Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Refs and Linos AND THE GAME

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
Shocking weekend of refereeing AGAIN.

Clattenburg should be demoted - arrogant geordie clown.

Foy at Spurs - bad decision BUT understandable to a certain extent he got conned.

The lino at Liverpool v Bolton - bad decision again.

As for Saturday - Arsenal did create more chances and Carson was the busier goalkeeper ,and those Arsenal w***ers on NA board can say what they like, but the Van Persie incident changed the game. He shouldn't have been on the pitch END OF.

I thought the team played very well and liked the look of Andy Reid going forward - his defending was poor as he let Eboue constantly go past him.

Lisbie did ok in patches but again he looks bloody lazy.

Better from JFH but his miss at the end was criminal.

Comments

• Options
    i have high hopes for Reid, but thought he was awful on Sat. He may be able to impress in training, but he is clearly not match fit and its a world of difference.

If we can get him, and keep him match fit, we have a player. But i can't help but worry that its going to be one frustrating injury after another

As for the ref, it reminded me of the season Barnsley got relegated. They had a game near the end of the season where every decision went against them (think the crowd invaded the pitch).

this felt similar on Sat. It was so biaised it was untrue.
  • Options
    It is hard to defend refs when they are that bad.

I normally always stand up for refs when I can being as I am part of the gang. I will say 98% refs are honest geezers who don't give 2 hoots who wins and ref as unbiased as they can.

Unfortunately the other 2% are reffing in the PL
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    did anybody see a replay of the offside decision when bent made a run PAST the defender through on goal after the ball was played and the geriatric on the east side flagged? to me it was a criminal decision but i may have been wrong in the heat of the moment. did it get shown on motd or sky?
  • Options
    I'm not really one for blaming refs or getting on their backs. Often they're terrible but I'm not convinced that it's down to any bias and often the poor decisions even themselves out.

However, Saturday was one of the worst refereeing displays I've ever seen, every single decision went Arsenal's way and the ref had a perfect view of what was both a blatant sending off and a blatant penalty yet didn't have the balls to give either. That MOTD didn't even see fit to show van Persie booting Hasselbaink off the ball just adds to the mystery of what game everyone else was watching?!

Felt for the lads on Saturday, we were carved open from time to time but Arsenal can do that to the best of teams - I know we finished the weekend bottom of the table but after that display and with the players on their way back from injury I'm hopeful that we'll turn this around - our luck's got to change sometime and I think we should be good enough to seize on that and get soem points on the board.
  • Options
    [cite] les_says:[/cite]did anybody see a reply of the offside decision when bent made a run PAST the defender through on goal after the ball was played and the geriatric on the east side flagged? to me it was a criminal decision but i may have been wrong in the heat of the moment. did it get shown on motd or sky?

I thought that at the time - haven't seen the replay but even from the North it seemed clear that he was about 2 yards behind the defender when the ball was played.
  • Options
    [cite] PassItToLeaburn:[/cite]
    [cite] les_says:[/cite]did anybody see a reply of the offside decision when bent made a run PAST the defender through on goal after the ball was played and the geriatric on the east side flagged? to me it was a criminal decision but i may have been wrong in the heat of the moment. did it get shown on motd or sky?

I thought that at the time - haven't seen the replay but even from the North it seemed clear that he was about 2 yards behind the defender when the ball was played.

Yeah, I've seen a replay of that one - on the Game of the day replay on Sky - and he was level - but it was closer than I originally thought it was
  • Options
    if i was too add a shred of fairness, i thought the Fabregas booking was a joke as well.

We had a right one on sunday morning as well. Thought he was a prem ref.
    Wouldn't stop the play when someone was down injured, and wouldn't let the trainer on etc.

Had a collision that looked nasty, one of ours who doesn't go down easily screamed out, and was rolling around. Play stopped instantly and the trainer run on. Ref was blowing his whistle furiously and ordered the trainer off the pitch. Trainer goes back to the sideline, the ref runs over to the injured player, and then allowed the trainer on. Madness.
  • Options
    is the age cut off for linos different to refs ?

I'm sure we have had a few in the last couple of seasons who have rivalled Steptoe in age.

If so, why do refs that are forced to retire not become linesman ? Not enough glamour for them ?
  • Options
    I thought Reid did well. Always looking to pass the ball forward and into the path of the player instead of behind them. Silly mistake when he miskicked but was a big factor in our passing and creativity being so much better. An arrangement has been made with ROI so tht he can keep his fitness levels up. I thought Hughes did well even if he's not my fave player.

Was showing some Swedish Addicks around Sparrows Lane this morning. Dowie is very hands on, even lays out the cones himself. Bent M was running on this own and had a ice pack on his knee. Puoso was training with the first team. Diawara and Thomas doing sprints with a physio. All looked much fitter than me!

Lots of people away but still some huge cars and personalised number plates on show. "B Yosser" for one.
  • Options
    Tell me that's not Hughes. If it is, I'm sure most of us could come up with something more appropriate by changing just one letter...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I spoke to an Arsenal fan mate on Sunday who was at the match on saturday and even he said Clattenberg favoured Arsenal and I didn't even have him in a Curb_it like headlock at the time:-)
  • Options
    [cite] Henry Irving:[/cite]I thought Reid did well. Always looking to pass the ball forward and into the path of the player instead of behind them. Silly mistake when he miskicked but was a big factor in our passing and creativity being so much better. An arrangement has been made with ROI so tht he can keep his fitness levels up. I thought Hughes did well even if he's not my fave player.

Was showing some Swedish Addicks around Sparrows Lane this morning. Dowie is very hands on, even lays out the cones himself. Bent M was running on this own and had a ice pack on his knee. Puoso was training with the first team. Diawara and Thomas doing sprints with a physio. All looked much fitter than me!

Lots of people away but still some huge cars and personalised number plates on show. "B Yosser" for one.

"B Yosser" overtook me on the A2 on saturday. I wondered if it was him. Before the Carlisle match he was driving a 4 wheel drive with an ordinary numberplate and nearly ran me over on the junction of Floyd Road and Valley Grove!

My teenage daughter was quite pleased about that as she thinks he is fit. I gather fit is modern vernacular for goodlooking rather than any reference to his aerobic and anaerobic capacities.
  • Options
    aye Len. Bryan is well fit.... in a cutesy way. he has a lovely smile.
  • Options
    what was the common word for 'fit', before it crept in in the nineties ?
  • Options
    handsome?
  • Options
    "sort"?
    As in "He's/she's a sort"
  • Options
    sort. that was it.

a right sort !!
  • Options
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]is the age cut off for linos different to refs ?

I'm sure we have had a few in the last couple of seasons who have rivalled Steptoe in age.

If so, why do refs that are forced to retire not become linesman ? Not enough glamour for them ?

did anyone know the answer to this ?
  • Options
    I am not sure the FA will be able to force Refs to retire with this new age law that has just come in.

What they will do though is up the level of the fitness test to get rid of the older ones. Could you imagine Graham Poll as a linesman F*** me that would be a sight to see.

The fitness test is the benchmark though Smudge - those linos are only there because they have passed the fitness test and expressed the interest to be Linesman only as well. It is only the vain ones like Poll Clattenburg and Styles that want the middle to put them in the spotlight they would never lower themselves to be a lino.

Trust me even at Parks level there some refs out there that think linos are there to be talked down to. I have have some choice rows with refs who think they are the dogs bollox.
  • Options
    If so, why do refs that are forced to retire not become linesman ? Not enough glamour for them?

Linesmen at pro level are usually referees at semi-pro level, but have little experience of refereeing at the pro-level. So I think it's likely to be the other way around, that linesmen are referee's in waiting and running the lines for a season or so is one of the last steps before becoming a full blown referee. Having ex-refs running the lines would therefore prevent younger/inexperienced referees from getting that experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite] BlackForestReds:[/cite]Having ex-refs running the lines would therefore prevent younger/inexperienced referees from getting that experience.

You obviously didn't see the linos we had on Saturday then, they looked like they fought in
    World War 1 !!