Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cousins on the left - has it been a success?

edited December 2014 in General Charlton
Am I the only one who thinks this switch has been a success? Cutting in onto his right foot is really serving us well in my opinion, to the point where I no longer think signing a left winger is a necessity.

He didn't look great last season on the right but his threat from the left is the only consistent part of our attacking play recently.

Comments

• Options
    His ability to defend also means that the Left-Back gets protected... Kinda like when Johnnie Jackson used to operate down that side
  • Options
    I think he's so talented that he can play in so many positions - this means we need a strong manager who can identify his best position and then give him serious game time in that position so he can fulfill his potential and not move him around all the time.
  • Options
    Cousins went on the left to accommodate strong central midfielders. Well Jackson injured and Coquelin recalled and suddenly there's a shift in that equation.
    Gomez gets a game so why not Solly left back with Cousins and Buyens central and play Harriott or Bulot left wing?
    For sure Cousins has scored a couple of sweet goals cutting onto his right but the attacking threat on the left these last few games could be a lot stronger.

So in answer to the OP, it's been a success for Cousins to get more game time in what was an improving side. But right now Peeters has to find his best formation for the next three games so as to stay in the top half of the table.
  • Options
    He's got the talent to play anywhere so it looks like it's working. but keep him to the middle, he can run a game and you need that in the Championship, young fit engines.. Johann is not that, Cousins can be, Harriott is also not a striker. TBH I have no idea what Bob is doing, he's trying a Wenger on Henry with a few too many players... perhaps Pope up top as a hold up striker will be a good shout ....
  • Options
    Not for me.

He looked a bit better yesterday as he was playing slightly closer inside rather than hugging the touch line.

Unfortunately he is another player I'm not so sure has come on as well as I was hoping over the past 12 months. Then again he was absolutely exceptional in the first few games he played for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Not worked for me, also would have preferred Lawrie Wilson in centre midfield, rather than Chris solly, but hey what do we know, it's bobs neck that's on the chopping block not ours.
  • Options
    I think he's become one of our most important players. His workrate and effort is brilliant and he looks a threat going forward
  • Options
    The guy a couple of seats a away from me hates Cousins and berates him at every opportunity even when it's undeserved. Looked a complete plank when JC scored yesterday. That said, I'm not Jordans biggest fan and a lot of that has to do with him being played out of position on the left. For every time he has cut in and scored this year (twice) there are a dozen screw ups and his crossing/corner taking is excruciatingly bad. I give him the benefit of the doubt for sheer effort but he'll never be a left winger so long as I have a hole in my jacksie.
  • Options
    Cousins gets caught in possession a few too many times for me and in the middle of the park this can be very costly, especially seeing as Buyens is also prone to losing the ball in there. I think a more advanced role would suit him better, playing in front of 2 other midfielders, maybe a front 6 of:

Jackson Buyens
    JBG Cousins Harriott
    Vetokele

Would see him flourish, as he could drop into the midfield when defending and has the engine to break and get right up front with Vetokele too
  • Options
    Great young player but he needs to stop giving away possession. Would love to know the percentage of times he gives it away to opposition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For ne, the answer to this can be covered in 2 words: Royston Drenthe.

Watch the difference when Jordan was moved from the right to the left to counter his threat.

A resounding yes.
  • Options

Great young player but he needs to stop giving away possession. Would love to know the percentage of times he gives it away to opposition.

Not sure how reliable it is but passing accuracy is 72% here:

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/160
  • Options
    Think he has performed well on the left, but CM is his position.

• Options
    I think Jordan has been one if not the best performer over the last few weeks and is starting to look more of a threat from the left.
  • Options

Not worked for me, also would have preferred Lawrie Wilson in centre midfield, rather than Chris solly, but hey what do we know, it's bobs neck that's on the chopping block not ours.

Wilson in CM Mendonca??!!
  • Options
    The paradox is he's more likly to score on the left when he cuts in, plus he can protect the left side.
    centre mid looks his best position, but his close control is still erratic for a lad who has played for every England
    age group up to u20. If or when that improves he won't be playing for CAFC anymore.

That's the harsh truth of it. so accept the stray passes he makes and enjoy his 100% commitment
  • Options
    Centre Mid is he's best but all of our managers feel they have had 2 better each time therefore in true Charlton style we wedge him in where we can
  • Options
    He's a decent player, but to me doesn't stand out like Poyet did, or Gomez does. A typical English energetic player, as typified by the likes of Jordan Herderson.

• Options

He's got the talent to play anywhere so it looks like it's working. but keep him to the middle, he can run a game and you need that in the Championship, young fit engines.. Johann is not that, Cousins can be, Harriott is also not a striker. TBH I have no idea what Bob is doing, he's trying a Wenger on Henry with a few too many players... perhaps Pope up top as a hold up striker will be a good shout ....

I read this and thought "Why are you telling Tal Ben Haim you don't know what Bob's doing?".
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Cousins gets caught in possession a few too many times for me and in the middle of the park this can be very costly, especially seeing as Buyens is also prone to losing the ball in there. I think a more advanced role would suit him better, playing in front of 2 other midfielders, maybe a front 6 of:

Jackson Buyens
    JBG Cousins Harriott
    Vetokele

Would see him flourish, as he could drop into the midfield when defending and has the engine to break and get right up front with Vetokele too

I can see sense in this except it nullifies JJ's goal threat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big_Bob said:

Wilson in CM Mendonca??!!
    Yep , definately, Lawrie has got the energy to be a box to box midfielder , and he's an absolute tank on Football Manager....

• Options
    See, i couldn't disagree with you more.

Wilson is a right back no more, offers nowt in the final third.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say a total 'success' .. in the games I have seen we lacked penetration and pace down the left (all over the park it could be said) especially without Wiggins.. Cousins is a talented player out of position on the left but at present there is no place for him in the centre of midfield and he is too good to be left out .. however, Saturday's goal showed that he is maturing as a goal scorer left, right or centre
  • Options
    I think Wilson could play central midfield if asked to. Has that energetic, tenacious busy-body vibe about his game. The sort of all or nothing player you can count on to put in a shift.
  • Options
    Wilson played centre mid for Stevenage.
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

Apart from 2 goals v Brighton last season, when making rare incursions into the final third ?
  • Options

Big_Bob said:

Apart from 2 goals v Brighton last season, when making rare incursions into the final third ?
    Plus the 2 goals against colchester in the cup this season.

But apart from that, what have the Romans every done for us.

• Options
    still not sure cousins best position, definitely improved second half Saturday when played out wider. Don't think we would get the best out of either wilson or solly centre mid so cousins and Buyens looks best be
  • Options
    I'm still struggling to see what Cousins offers in any position I'm afraid.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I'm still struggling to see what Cousins offers in any position I'm afraid.

Really? Great in the tackle, some great passing, starting to score, superb energy and determination. And of course, consistant and flexable. I am sure that his name is one of the first on the team sheet