Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Piggie joins Southend on loan

according to their local rag

Comments

• Options
    Good for him, hope he does well there
  • Options
    Go Piggy
  • Options
    Hopefully a good move for all parties. It'll also be easy to watch him down there.
  • Options
    Good move to a local league team.

Not watched a huge amount of Piggott, but from what I have seen I personally think there is something there. He's a big lad, but looks technically pretty decent and also looks like a bit of a thinking footballer - smart movement and decent decisions when on the ball. He does look like he needs to toughen up a little bit though, which hopefully some experience in League 2 will help him do.

My worry is he's going to be a late bloomer and it might come too late for him to make a meaningful impact at Charlton. That said, it has been a very tough environment for a young striker to break through at our place for a couple of years now - its not like we have tended to make a hatful of chances even for the senior pros and that disastrous game against Millwall seemed to set him back somewhat.
  • Options
    From watching Joe Pigott from U16 football through the different age groups, i really thought he would make it with us. I was wrong. Not mobile enough, not strong enough, not quick enough, not good enough in the air. He has got good technical ability and an eye for a goal.
  • Options
    good luck to him .. it looks more and more as though he has no future at CAFC
  • Options
    Is it for the remainder of the season? Good news if so, hopefully he'll get a run in their team. Personally think L1/2 will be his level but as players like Holt/Lambert etc have shown something can click later on.
  • Options
    You only need to look @ Harry Kane this season... Up until this year he's been very poor and many around here suggested that we try to get him on loan, its laughable when you look back on that now as he's one of the best Strikers in the Premier League at the moment and although Kane and Pigott are the same age; Kane made his debut a year earlier so maybe Pigott will be a late bloomer, really do its not too late for us
  • Options
    Good move for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good move for all involved.

He will get playing time.
    We have four strikers ahead of him (five if include Harriot).
    Southend have a player who will certainly score goals at that level.
  • Options
    Hope the lad does really well. Perhaps though it's last chance saloon for him at Charlton.
  • Options
    Good luck, Pig. I'm rooting for you, so make sure you score a few.
  • Options
    People were saying that about Harriot though to be fair, and then he burst into the team all of a sudden. Then again, they also said it about mambo and he's nowhere.
  • Options

Hope the lad does really well. Perhaps though it's last chance saloon for him at Charlton.

He's still got several years left on his contract, so someone clearly though he had something...
  • Options

People were saying that about Harriot though to be fair, and then he burst into the team all of a sudden. Then again, they also said it about mambo and he's nowhere.

Mambo got a really bad injury straight after he left us didnt he... Think he's only just been coming back this season
  • Options
    Good luck to him i still believe that Joe will come good
  • Options

Mambo got a really bad injury straight after he left us didnt he... Think he's only just been coming back this season
    Poor Mambo has had 11 Clubs and is still only 23.
  • Options
    Good luck, young Joe.

Will look for your results as per Michael Smith at Swindon.
  • Options

Good move to a local league team.

Not watched a huge amount of Piggott, but from what I have seen I personally think there is something there. He's a big lad, but looks technically pretty decent and also looks like a bit of a thinking footballer - smart movement and decent decisions when on the ball. He does look like he needs to toughen up a little bit though, which hopefully some experience in League 2 will help him do.

My worry is he's going to be a late bloomer and it might come too late for him to make a meaningful impact at Charlton. That said, it has been a very tough environment for a young striker to break through at our place for a couple of years now - its not like we have tended to make a hatful of chances even for the senior pros and that disastrous game against Millwall seemed to set him back somewhat.

I'm completely the opposite exiled. I know he's only young and hasn't been given a run in the first team but I see nothing in him. Tall, thin, doesn't look particularly strong or fast. For me he'll be at a league 2 team when his contract's up. I know that's harsh, but just a feeling I have. Happy to be proved wrong and eat my words if he does work out, but not right for us moving forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now that Piggy is loaned to Southend and if Churchy is tempted by the delights of the Toolbox ....... that then frees up budget for another striker to come in.

Unless Watts is that striker, of course.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Now that Piggy is loaned to Southend and if Churchy is tempted by the delights of the Toolbox ....... that then frees up budget for another striker to come in.

Another 50,000 players loaned out, and we can afford Lionel Messi!
  • Options
    Joe was well marshalled for 120 mins by Huddersfield's sizeable U21 centre half. Just one game of course but my guess is he may struggle to make an impact at Southend. Hope I'm wrong and he succeeds.
  • Options
    I hope that Joe makes it at at least L1 /2 level, that Millwall game seems to have been a traumatic experience.

Also, hope Mambo eventually gets back and finds a team at that level.
  • Options
    The Pig is in the starting lineup for Southend.

• Options

Joe was well marshalled for 120 mins by Huddersfield's sizeable U21 centre half. Just one game of course but my guess is he may struggle to make an impact at Southend. Hope I'm wrong and he succeeds.

I watched the game and have to agree, we was playing a direct game using him as a target man and he was woeful, looked slow caught offside a lot second to the ball in most aerial duels passing sloppy.
  • Options
    "He's one of the best finishers at Charlton and I'm hoping he can bring goals to the team."- phil brown. Does he know something we dont?
  • Options

"He's one of the best finishers at Charlton and I'm hoping he can bring goals to the team."- phil brown. Does he know something we dont?

That's probably true, it's the rest of his game that stops him from being a Championship player. For one thing he's not strong or good enough in the air to make up for his lack of pace.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Unfortunately that's not how it works any more.. for any other team it would be.