Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gartside, Sammy Lee, and agents, perjury and fraud charges. Lifting the lid on a cesspit

This will be well worth following.

Here is what the case is about:

"The case relates to a protracted legal battle brought by the football agent Tony McGill, in which he claims he was cut out of the £1m deal when Bolton signed McCann from Villa in 2007. McGill was suing in the original case for £300,000...."

That's 30% of the fee to go to an agent. Thirty effing percent.And for what services exactly, pray?

That's where our money goes. Parasitical pond life. Oh, excuse me Mr Dahan, didn't know you were reading...

Comments

• Options
    Link not working for me on ipad
  • Options
    Phil Gartside among nine summonsed to answer perjury or fraud allegations

Phil Gartside, the Bolton Wanderers chairman, has been summonsed to appear in front of magistrates to answer allegations of perjury and fraud, along with the club’s former manager Sammy Lee, the former player Gavin McCann and some of the more influential agents in the business, in what could be, if it proceeds, one of the biggest court cases of its kind in the sport.

Gartside is summonsed to answer five allegations of perjury and one of fraud while Bolton, the club, have also been summonsed to appear in court next month in relation to allegations of making “numerous false and representational contracts” in June and July 2007.

Lee, who was Bolton’s manager at the time and is now a member of the coaching staff at Southampton, is summonsed in relation to four allegations of perjury relating to his time at the Championship club. McCann, whose career included spells at Bolton, Everton, Sunderland and Aston Villa, must answer four allegations of perjury and one of fraud while Frank McParland, previously Bolton’s director of football, will hear four allegations of perjury when the matter begins at Newcastle magistrates’ court on 25 February.

McParland now takes that role at Brentford and has had a long association with Liverpool, working as their chief scout from 2003 to 2007 and returning to the club in 2009 when Rafael Benítez asked him to oversee a major overhaul of the club’s academy.

The case relates to a protracted legal battle brought by the football agent Tony McGill, in which he claims he was cut out of the £1m deal when Bolton signed McCann from Villa in 2007. McGill was suing in the original case for £300,000, claiming that Bolton brought in the sports agency SEM at “the last minute” to take the deal off him. He lost the case at Manchester civil justice centre last September, having not had a binding contract with McCann, but the judge’s findings described him as “basically credible”.

McGill is now attempting to bring a private prosecution and court summonses have been issued to 11 parties. Simon Marland, Bolton’s long-serving secretary, is summonsed to answer five allegations of perjury and one of fraud. Jerome Anderson, the chief executive of SEM and one of the most powerful agents in the industry, is summonsed on four allegations of perjury and one of fraud. SEM’s lawyers said: “SEM and Jerome Anderson are aware that a private prosecution has been commenced by Tony McGill and that summonses have been issued. The allegations are baseless and will be defended robustly.”

Three of Anderson’s colleagues of that time have also been summonsed. Dave Sheron will answer four allegations of perjury. Five are listed against Jeff Weston, along with one allegation of fraud. Steve Horner is summonsed on two perjury allegations. SEM, based in Barnet, will hear one allegation of fraud.

Gartside, who had no comment when contacted by the Guardian on Friday, joined the Bolton board and became the chairman in 1999 when Sam Allardyce was appointed manager. He has also had a place on the Wembley board and was put in charge of the Football Association’s selection process when David Bernstein was made chairman.
  • Options
    @PragueAddick‌ the link is a link of this very webpage
  • Options
    That's the story above. Can't believe Sammy Lee will be the only former Bolton manager to be involved.
  • Options
    I know 30% is high ... But if that was the deal then hope he wins .....
  • Options
    I'm surprised the article says a Mags' Court, I'd have thought this would have been kicked up to a higher level.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

@PragueAddick‌ the link is a link of this very webpage

Fixed now, I hope. Odd, because when I went to edit, it seemed to have the right webpage in place.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I'm surprised the article says a Mags' Court, I'd have thought this would have been kicked up to a higher level.

Even murders start at a mags court. It will be sent to a Crown Court.