Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bit more patience needed in my opinion....

The line-up we put out on Saturday was probably the youngest ever eleven we have put out for a league match in recent eras?

Gomez 17
Harriott 20
Cousins 20
Fox 21
Pope 22
Vetokele 22
Solly 23
Gudmundsson 24 (a month ago)

----

Buyens 26
Bikey 29
Ben Haim 32

Eight players (just) 24 or under, with some having to play out of position, and three of them (Buyens, Vetokele and Gudmundsson) not looking fully fit after coming back from injury. Jackson plays a big part in us keeping shape and adding experience, and Coqalin and Wiggins alone with have a big improvement on the starting eleven.

Slow intensity football can be difficult to watch at times, but this team is desperately missing a major presence up top and it feels like we are treading water at the moment.

We are not going to go up, and it is silly worrying at this stage that we might go down, so the most likely outcome is we will be seeing a transitional season where hopefully a few of those lads that either haven’t got much pro experience or English football experience are going to improve. If they don’t (and some won’t), then they’ll be moved on.

It was only a few weeks ago we were being described as high flying. Now in some people’s eyes the world has fallen in. if we have a bad Christmas period, then we can start looking more seriously at what needs to be done to ensure survival, but unless that happens, just a bit more patience is needed in my opinion at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    Good post AFKA. I'm not in the world's fallen in or the world beaters camp either. We are basically about where I thought we might be, possibly a little higher given the squad situation in August.

I hadn't really given the overall age of the team too much thought but set out like that you can kind of see where having an older head or two defending a lead in the final 20 minutes would help massively. Especially if that older head was a proper centre forward to take some of the pressure off Igor.
  • Options
    Very good post and is exactly where i see things.

As i mentioned on the post match thoughts thread I think some of the new players are now seeing the tiredness of updating to Championship/English football.

We are moving in the right direction with this squad and I prefer to build a team up which should hopefully see as get stronger and stronger over the next few seasons as we add a little bit here and there and some of the players get older and wiser to the championship.
  • Options
    Then we had a bench of...

Karlan Ahearne-Grant... 17
    Joe Pigott.. 21
    George Tucudean... 23
    Neil Etheridge... 24
    Frederic Bulot.. 24

-------

Lawrie Wilson... 27
    Oguchi Onyewu... 32
  • Options
    spot on AFKA, I watch Gomez and think he is light years ahead of other players his age though, I'd have rather seem him and Solly swap places Saturday
  • Options
    Also forget Harriott is still only 20, seems to been around for ages now.
  • Options
    I'm with you on the whole, AFKA, and have generally enjoyed the matches I've attended/ watched on stream, and am prepared to be patient/ keep behind Bob and the team.

However, I also completely understand the ongoing frustration re RD letting Yann slip through our fingers, just because he was too old/expensive/talismanic (delete as appropriate) and not replace adequately/ at all. We all knew at the time it would probably come back to bite us. It just leaves a "so near, yet so far" feeling.

And next season it will be even harder to compete with more clubs with more money and looser FFP regs, so it's a bit like the relegation season from the Prem in that way - the worst possible time just to be consolidating.
  • Options

Good post AFKA. I'm not in the world's fallen in or the world beaters camp either. We are basically about where I thought we might be, possibly a little higher given the squad situation in August.

I hadn't really given the overall age of the team too much thought but set out like that you can kind of see where having an older head or two defending a lead in the final 20 minutes would help massively. Especially if that older head was a proper centre forward to take some of the pressure off Igor.

Agree.

The good start raised everyone's expectations, as it should, but for various reasons we couldn't maintain that form.

It is, IMHO, a bit flat at the moment.

The point about the age of the players (I had forgotten how young Igor is) is very valid. That is the risk of relying too much of younger players. A lot of that is because of injuries but we've all been able to see that the squad was thin from kick off.

Had Jackson and Wiggins been available and Igor been fully fit I expect we'd have picked up more points by now but hard to moan about squad size when your last game was v Blackpool.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Agree wholeheartedly. But patience just isn't in the make up of the modern day football supporter. Results and performances can be frustrating, but sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture. We're not always going to pulverise lower opposition, but the bigger picture is the journey and vision that RD has for the club, which includes things other than bolstering the playing staff (pitch, training ground, fit programme sellers etc). He's transforming the club from the ground up and if things continue to improve at this rate, we'll have a club and squad that we'll be immensely proud of, but there will be bumps along the way (to quote previous post from @Henry Irving‌) and it probably won't happen when we want it to. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Also, looking at the ages of the players mentioned above, it feels like Chris Solly has been around way too long to still only be 23!
  • Options
    Top post.

You can't win anything with kids.

We are set up to be difficult to beat and BP is making best use of resources to maintain a sound platform for the future. Satisfied with having long term optimism but admit it's more "interesting" than exciting.

Alternative could be a squad of has-been journeymen giving us excitement but false hopes and ultimate disappointment and wondering where we go next.
  • Options
    agree AFKA, well said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe if they are good enough they are old enough. The thing is we are a very good team, but every game 2 or 3 players are playing out of position when it doest need to be done. The players who play out of position end up playing with the I don't want to make a mistake mindset, which yes is the right thing to do but at the same time it stops these players showing what they can really do. Cousins has improved on the left but I have no doubt once he settles back in the middle his energy will really get us moving again. Harriott is not a striker, get him back on the left, yes we all know he is going to be hit and miss in games but let him do what his best at and taking on players and whipping in crosses.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that at the start of the season we was quality going forward we played with no fear and we got results. Why change something that was clearly working. What I have seen of the Championship teams this season is that not many of them are actually that good. I don't expect us storm the league or even be right up there, but it feels like we go into every game to contain the other team rather then really pushing for the 3 points.

• Options
    I think I worked out that the average age without Bikey and TBH was 21 1/2 and with them 23, puts it in perspective especially when you take into account Buyens, Gudmunsen and Vetokele - key players are not used to the intensity of English football.

This is very much a season of development and consolidation. Next season for those three will throw up different issues as clubs will have had the opportunity to "suss" them out and they will have to adapt their game.
  • Options
    Spot on AFKA
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Great post, AFKA.

Wish I'd have chosen that case for the defence !

• Options
    As much as its frustrating to keep drawing i agree we need patience. We are in a lot better position than last year. We are not losing. We have a young squad still learning and a young manager also still learning. I'd take where we are now over last year any day of the week.

Apart from the obvious additional striker required i do actually like this squad.
  • Options

Agree.

The good start raised everyone's expectations, as it should, but for various reasons we couldn't maintain that form.

The point about the age of the players (I had forgotten how young Igor is) is very valid. That is the risk of relying too much of younger players. A lot of that is because of injuries but we've all been able to see that the squad was thin from kick off.

Had Jackson and Wiggins been available and Igor been fully fit I expect we'd have picked up more points by now but hard to moan about squad size when your last game was v Blackpool.
    If anything you'd think young players would have a bit more forward energy about them but the intensity/sense of urgency only seemed to pick up once it went 2-2. We then had our best spell of the game...albeit for only a few minutes. Perhaps the team missed Jackson urging them on.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Agree.

If anything you'd think young players would have a bit more forward energy about them but the intensity/sense of urgency only seemed to pick up once it went 2-2. We then had our best spell of the game...albeit for only a few minutes. Perhaps the team missed Jackson urging them on.
    A lot of games don't really open up until a goal changes things. Blackpool for the first half on Saturday were content just to hold their shape, frustrate us, and put the onus on us to push the attaching play. On the other hand, we had a mixed up eleven, not really sure where some players should be playing as it was probably a last minute imposed change, which more often than not leads to chess-style keep-posession between keeper, defence, midfield. Sometimes you need a different option, and we were crying out for a target man to go long and play off for much of the game on Saturday. Sadly, George currently doesn't look like being that man.

• Options
    For me the frustration stems from the lost opportunity, not the age or performance of the team. Another decent midfielder and a hold up striker in September would have solved the 'lack of experience' problem and see us higher up the table.
    Of course that is all water under the bridge now. The problem I see now is that this squad is already struggling, 2 wins and 12 points in the last 11 games is relegation form, and we have not hit the hard months yet in terms of injuries and intensity of games. RD may take the same view as some in this discussion that this is a transitional year. In which case he will not be in a hurry to reinforce the squad in January. If we get to February and say, Ben Haim, Vetokele and Buyens are added to the injury list, we could be facing a desperate season end.
  • Options

The line-up we put out on Saturday was probably the youngest ever eleven we have put out for a league match in recent eras?

Gomez 17
    Harriott 20
    Cousins 20
    Fox 21
    Pope 22
    Vetokele 22
    Solly 23
    Gudmundsson 24 (a month ago)

----

Buyens 26
    Bikey 29
    Ben Haim 32

Eight players (just) 24 or under, with some having to play out of position, and three of them (Buyens, Vetokele and Gudmundsson) not looking fully fit after coming back from injury. Jackson plays a big part in us keeping shape and adding experience, and Coqalin and Wiggins alone with have a big improvement on the starting eleven.

Slow intensity football can be difficult to watch at times, but this team is desperately missing a major presence up top and it feels like we are treading water at the moment.

We are not going to go up, and it is silly worrying at this stage that we might go down, so the most likely outcome is we will be seeing a transitional season where hopefully a few of those lads that either haven’t got much pro experience or English football experience are going to improve. If they don’t (and some won’t), then they’ll be moved on.

It was only a few weeks ago we were being described as high flying. Now in some people’s eyes the world has fallen in. if we have a bad Christmas period, then we can start looking more seriously at what needs to be done to ensure survival, but unless that happens, just a bit more patience is needed in my opinion at the moment.

Hallelujah common sense at last . Well said dan
  • Options
    Totally agree with the sentiments of the OP and this thread. I've said for a long time that 2015-16 should be a further improvement on this season which in turn is streets ahead of last.
    We have two windows between now and August 2015 for players to come and go. The squad which starts next season will be a year older so stronger and more experienced.
    Right now we have the youngest squad in the Championship! If five players leave and are replaced with five better players then perhaps we won't be struggling to beat bottom six clubs?

However right now we can't buy a win and January can't come quick enough - to get Henderson and Wiggins back and a couple of quality signings. Unfortunately it looks unlikely we will still be in touch with the top six so the club may not feel obliged to pay top dollar for the quality we need.

I would argue that they should buy in what we need for a crack at the cup and for more preparation for 2015-16. And to look to ensure a top half finish which is achievable with some luck and a couple of decent signings. If Coquelin is available then we should certainly sign him. Top half would be a massive improvement on last season and enable fans to focus on the future, not the recent past.

As for Kermorgant, he's gone and is unlikely to return. In narrow performance terms the decision to sell looks worse every week! But that is with the luxury of hindsight. At the time M.Duchatelet bought a club in the bottom six with a decent ground and academy. The better players were angling for moves and refusing to sign offers of extensions... Everything has been covered in detail elsewhere and, as posted before, every manager except Avory, Joyes, Roberts has gone. And every player over 24 (except Jackson) has left the club. The strategy was to clear the decks AND stay up. It was executed with a view to starting over and is the reason we are where we are today.

Filling that #9 shirt will cost serious money but lets hope they do it soon and with a loan or permanent signing who can help us push on from this new position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    21 & 22 is not very young at this level, granted it's not fully experienced but it's not super young. I give you Johann as an example, at the age of 23 he had already made 34 appearances at full international level for Iceland. Vetokele has made 96 professional club appearances.. Cousins & Gomez 20 and 17 respectively both play like they have had the ball at their feet at a professional level for 20 years. As did Diego.

Promotion won't happen, and relegation shouldn't barring a nightmare scenario, just another season batting along in the Championship. Problem is the lack of investment we will have during the season, Bob is using what he has with a paper thin squad. I'm not upset with the season so far but it isn't half boring tactically, the excitement of the early season results have since worn off.
  • Options
    A good and sober judgement from AFKA on a Monday.
    Even Nicholas is talking sense after his venom filled rage at Pope. (did you never watch David James)
    I said on Friday about good luck to our young players who get a chance in the 1st team
    and that they need a thick skin. what prophetic words.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Lol yes I know that was harsh but as soon as that went in 10 thousand other fans must have thought or said the same. Popes a decent shot stopper but he made his mind up to come for that ball even before the player took the free kick. If you're brave/stupid enough to make that decision in the last few minutes after you already made a howler in the game you have to expect some criticism imo.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Nicholas said:

I believe if they are good enough they are old enough. The thing is we are a very good team, but every game 2 or 3 players are playing out of position when it doest need to be done. The players who play out of position end up playing with the I don't want to make a mistake mindset, which yes is the right thing to do but at the same time it stops these players showing what they can really do. Cousins has improved on the left but I have no doubt once he settles back in the middle his energy will really get us moving again. Harriott is not a striker, get him back on the left, yes we all know he is going to be hit and miss in games but let him do what his best at and taking on players and whipping in crosses.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that at the start of the season we was quality going forward we played with no fear and we got results. Why change something that was clearly working. What I have seen of the Championship teams this season is that not many of them are actually that good. I don't expect us storm the league or even be right up there, but it feels like we go into every game to contain the other team rather then really pushing for the 3 points.

How is that worthy of a flag @A-R-T-H-U-R‌

Second time you have flagged me for nothing.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I cursed at the whole defence, not just the keeper.
    Ben roberts will earn his money this week. it seems to be one step forward then 2 steps back for pope,
    after the derby mistake he was shaky for the the 1st 25 mins at udders. but since then he had looked good
    even taking the friendly banter from the Millwall fans(that must be a joke) without being effected.
    also the packed ipswich fans didn't unsettle him.

The bottom line is we are missing the steady eddie that stephen Henderson has been at CAFC so far.
    plus Rhoys Wiggins from an attacking point of view.
    The reason i don't slag individual players off too much is having been a football manager at a lower level you know
    you need them the following week or until you can sign a better player.

Bob Peeters is in the same position!
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

How is that worthy of a flag @A-R-T-H-U-R‌

Second time you have flagged me for nothing.

Sorry, meant to LIke.