Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aaron Barnes signs pro deal (ed. Sold to Col U)

Comments

• Is he a good prospect from those that watch regularly?
  • se9addick said:

Just out of curiousity but seeing a lot of comments about Chris Solly missing a lot of matches this season.

Can I just ask on what basis this is... He had a long term knee injury yet has managed to get over it and from January 2015 he barely missed a match, with the player himself stating that the knee wasn't causing him problems anymore?

Absolutely right.

Chris Solly played the third most minutes by any Charlton player last season (league games only).

Cousins was way out in front with Buyens in second and Solly third.
    That's incredible given he was out every other game at the start of the season (which is how Gomez got his chance) - must have played almost every minute of the second half of the season.
    He was only rested for the league cup and midweek league games by Peeters I don't think Luzon rested him at all
  • Is he a good prospect from those that watch regularly?

He is very good going forward but needs a bit of work re his positioning. But will be good cover for Solly in the future. I agree with others not ready for first team. I wonder if Loic Nego is pencilled in for that spot.

• I've seen him a few times and agree with a lot said here. I don't think he is ready yet, and strangely I have always been more impressed with his attacking runs than his defending. I haven't seen him under much pressure so longer term watchers might want to comment on his play as a defender. Certainly downright defending is one of Sollys greatest strengths.
    Aaron going forward is pretty quick, has great close control and a slippery quality, he is also very fond of forays upfield. I would also say Aaron is very vocal, indeed he really shuts up, but I see it as a way of staying focussed, he likes to feel involved one way or another.
    Aaron is one I would love to see make it, but it really does feel like too soon at the moment, and I wonder if he has always played in defence, because he has the pace and skill to do damage.
  • Scoham said:
    Good news, though slightly surprised he's only got another year, when you consider some of the long contracts given to other academy graduates
  • His Dad was there today. He is a very nice man.
  • Scoham said:
    Good news, though slightly surprised he's only got another year, when you consider some of the long contracts given to other academy graduates
    21 in October so probably his last chance to make it here. Looking back through this thread someone said he had been aiming to break through in 2015/16.
  • From what I have seen of him, Barnes isn't ready yet.

Do you mean ready for a move?
  • I've only seen him over the last few months but feel he has the quality both in defence and attack; very committed in the tackle, quick feet, and enjoys forays upfield. I guess at 20 he needs to make an impression soon but I believe KR has been impressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    He looks extremely happy about it... Obviously knows something about the takeover ;)
  • As I've said before, he's come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months. This time last year I thought he was the weak link in the U23s.

If he can make the same progression within the next 12 months, he will be next seasons Aribo/Konsa. He is improving every game I see him and credit has to go to Jason Euell et al.
  • dickplumb said:

His Dad was there today. He is a very nice man.

Bit of a character, very enthusiastic!
  • Played very very well according to my Torquay supporting mate (really).
  • Gone Colchester
  • Given he is reasonably two footed, can see him doing well as a midfielder.
  • I suppose djiksteel and Charles cook are ahead of him in the pecking order. Shame as I heard he’s a talented lad but it’s understandable for all parties
  • I feel sorry for him. Played a few pre-season games at right back, and looked quality.

Which meant he was given the opportunity to play out of position at left back, against a Portuguese international winger, and was roasted.

In the same game Djiksteel was also played out of position at right back, and played a blinder. And duly moved above him in the pecking order.
  • Sponsored links:

• I feel sorry for him. Played a few pre-season games at right back, and looked quality.

Which meant he was given the opportunity to play out of position at left back, against a Portuguese international winger, and was roasted.

In the same game Djiksteel was also played out of position at right back, and played a blinder. And duly moved above him in the pecking order.

And we didn't sell Konsa. If Konsa had gone, extra cover at RB would have been needed
  • I suppose djiksteel and Charles cook are ahead of him in the pecking order. Shame as I heard he’s a talented lad but it’s understandable for all parties

They are both midfielders. Barnes is a right back. Otherwise spot on.
  • He wants to get games
  • Apparently he has been loaned back to Torquay (from Colchester) for the rest of the season!
  • Apparently he has been loaned back to Torquay (from Colchester) for the rest of the season!

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/transfer-news/torquay-uniteds-aaron-barnes-transferring-1150158

Yes! A slightly unusual deal, certainly for a L2 club
  • I did find it strange to find nothing from Torquay on their twitter account when the deal was completed
  • edited February 2018
  • I was at the Maidenhead v Torquay game today, cracking goal from Aaron, a deserved victory for Torquay who pretty much dominated the game, Aaron has bags of energy as well as plenty of pace and ran his socks off.