Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob or José?

There seems to have been quite a bit of frustration about at Big Bob's management over the last week or two: Lack of shape/purpose, playing players out of position, surrendering leads, binary score-lines and most of all a lack of wins. This all seems to be in sharp contrast with the position a couple of months back, when we were boasting about being the only undefeated team in the division and one of only a handful in the league. When Bob Peeters joined Charlton he got a fair welcome despite the fact that a good number of fans that thought José Riga had done well enough to secure the manager's post on a longer term basis. In a short space of time he'd put together a winning team and an impressive string of results. Now though, the wins seem to have dried up and the points have stopped flowing as has the fluency on the pitch. If Bob's honeymoon isn't over yet, it seems like there's not long before the time when results will be judged in a rather harsher light.

In comparison to his predecessor Big Bob has won more points, though he's taken more games to do so. His team is scoring more goals; 1.1 per game compared to 1.06. And only once have we lost by more than one goal, something that happened four times under José's tenure. The disturbing thing though, is that although we're difficult to beat we are also struggling to win; 57% of all matches this season have ended as draws. Under the old two-points for a win system, I'm sure we'd all be as happy as pigs in the proverbial. But these days a draw isn't just a point earned, it's two points dropped. How long can the current situation carry on without serious questions being asked by the Charlton board? In the meantime though, lets ask the Lifers a (perhaps) more frivolous one: Bob or José?

More stats can be found here.

Comments

• Options
    More pertinently, what would joses stats be with this team compared to last seasons team.
  • Options
    Different managers, different teams, different situations. Could Bob have pulled off a recovery like Jose did? We'll never know. What could Jose do if he got the time and cash Bob's had? It's a mystery. If Jose HAD got the job full time I would have thought that a good result, but overall I am more than happy with Big Bald Bob's work so far. He's made mistakes, but he's made more good calls than bad overall for me. The team has obvious weaknesses - but he's already said as much himself and needs the money to deal with it.

For a young manager who (as many were quick to point out, repeatedly) hadn't any managerial experience in this country before, he's done a pretty damn good job. I want wins, but draws are better than losses. Give him money and patience in January and I think we'll see a team with a bit more sparkle than splutter.
  • Options
    Church or Igor.......discuss
  • Options
    I think managers in general have too much emphasis placed upon them,don't understand it really. More about the players that a club has.
  • Options
    Riga for me.
  • Options
    Karel Fraye - the once and future king
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited December 2014
    SamB09 said:

I think managers in general have too much emphasis placed upon them,don't understand it really. More about the players that a club has.

Having quality of players is important. If you have a sows ear you are not going to get a silk purse whoever you are. Having a lack of quality available on the pitch does tend to magnify a manager's strategic errors and tactical weaknesses.

I liked Riga but we have Bob Peeters. I would like to see him have the quality on the pitch to work with. Maybe then he would have more confidence to go for it.
  • Options
    Bob in the third. Too big for Jose.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Peeters...simple by far the better manager. If he had been available last Jan he would have started then. The change in our football in such a short time as been fantastic.

Big Bob had a longer time than Jose Riga and Jose Riga's style of play was a huge transition to what we were playing just weeks before. Jose Riga had a high pressure job too, lot of respect for him, considering the team we had now and what we have now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jose was a lot more direct. Hire him as well as bob.
  • Options
    In some ways Jose had it easier; he was on a hiding to nothing and only had to set his teams out to scrape draws against tough teams and sneak wins against the rest. The thing that's got people most annoyed this weekend is that we set up too negatively against Blackpool at home, but we absolutely burgled Bournemouth at The Valley last season with a line up that had Church on his own up front. We were also bloody dreadful against Barnsley at home and they were atrocious last year. We expect more of Bob, partially because he's got Igor and Johann where Riga had Sordell and Green, but if you reversed their situations we'd probably be praising Bob for his pragmatism. The main issue is we have no idea how Jose would set up with the same resources as Bob but everybody's bloody bored with these draws.
  • Options
    Chris
  • Options
    Not a fair comparison IMO.

2 differing scenarios and 2 (almost) different sets of players.
  • Options
    Lee Clark
    turned Blackpool around so better than them all
  • Options
    Bill and Ben. Both flower pot men, discuss...
  • Options
    Big Bad Bob has shown a lot of positives in getting together a pretty new squad and making us difficult to beat - a good platform. However, he is still very young and inexperienced as a Championship manager. I'd like to see him be more decisive/positive in use of subs, put a bit more trust in some of the established players (eg Wilson) and get those with talent performing more consistenly to the best of their abilities (eg Igor, JBG, Harriott, even George). Too many players have gone a bit backwards recently, and we can't afford that with a small squad.

He also needs to sort out leadership on the pitch - much as i love little Solly, I am not sure it is his forte, and he will miss some games over Christmas due to his knee probably too. So I'd like to see either TBH or Buyens entrusted with the captaincy until JJ is back.

Come on Bob - you know what they say - when the going gets tough, the tough get going...
  • Options

Bob in the third. Too big for Jose.

Third minute?
  • Options
    Bob is a good manager for a pretty grizzly league where every other team is hard to beat but not very attractive. I would like to see him perform with another half decent striker in the team to take the pressure off a fragile Igor. Losing a player as good as Coquelin late in the day this week did not help but I don't believe he was coming here permanently and you are always going to risk this with loans from the Premiership if they are any good and without baggage like injury and/or attitude problems. A decent striker signing and a strengthening of the midfield could see us remain comfortably in the top half. Sadly the Sir Chris honeymoon appears to be coming to an end at grim Huddersfield.
  • Options
    BOB
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big_Bob said:

BOB

You would say that ;-)
  • Options

Big Bad Bob has shown a lot of positives in getting together a pretty new squad and making us difficult to beat - a good platform. However, he is still very young and inexperienced as a Championship manager. I'd like to see him be more decisive/positive in use of subs, put a bit more trust in some of the established players (eg Wilson) and get those with talent performing more consistenly to the best of their abilities (eg Igor, JBG, Harriott, even George). Too many players have gone a bit backwards recently, and we can't afford that with a small squad.

He also needs to sort out leadership on the pitch - much as i love little Solly, I am not sure it is his forte, and he will miss some games over Christmas due to his knee probably too. So I'd like to see either TBH or Buyens entrusted with the captaincy until JJ is back.

Come on Bob - you know what they say - when the going gets tough, the tough get going...

TBH should be the stand in skipper but perhaps Bob is looking to the future.
  • Options
    Riga's football with some of Bob's results…or Chris Powell.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:

Manchester Utd.

• Options
    reserves said:

SamB09 said:

Manchester Utd.

Six wins in a row Manchester United?
  • Options
    I don't think we've had a bad season so far considering in August it was panic stations due to lack of transfer activity, BUT, we have drawn far too many games and Blackpool are a team we'd ideally be beating. Bob has done a fine job so far and I'm fully behind him, I just think Riga with all his experience is the better of the two for that reason, experience. I'd have liked Riga to still be here and feel we'd be flying with him in charge (and maybe would have kept Poyet).
  • Options
    Neither.
  • Options
    I'd pick Bob for the Pub crawl, good laugh, plus any aggro, he would sort it.
    Jose for the wine bar where the ladies would flock around and we could explain the
    merits of 442, 451 and Quantum physics.

As Jose kept us up and Bob has us in the top half of the table (just)

I would say it's another score draw. (no more draws)