleased with reading that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will be interesting to see if this 'facility' is offered to the wider football community for hire as stated in the original application.......
    I am talking about Adult Charter clubs and Kent League, be good if they can be as they are needed.
  • Options
    Taking the piss? Or just rain water?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Love how they stick an advertisement for half season ticket on that page. Right now i'd prefer a half-season ticket to the training ground to play a bit myself than I would to the Valley to watch...

And FWIW this training ground saga is no real investment (that he loses out on/benefits us fans) from RD, it keeps a fair amount of the value and the sheer size of a Cat 1 Training Facility will bring in a lot of youth players, only takes a sprinkling at a few million each to make his 'investment' back. Everything this man is about is not good for our Football Club, but on the face of it it doesn't seem as bad as it is.
  • Options

Love how they stick an advertisement for half season ticket on that page. Right now i'd prefer a half-season ticket to the training ground to play a bit myself than I would to the Valley to watch...

And FWIW this training ground saga is no real investment (that he loses out on/benefits us fans) from RD, it keeps a fair amount of the value and the sheer size of a Cat 1 Training Facility will bring in a lot of youth players, only takes a sprinkling at a few million each to make his 'investment' back. Everything this man is about is not good for our Football Club, but on the face of it it doesn't seem as bad as it is.

Can you clarify for us simpletons - having a Cat 1 academy is bad for the club and just part of the evil one's plan to destroy CAFC.....is that right?
  • Options
    Knowing our luck there'll probably be a drought for the next ten years
  • Options
    That's pretty impressive. Can't agree with @Atletico Addick There's a lot wrong with the regime's management of our club, but there are some good things being done and I'm not so blinkered as to not recognise and appreciate that.
  • Options
    The reason I am upset with it is not because they are building it for us, but the intentions it shows, there's a reason that this has precedence over anything first team related is obvious. It's a bit like your girlfriend buying you an expensive necklace, the amount spent and the thought is lovely.. but it's for her good not yours (unless you are that way inclined, of course). I don't think we'll get any good from this except a younger first team long term, and higher prices received for the players as they are homegrown.

I'm not saying every single move he does is bad, but the bigger picture to it all is quite obvious when you put the jigsaw pieces together. They also use this as an amount spent on us as a club and us fans should appreciate that, what I'm hinting it is it isn't really an amount spent on us, it's a side investment that we shouldn't be be so grateful of. I had my views very early on about his plan and it seems he is still going at it, so I'll stick by my views, this is just part of his plan - but viewed as a great move for our club by a lot of our fans, but his intentions paint the picture as to why he is doing things and it's not for us fans.

• Options
    "Everything this man does is not good for our football club"

"I'm not saying every single move he does is bad"

You sound confused. As do the protests.