Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The FA Cup is still a priority for Charlton, says Peeters

Comments

• Options
    "The FA Cup is still a priority for Charlton, says Peeters"
  • Options
    Yeah. We've heard it all before.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

"The FA Cup is still a priority for Charlton, says Peeters"

He means as our squad gradually gets depleted, we've got lots of untried U-21s we want to play.

• Options
    Oh god no, not another run to a quarter final, where we turn up with 10,000 plus to travel somewhere ridiculous on a Tuesday night or Sunday. Only to see the team, completely fail to turn up with us, and put on a performance,worse than a home game against Millwall. Helped move on Curbs and CP, beware Bob !
  • Options

Oh god no, not another run to a quarter final, where we turn up with 10,000 plus to travel somewhere ridiculous on a Tuesday night or Sunday. Only to see the team, completely fail to turn up with us, and put on a performance,worse than a home game against Millwall. Helped move on Curbs and CP, beware Bob !

Dont forget being swept under the rug by being given horrible televised kick-off times...
  • Options
    Why bother coming out with this. It's like all the rubbish always spoken before we play Millwall. Let the footy do the talking. Words are cheap.
  • Options

Why bother coming out with this. It's like all the rubbish always spoken before we play Millwall. Let the footy do the talking. Words are cheap.

No doubt that's because Mr Peeters was specifically asked about the Cup game by the nice News Hopper reporter at Press Day, having drawn Blackburn this week.

He'll have just answered the question. It was only polite.

;o)

• Options
    Guess so Oggy. Bloody News Shopper. I will blame that rag instead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You really are a looney aren't you?
  • Options
    LoonyBin said:

I've seen Charlton play some cracking games in the cup.

Back in '69 we beat Palace 2 - 0 in a third round replay at the Supermarket after a 0 - 0 draw at the Valley. I was stuck outside the ground trying to get in when Ray Treacy scored our first goal after about 3 minutes, but I saw his second... a peach of a drive from 20 yards that beat Jackson all ends up. It would be our last win at Palace in the 20th Century. Cracking game though. Full house, fantastic atmosphere. We ran 'em ragged. Charlie Wright had a night off.

'77 was another memorable cup year. We played Pompey at the Valley in the fourth round when they were bottom of the old second division. They must have bought 10'000 fans up and they were just as noisy a bunch then as they are now. Bob Curtis put us 1 - 0 up with a penalty after two minutes and after that the only time we had the ball was when we kicked off for the second half. But somehow we held out until the 90th minute when Norman Piper equalised with a diving header. Gutted. I was based in Portsmouth at that time so had to put up with serious stick from all the Pompey fans at work who were telling me they'd slaughter us in the replay. Fratton Park had a full house for that game and the way they had played in the first game, they truly expected to win. We beat 'em 3 - 0. We played Wolves in the fifth round and were put out 0 - 3 by a John Richards hat trick but the scoreline flattered Wolves. We were better than that.

We were drawn away at Colchester in the third round in '84. Cracking match. Les Berry had the game of his life. Towering performance. And the game was won by a joke of an own goal by former Manyoo central defender Stewart Houston who prodded a long clearance by Berry back towards where he thought his goalkeeper was, but wasn't. Ooops.

I remember Alan Shearer telling the BBC how negative Charlton were when we played them in Round 3 during their Premiership winning season, and how much he was looking forward to getting stuck into the Charlton defence back at Ewood in the replay. Darren Pitcher's 1st half strike was enough to win the game for us. Oi, Shearer.... shut your mouth..!!

Just a few fond memories from down the years. Yeah, there have been disappointments. The defeat at Middlesbrough was crushing. I don't think I spoke a single word in the car all the way home. I was too gutted. We came so close to beating Ipswich at the Valley when they were managed by Bobby Robson and had the likes of Muhren, Wark and Gates in the team. We were bottom of the second division at the time... but we led 2 - 1 at half time and it was so close.... so close...

Lots of matches over many years. I could write more, but I won't. For now.

I've forgotten just as many of our cup exploits because they were rotten matches or because we didn't turn up and just got humped on the day. Yeah, that happens and it sucks, but hey... Nobody ever said being a Charlton supporter is for the faint hearted. If you can't hack it, go buy a Chelsea shirt and jump ship. There's plenty of room for glory seekers at the Bridge.

The FA Cup is about occasions that make memories. The memories can be made at places like Fratton Park on a chilly January Wednesday night, or a dank Saturday afternoon in Colchester. It doesn't matter where it is or who the opposition are. What matters is how it sticks in the memory.

If Bob Peeters says the FA Cup matters I'll take him at his word. He may be bullshitting us all and it wouldn't surprise me if he was, but for now, I'll travel up for the Blackburn game prepared to believe.

You never know.... something might happen that's worth remembering.

Perhaps the game where the binary bores break their duck? Charlton 1-2 Blackburn. I'll tell my grandchildren I was there.
  • Options
    Great post, Mr LoonyBin.

I was also there at Selhurst in 1969, and missed Ray Treacy's first goal because of the massive queues at the turnstiles.

It was a strange ground in those days with just the 'Half hour wait' stand and terracing only half way up, above it being steep grassy bank. Steep grassy bank on the away end too.

It had been raining and the big crowd soon turned the grassy bank into mud.
    Remember Treacy's second goal thundering in and as we all jumped about going crazy, we all slithered down the slippery bank and into a big heap of fans at the bottom.

What a night!

Our reward was being drawn away to the Arsenal at Highbury in the 4th Round.
    But that's another story.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Oggy Red said:

Great post, Mr LoonyBin.

I was also there at Selhurst in 1969, and missed Ray Treacy's first goal because of the massive queues at the turnstiles.

It was a strange ground in those days with just the 'Half hour wait' stand and terracing only half way up, above it being steep grassy bank. Steep grassy bank on the away end too.

It had been raining and the big crowd soon turned the grassy bank into mud.
    Remember Treacy's second goal thundering in and as we all jumped about going crazy, we all slithered down the slippery bank and into a big heap of fans at the bottom.

What a night!

Our reward was being drawn away to the Arsenal at Highbury in the 4th Round.
    But that's another story.

Great night that Oggster, we missed the first goal as well, great delight when the second went in like a rocket just under the crossbar from Treacle. Got turned over at the library though in the next round by Robertson on one wing, Bobby Gould & John Radford up front and Jon Sammels? In midfield. Nightmare getting home almost walked to Catford Bridge before we could get on a 122 :-)
  • Options
    That night at selhurst , is the only time I remember my dad (still here and in his 80,s) coming to a agame. Left home got out the car and and there I was in my slippers I was 12 . We stood on the grassy bank and was sliding down hill all night ! Was also at Blackburn for that 1-0 win great nights. Shame there are dozens of nights and a handful of good ones. But, hey that's what being a Charlton fan dealt us !
  • Options
    Love the way us old timers have hijacked the thread to wallow in our golden memories from yesteryear.

Well, we did thump Palace.

And it was at Selhurst.

• Options
    LoonyBin said:

I've seen Charlton play some cracking games in the cup.

Back in '69 we beat Palace 2 - 0 in a third round replay at the Supermarket after a 0 - 0 draw at the Valley. I was stuck outside the ground trying to get in when Ray Treacy scored our first goal after about 3 minutes, but I saw his second... a peach of a drive from 20 yards that beat Jackson all ends up. It would be our last win at Palace in the 20th Century. Cracking game though. Full house, fantastic atmosphere. We ran 'em ragged. Charlie Wright had a night off.

'77 was another memorable cup year. We played Pompey at the Valley in the fourth round when they were bottom of the old second division. They must have bought 10'000 fans up and they were just as noisy a bunch then as they are now. Bob Curtis put us 1 - 0 up with a penalty after two minutes and after that the only time we had the ball was when we kicked off for the second half. But somehow we held out until the 90th minute when Norman Piper equalised with a diving header. Gutted. I was based in Portsmouth at that time so had to put up with serious stick from all the Pompey fans at work who were telling me they'd slaughter us in the replay. Fratton Park had a full house for that game and the way they had played in the first game, they truly expected to win. We beat 'em 3 - 0. We played Wolves in the fifth round and were put out 0 - 3 by a John Richards hat trick but the scoreline flattered Wolves. We were better than that.

We were drawn away at Colchester in the third round in '84. Cracking match. Les Berry had the game of his life. Towering performance. And the game was won by a joke of an own goal by former Manyoo central defender Stewart Houston who prodded a long clearance by Berry back towards where he thought his goalkeeper was, but wasn't. Ooops.

I remember Alan Shearer telling the BBC how negative Charlton were when we played them in Round 3 during their Premiership winning season, and how much he was looking forward to getting stuck into the Charlton defence back at Ewood in the replay. Darren Pitcher's 1st half strike was enough to win the game for us. Oi, Shearer.... shut your mouth..!!

Just a few fond memories from down the years. Yeah, there have been disappointments. The defeat at Middlesbrough was crushing. I don't think I spoke a single word in the car all the way home. I was too gutted. We came so close to beating Ipswich at the Valley when they were managed by Bobby Robson and had the likes of Muhren, Wark and Gates in the team. We were bottom of the second division at the time... but we led 2 - 1 at half time and it was so close.... so close...

Lots of matches over many years. I could write more, but I won't. For now.

I've forgotten just as many of our cup exploits because they were rotten matches or because we didn't turn up and just got humped on the day. Yeah, that happens and it sucks, but hey... Nobody ever said being a Charlton supporter is for the faint hearted. If you can't hack it, go buy a Chelsea shirt and jump ship. There's plenty of room for glory seekers at the Bridge.

The FA Cup is about occasions that make memories. The memories can be made at places like Fratton Park on a chilly January Wednesday night, or a dank Saturday afternoon in Colchester. It doesn't matter where it is or who the opposition are. What matters is how it sticks in the memory.

If Bob Peeters says the FA Cup matters I'll take him at his word. He may be bullshitting us all and it wouldn't surprise me if he was, but for now, I'll travel up for the Blackburn game prepared to believe.

You never know.... something might happen that's worth remembering.

Remember Pompey at home..30,000+?
  • Options
    Spurs away in 84 is probably my favourite Cup game. Flanagan at the end - so close.
  • Options

You really are a looney aren't you?

"I AM NOT A LOONY!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw