Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sitting amongst opposing fans

Due to a bit of a mix up with a mate of mine, I will be having the pleasure of sitting in the Ipswich end this Tuesday. The story goes, he's a mate of mine from Uni and lives up in Cambridge (didn't fancy supporting them I guess!) and is a massive town fan. It's his 21st on tuesday so he had the idea of going to the game and then back down to London the following day for NYE, all very nice. Even nicer, his dad offered to pay for all the tickets - there is about 6 of us going, 1 other Ipswich fan and the others are neutrals. However, his dad booked the tickets a month ago and my mate only told me yesterday that they were in fact all in the home end! We had agreed I would sit in the away end when we first arranged it but obviously he forgot to tell his old man and well, I'm grateful for him paying for the tickets and letting us crash at their family home that night so I didn't really fancy giving him the hassle of getting it refunded considering i've never met the bloke. Should be quite a laugh anyway as I don't really fancy us to get anything from the game the way they're playing and more than likely I'll just be getting stick when we go a few down. No doubt we'll be getting a bit boozy before the match so I'll need to resist going too mental if Igor nets a hat-rick!

Anyway, I was wondering, whose got some good stories of sitting in the wrong end that didn't end up in someone getting beaten up or like those massives who were in the NU the other day!?

Comments

• We've all had to sit on our hands occasionally, without leaping into the air when we score.

Your turn now.

• Oggy Red said:

We've all had to sit on our hands occasionally, without leaping into the air when we score.

Your turn now.

Have we? Could not have foreseen myself ever getting in this situation before.
  • Sometimes the only way to get a ticket for the game.

I've had to do it at Bournemouth, West Ham and Southampton over the years.

• Oggy Red said:

Sometimes the only way to get a ticket for the game.

Oh yeah, fair enough if the away end is sold out. How did it work out for you?
  • Just remember .......... sit on your hands when we score!

• My Dad went to Ipswich one time with his mate and sat in the home end, Charlton were 1-0 down at half-time but ended up romping to a 5-1 victory. Anyway he probably said something or other and ended up with a bloke in his 60's threatening him with his walking stick :) I'm sure my Dad was terrified......
  • Oggy Red said:

Sometimes the only way to get a ticket for the game.

Oh yeah, fair enough if the away end is sold out. How did it work out for you?
    Bournemouth - I sat on my own as I didn't know anyone around me.
    Easier to keep quiet during our good moments.

West Ham - was with a Hammers mate at West Ham.
    He'd borrowed a mates season ticket - so had to keep schtumm when we scored (BTW that's good advice).

Southampton - company I worked for (HQ in Winchester) hired a box and we had 4 Charlton and 6 Saints in our party - so lots of wind ups and banter.
  • I was in the family enclosure for that 5-1 game! I was cheering away... But also pretty young. As long as you go along with it you'll be fine
  • Sponsored links:

• Liverpool - I managed to get 2 free tickets but we were seated in the middle of the main stand and then we went and scored, I leaped up, was pulled back down by my wife and then a local leant accross and auggested that I be very quiet for the rest of the match, which I did, we won 1-0

Spurs - a long time ago I accompanied a Burnley mate to a League Cup match at Spurs when Burnley were in the old 3rd Division. In those days all teams put out their best sides for such games. In error we were standing in the Spurs kop and Burnley won about 5-3, my mate didn't move a muscle all match
  • Was in the Arsenal end when we won 4-2 at Highbury. Nearly got into a fight as it was almost impossible not to go absolutely bloody mad !!
  • Why not explain the situation to the stewards and try to see if they can move you to the away section. Not as if it'll be full and it'll make their job potentially easier if you forget yourself and start celebrating when George scores his hat-trick.......
  • Spurs, millwank, West ham, Newcastle, Derby, arsenal,

Among others, just stand up when they score stay seated and sit on hands when we do

Was made to celebrate in the cold blow lane end of millwank when we scored in an Anglo Italian cup game or get on the end of a shoeing,

Spurs always celebrated there regardless of end due to being with those who would give you a kicking so it was never coming

The other places followed protocol and didn't take the piss didn't even get noticed
  • Used to stand in home end at the old Den when we played there. Better view.
  • Sat on my hands plenty of times, isnt difficult (nearly royally fucked it up when we hit the crossbar at Brentford) at Griffin Park, Craven Cottage and JS stand with Everton
  • You think that's going to be hard, try sitting in the away end in your own ground...

qpr in the championship winning season - didn't have a season ticket that year, turned up to find home areas sold out. Had to sit in the jimmy seed with the qpr fans. Jumped up when Maddix fouled Robbo (I think) for a pen, realised where I was and shouted 'Maddix you prat'. Thought I'd covered myself until five minute from the end when a few of them mobbed up round me and started taking the piss. All very funny - but could have ended badly for me. Good job the game ended in a draw, or I could have been battered
  • I was in the top tier of the Kippax when we drew 2-2 at Maine Road for the night game in '98.

My mate supported City so we decided to sit together.

Anyway, all was well talking to my mate enjoying the game with the geezer to my right minding his own business. Anyway, to get to the point. I said quietly "Come on Charlton we've got to beat these c****", this geezer turns round to me and says "I don't mind you supporting your team mate but don't call mine c****!"

The geezer really should have floored me but left it at that.
  • Oggy Red said:

We've all had to sit on our hands occasionally, without leaping into the air when we score.

Your turn now.

Have we? Could not have foreseen myself ever getting in this situation before.
    You've never sat in the West Stand? ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Had to sit with the Ipswich last year and I have to say they're a very decent bunch. Applauded our good play, like it was the old days, before we all got rabid and wanted someone sacked, dropped or sold every time the opposition score. Had to sit on my hands for Jacko's 90th minute equaliser though.

• Southend when we won 1-0 with a late winner. Absolutely gutted I wasn't part of the celebrations, especially when one of our fans ran across the 6 yard box.
  • Had to sit among the away fans at The Valley once, which was especially surreal. In '93, before the East Stand was built, sell-outs were not unusual. With 3 young kids I'd given up on a season ticket. Arriving near kick-off for aWest Brom game, it was either sit with the Baggies or a wasted journey. Watched in silence as we won comfortably 2-0
  • Was sat in the Matthew Harding Lower when Lisbie scored in our 1-0 win at Chelsea, sat on my hands the whole game & had to bite my tongue when we scored, I would have got battered
  • I only sat in the home end once, when we played at Crewe. I was the mood for some aggro, so I stood up and started chanting "C-A-F-C". To my shock, instead of laying into me, they all joined in.

What a nice bunch they are up there..........

Anybody not get this joke please contact Mr Flash
  • My best mate is a massive west ham fan. He came with me to the four nil game in 2007. Watching him go through the emotions whilst pretending to be one of us was hysterical. Sadly he had the last laugh as he keeps reminding me.
  • I used to work in Deptford and sometimes when Charlton was not playing, went with work colleagues to watch Millwall, standing at the home end. Did not matter who they were playing, I had to refrain from laughing when the other team scored. Once went with them to watch us play them in the Kent County cup, we lost and had to applaud them, left a horrible taste in my mouth