Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photography

In an attempt to get a hobby that doesn't involve booze or football my wife has bought me a rather expensive camera.

I've always enjoyed photography but have never owned anything other than a reasonably decent point and shoot.

I know a few on here are keen on the hobby and am sure there are people who do it for a living.

I'm after some advice around editing software. What do you guys/girls use? What is the best free software?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Very expensive hobby (Would love to do it for a living) - What camera have you got - Canon or Nikon? :)

In terms of the Editing Software I tend to use Photoshop though isnt cheap, try to stay true to the image as well so I usually only tend to play around with the Brightness / Contrast etc... rather than removing and adding bits and pieces
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Get a decent Mac (as in coat)
  • Options
    @stilladdicted takes some amazing pictures - I'm sure she can assist
  • Options

Very expensive hobby (Would love to do it for a living) - What camera have you got - Canon or Nikon? :)

In terms of the Editing Software I tend to use Photoshop though isnt cheap, try to stay true to the image as well so I usually only tend to play around with the Brightness / Contrast etc... rather than removing and adding bits and pieces

Its actually a Lumix. Did quite a bit of research before hand and the equivalent Nikon was nearly £100 dearer. Its a high end bridge camera rather than a "full monty" DSLR. The DSLR route had the potential to be hugely expensive and for me just starting out felt a bit like overkill.

Have already had a play around with some sunset shots and they have come out pretty well.

Not quite confident enough to start uploading to a flickr but will do eventually.
  • Options

Shoot in Raw and edit in Lightroom.

a very good suggestion, Lightroom and Photshop both come from Adobe but Lightroom is far easier to use.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    i'm a videographer, do more video editing but i shoot a bit on DSLR's too.

Lumix are pretty good, what model? As stilladdicted says, shoot in RAW, but it would be handy to learn about different formats etc. RAW is great if you want to do a lot of colour correction etc in editing. Learn the rule of thirds, invest maybe in a tripod and you'll be better than most instagram wannabe photographers.
  • Options

Shoot in Raw and edit in Lightroom.

Will be using raw. Will checkout Lightroom.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 tips from me. Shoot in raw (like others have said, invaluable to be able to correct a fcuk up later on), Buy a tripod and have a read of the Understanding Exposure book by Brian Petterson (I think - the best most useful book I've read!)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

3 tips from me. Shoot in raw (like others have said, invaluable to be able to correct a fcuk up later on), Buy a tripod and have a read of the Understanding Exposure book by Brian Petterson (I think - the best most useful book I've read!)

just to pick up on this, remember you're shooting digital, so the more information you have in your shot the better. Overexposed and blown out whites and images that are too dark are impossible to correct later on as there's no colour information or anything else there. Have a read of your camera manual, but there are some great tutorials on youtube for beginner photographers.
  • Options

Its actually a Lumix. Did quite a bit of research before hand and the equivalent Nikon was nearly £100 dearer. Its a high end bridge camera rather than a "full monty" DSLR. The DSLR route had the potential to be hugely expensive and for me just starting out felt a bit like overkill.

Have already had a play around with some sunset shots and they have come out pretty well.

Not quite confident enough to start uploading to a flickr but will do eventually.
    Definitely give uploading to Flickr a go... There are some great Groups to join and people always willing to help you out.

Plus I would find it really rewarding when I posted a picture that got 10, 50, 100 views and would drive me to take better shots
  • Options
    Probably the best advice is to think about what story you want your photo to tell. Just spend a while shooting in black and white, That in itself tells you a lot about your photo. Get rid of clutter in your photos, don't be afraid of really hard cropping. It's the imagination of the person behind the camera that makes the difference these days. Enjoy yourself.
  • Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2015
    Can't add much more, definitely shoot in RAW. If you want a decent processing suite to use then go for OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 9, there is a free trial available and, trust me, it will make your pics sparkle. Use it with Photoshop Elements to process your shots.

Most importantly, just get out there and shoot. The more you take the better you get.

Agree with @ForeverAddickted‌ Join Flickr, there are plenty of groups and you get some great advice.

Oh and get a couple of big cards and a spare battery!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Some great advice above already Clem.

As John Boy says, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is the go to book. You can't go wrong with that. In fact I've just looked on my bookshelf and realised I've still got a copy and don't use it. It's yours if you want it, just drop me a PM and I'll send it to you.

The full version of Photoshop will take a while to master and to edit photos with. I'm not sure if they still do the stripped down version (Elements) but that was relatively cheap and is worth looking into.

I use Lightroom (and have upgraded with a few versions of it throughout the years). It's very easy to use and is a great cataloging tool. If you go down that route then the Scott Kelby books are very user friendly as tuition. Alas it's not free but it is well worth paying for.

Don't laugh but there used to be a free bit of software called GIMP. 'Something' Image Manipulation Programme. If you want the basics for free, then you can't go wrong. I can't remember if you can edit in RAW in it though.

As BDL says, just get yourself out there (or even stay inside) and take loads of photos and learn by your mistakes.

It's a wonderful, if somewhat expensive hobby.

Good luck and I'd love to see some photos. I always found posting some pics on a Forum for friendly analysis was a great help.

Maybe we could even set up a CL group somewhere.

Viewfinder & Blackheath's stuff are cracking.
  • Options
    Software

The proprietary software that comes with most cameras is OK for simple developing. That said, if Panasonic are still using Silky Pics, that is very clunky and you'd be advised to get something else from the off. I can personally recommend Lightroom 5, it'll do your RAW conversions for you and has a pretty full range of development tools. If you have access to a .ac.uk email address you used to be able to get a considerable reduction on Adobe products. Beware of Creative Cloud though, I've heard stories of people getting caught out and having to pay annual subscriptions for services they didn't want or need. Paint, as mentioned above is OK and free, but personally I found that I grew out of it pretty quickly. I personally use Gimp for much of my editing and absolutely love it. That said, RAW conversion with GIMP can be a bit of a bugger so it might be a useful add on rather than main piece of software.

Books

I can't get past JohnBoy's tip. Bryan Petterson's Understaning Exposure is by far and away the best photography book I've ever read.

Tips

- Switch the camera to fully manual. Don't bother with any of the other settings until you fully understand how to get the best out of it.
    - Think about each image before you shoot it. What do you want the finished picture to look like? What do you need to do to achieve this?
    - Always shoot RAW.
    - Set yourself some challenges; to achieve things you haven't before or to kern things you don't know about.
    - Experiment with different types and styles of photography - what do you enjoy the best.

• Options
    as well as Bryan Petterson's book he also has a lot of free short tutorials on Youtube, just Goggle his name.
    also remember that you can never take too many images
  • Options
    Just bought a Nikon d5300. Completely new to photography although have always loved taking photos.

Silly Q but what is meant by shooting in Raw? Currently using the auto function.
  • Options
    Take photos of raw booze and raw football! You can then combine all your hobbies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited January 2015
    jamescafc said:

Just bought a Nikon d5300. Completely new to photography although have always loved taking photos.

Silly Q but what is meant by shooting in Raw? Currently using the auto function.

RAW files are uncompressed, somebody else will probably better explain but they capture everything, allow you to Chang white balance, exposure, sharpness etc. they are normally quite big files, but give you better control when processing.

The only problem is that if you gun off a few thousand shots in a day, it's a lot of processing to do.

BTW That's a decent camera you bought ;-)
  • Options

In an attempt to get a hobby that doesn't involve booze or football my wife has bought me a rather expensive camera.

I've always enjoyed photography but have never owned anything other than a reasonably decent point and shoot.

I know a few on here are keen on the hobby and am sure there are people who do it for a living.

I'm after some advice around editing software. What do you guys/girls use? What is the best free software?

Thanks in advance

Tell your wife you need an upgrade to a Phase One. You'll be back on the booze and football double quick.
  • Options
    Used to be a studio photographer in former life, using medium format. Still have Olympus and Canon SLR's kits and all lights and background screens. Used to enjoy developing and printing own work. The skill has gone slightly in the technical side of things, but an eye is still an eye. Enjoy your new toy.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    jamescafc said:

Not silly at all James. Auto is fine mate, you'll get cracking photos with that come what may. RAW v JPEG is how the file types come out. You will have a setting on your D5300 that will allow you to select either one or both at the same time. Don't get bogged down in that though.

Shooting in RAW is akin to seeing an original film negative if you like, it's ripe for being edited but will need a bit of work for each photo. It gives you artistic licence and allows you to reduce overblown (very white) skies, reducing noise and bringing out shadows etc. (there is more to it than that but those are the easiest to fix in editing, along with adding clarity/punch to your pics).

A JPEG will be just fine for normal snaps where you don't really care about much editing, it also takes up loads less memory on your card.

Have a good look through the manual and see what the camera can do. There is a lot to learn but even on basic settings you'll be laughing in terms of image quality.

If you don't already have them, buy a cleaning kit with a blower and cloth and also a lens filter. A UV or other filter could be the best £20 you'll ever spend, rather than a shattered lens.
  • Options
    Cheers - have ordered the book suggested above from Amazon.

Btw what is the benefit of a lens filter?
  • Options
    It's insurance against dropping your camera and breaking the lens.

Their real purpose is cutting out unwanted UV rays. This can be very handy up in the mountains, but is pretty pointless in SE England.
  • Options
    Exactly as Stig says. It's not even just dropping it though.

My friend had his camera in a bag and got it out at The Oval, completely shattered filter. Lens fine. Happened on the train on the way up there, no idea how. Pure bad luck.

Learnt my lesson that day and have saved a fortune after having a huge scratch on the filter but nothing on the lens itself.

Oh and wrap your strap around your wrist when shooting.

Dropped my beloved point and shoot at the Charlton darts last year whilst pissed, absolutely gutted.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Don't laugh but there used to be a free bit of software called GIMP. 'Something' Image Manipulation Programme. If you want the basics for free, then you can't go wrong. I can't remember if you can edit in RAW

GIMP is still there and still free. It's popular with Linux OS users and the latest version gets good reviews. Not sure if it handles RAW but probably a good way to start playing around before spending money on software!
  • Options
    My Nikon d300 has the ability to shoot JPEG + RAW, presumably the much new cameras can do the same thing...

Anyhow, when I was using it on a regular basis, I was reviewing the JPEGs but anything I wanted to keep, I processed the RAW files. Pretty basic but cut down the post-processing time.

Really must pick up my camera again. Have got lazy in the last few years and just take my compact or snaps with my iPhone. Never the same quality though.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

red_murph said:

Don't laugh but there used to be a free bit of software called GIMP. 'Something' Image Manipulation Programme. If you want the basics for free, then you can't go wrong. I can't remember if you can edit in RAW

GIMP is still there and still free. It's popular with Linux OS users and the latest version gets good reviews. Not sure if it handles RAW but probably a good way to start playing around before spending money on software!
    It can be done, but you need an add on. IMO it's not very friendly. Better to convert with something else (proprietary software or Lightroom) and then edit in Gimp. But you'd have to want to do some pretty serious editing to want to use gimp if you've already got Lightroom.

http://howtogimp.com/raw-photos-with-gimp/