Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas The Big Match 1974 featuring Grimsby v Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Stone said:

Same old. Charlton lead 0-1 and fail to wrap up the game and go away with a point.

At least we used to score from poorly hit corners in those days.
  • Options
    These matches were about 10 years before I started supporting Charlton at Selhurst. When did crowd segregation start and when did they introduce those evil hard plastic spikes in the fences?
  • Options
    Our 1993 home cup game v ipswich is on BT Sport at 3.30 today.
  • Options
    proper football
  • Options
    Stone said:

Same old. Charlton lead 0-1 and fail to wrap up the game and go away with a point.

I was thinking the same thing! As a kid in the 70s, I remember my Dad saying that a Charlton lead wasn't safe until they were back in the dressing room. That has stuck with me for the last 40 years!
  • Options
    TEL said:

McCartney said:

I posted this a few weeks ago but its a classic if anyone missed it. 28mins 30 seconds in from nov75 it has it all, Valiant Towers being built, a mini pitch invasion, Jimmy Trotter next to Michael Glikstein , Andy Nelson interviewed and of course Derek Hales lumping someone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpM6afXcDw&t=1774s

Wow great memories, remember this game really well as a 15 year old in the Covered End.
    Remember the Sunderland game well. It was a full blown pitch invasion at the end if I remember correctly.

• Options
    That’s a beautiful deep red on that shirt at Grimsby
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

Proper football. No tippy tappy, sideways across the back four & then back to the keeper - just hoof it forward for the TWO forwards to chase it.

Watch a few episodes and you'll see plenty back to the keeper. The banning of the "pass back" must the biggest improvement to the game since goal nets!
    Dear old Les Berry made a career out of passing back to the 'keeper when he wasn't wellying it halfway down Floyd Road.

Proper defending.
    "Have it"
  • Options
    Another good one here - starts at 50:30 mins in (apologies if this has been posted before)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLv_WBIiyc
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited January 2018
    Depressing viewing that from a Charlton viewpoint. That Simonsen saga is difficult to comprehend. How did Hulyer pull that off and I'm assuming it must have cost him a fortune personally. Good to see Lennie Lawrence there. Coincidentally, saw him today on the TV here in the US. They showed the Newport v Spurs game and he's with Newport now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Great viewing, but - and I can’t be alone in this - I couldn't stop staring at Terry Mancini’s head.
    I know the seventies was a bit of a disaster, fashion-wise, but that can’t have ever been considered a good look for a bald man can it?
    The only people I remember seeing with a do that bad were seventies/eighties comedian Mick Miller and Karl Pilkington’s character “Dougie” in the sitcom “Derek”. And those two were surely done to get laughs?
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Yes, Mancini's barnet is a sight. Didn't seem to bother him though.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Yes, Mancini's barnet is a sight. Didn't seem to bother him though.

Yep, spot on and, to be fair, I respect him for that.
  • Options
    If only RD had used some of his wealth with half the ambition of Mark Hulyer.What might have been.....
  • Options
    'The Big Match' revisited on BT Sport 1 tonight at 22.00 featuring Charlton v Southend-16/3/75