Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley in 1956

I imagine this brings back some good memories for some of you?

Comments

• Exactly so......A photo I've never seen before...so atmospheric .....thanks a lot. Any more like it?
  • Thank you for posting. I remember going up those steps and walking round the ground to the east terrace. Great memories.
  • Exactly so......A photo I've never seen before...so atmospheric .....thanks a lot. Any more like it?

I'll tweet the account that posted it to see if they have any more. I had never seen that photo either so I thought I'd share!
  • never seen that pic before either ... thanks
  • great pic ...other than the clothing of the spectators ...if you took the same pic in black and white 20 years later nothing much would have changed
  • Have just seen it again on googling 'old Charlton valley photos'....all others on there surface from time to time.

• In assuming without fact checking that this will be the game Sam Bartram was still on the pitch 15 minutes after the game was abandoned.
  • Cannot get my bearings on that photo. It looks like it is to the right of the old arched entrance and looks like it is about 10-20 yards further along Floyd Road. In either case there are no houses on that stretch of road in the picture and I don't recall that the houses there date from after 1956
  • Should imagine the current day Greenwich H&S team going apoplectic over that Valley!!

Great Pictures...
  • Sponsored links:

• Cannot get my bearings on that photo. It looks like it is to the right of the old arched entrance and looks like it is about 10-20 yards further along Floyd Road. In either case there are no houses on that stretch of road in the picture and I don't recall that the houses there date from after 1956

I think it was taken in Valley Grove.

I think it was taken in Valley Grove.
    Yes.
  • Love that photo. Pretty much how I remember the Valley Grove entrance when my dad first started taking me (1960 but more regularly from 1962).
  • Great photo, just shows how much The Valley didn't change from the mid 50's to when I started to go in the mid 70's.
  • These old photos give me mixed feelings. Yes those of nostalgia, this was how the valley was when I first used to go etc, but times move on.

When the rose tinted, ah the good old days, specs come off. Boy what a shit hole. Lack of investment for years and years nearly drove us out of business in 1984 and did send us in to the Selhurst wilderness for 7 years.

Nostalgic memory's, maybe?
  • Worked on the these very turnstiles for a few home games in the 60s. My mate's dad was a regular turnstile operator and as we were always short of a few bob he got us in if there was a no show. Lack of investment wasn't the only problem.

The far right was the kids turnstile, you only had to account for 6d for each click of the counter, so when dad took his boy through you took for both and made a shilling. The supervisor decided who got this perk and he would block up the mechanism that turned the counter on a couple of the other turnstiles. He was a CAFC officer employed in the office and my understanding was the club organised this to under report revenue, the culture of ripping off the club must have been all pervading. The wooden shed behind is where the money was counted and reconciled with the dodgy attendances and a small part of the bunce was dished out to the regular operators before the supervisor took the remaining bunce off to the main office. When attendances were high, the numbers reported were a complete joke, there is no doubt the club was being bled for all its worth.
  • Not getting this, when were the small terraces put in either side of the main stand?
    If the massive crowds of the 40's we're correct The Valley of 68 when I first went must have had an even bigger capacity.
    Great to see this photo though.
  • Looked a dreary winters day weather wise. But amazing picture.
  • Not getting this, when were the small terraces put in either side of the main stand?
    If the massive crowds of the 40's we're correct The Valley of 68 when I first went must have had an even bigger capacity.
    Great to see this photo though.

They are there I'm sure, to the right of the Main / West stand you can only see the grass mound where if my memory is correct there were a set of goalposts where shooting practice took place. In front of the grass mound was the terrace. To the left of the Main stand there used to be steps up to the small terrace & the walkway round to the covered end with the burger hut on the corner. If you look to the left you can see people walking up the steps & when you get to the top the small left hand terrace is down in front.
  • Worked on the these very turnstiles for a few home games in the 60s. My mate's dad was a regular turnstile operator and as we were always short of a few bob he got us in if there was a no show. Lack of investment wasn't the only problem.

The far right was the kids turnstile, you only had to account for 6d for each click of the counter, so when dad took his boy through you took for both and made a shilling. The supervisor decided who got this perk and he would block up the mechanism that turned the counter on a couple of the other turnstiles. He was a CAFC officer employed in the office and my understanding was the club organised this to under report revenue, the culture of ripping off the club must have been all pervading. The wooden shed behind is where the money was counted and reconciled with the dodgy attendances and a small part of the bunce was dished out to the regular operators before the supervisor took the remaining bunce off to the main office. When attendances were high, the numbers reported were a complete joke, there is no doubt the club was being bled for all its worth.

Never more so than the 1st cup game against palarse in 68/69. I think the official attendance was given as 32000 but was far & away the biggest attendance that I have ever seen at the Valley. Other 30k attendances were nowhere close to that cup game.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1964-65 Charlton v Bolton. Look at that pitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAv3F5dK9Ow
  • Stone said:

1964-65 Charlton v Bolton. Look at that pitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAv3F5dK9Ow

Powell out
  • Great picture @wwaddickson. I remember it well. I'd forgotten about that small hill of mud to the right of the rear of the main stand. My father used to get annoyed with me if I went up there. Now, it only seems like yesterday.
  • Charlton 3 Swindon 3. We did this one a few months back.
  • edited January 2015
  • edited January 2015

I imagine this brings back some good memories for some of you?
    Wasn't around in 1956, but am pretty sure it was still there when I first went in 1970.

• As a young kid in the 50s, there was a spot further down Floyd Road (to the right of the entrance in this picture) where it was possible for a while to easily climb in for free. Saved me sixpence, as I recall.
  • Tight git.