Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite or worst Xmas song

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Even the Christians wait until Advent!
  • Options

jeesus, spose it'll be non f ing stop CHRISTmas bollox from here until eternity!!!!!!!!

Who recorded that?
    Grateful Dead.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    It’s got to be “Christmas Wrapping” by The Waitresses closely followed by “Fairytale of New York”.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Favourite by a long way is Gaudete by Steeleye Span......Maddy Priors voice is superb...... 2004 live version is fabulous.
  • Options
    Let’s be honest.....all Xmas songs are shit.

FA / World Cup songs are better.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Before @i_b_b_o_r_g drops another bollock and starts another new Xmas thread, I’ll just resurrect this one

My favourite Xmas song is still saviours day by sir Cliff

The best song and video ever dedicated to Xmas

How can you have the good taste to support Charlton and then like Cliff Richard's music? Everything he's done since The Young Ones has been complete and utter shite.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Good ones: 'I want an alien for Christmas' by Fountains of Wayne;
    'Christmas Wrapping' by The Waitresses;
    'I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake;
    'X-M@$' by Corey Taylor (nsfw);
    'It's Christmas Time' by Status Quo;
    'Do You Believe In Miracles?' by Slade
    plus the preeminent Slade and Wizzard songs, obviously.

Worst: christmas lights by coldplay is without doubt one of the most stomach churningly vile excrescences ever committed in art or media - I'd sooner listen to Mistletoe & Wine on endless repeat until my final breath than ever hear chris martin's atonal mewling even once more.
  • Options

cabbles said:

Before @i_b_b_o_r_g drops another bollock and starts another new Xmas thread, I’ll just resurrect this one

How can you have the good taste to support Charlton and then like Cliff Richard's music? Everything he's done since The Young Ones has been complete and utter shite.
    I don't remember him in the Young Ones, what character did he play?
  • Options
    bbob said:

cabbles said:

I don't remember him in the Young Ones, what character did he play?
    He played with the young ones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m generally a real sad sack for Christmas tunes and love Slade, Wizard, Greg Lake and many more, but Bruce and Santa Claus is coming to Town Stands out for me. Jonah Louie, Stop the Cavalry gets an honorable mention.
    Dislike Mistletoe and Wine, sorry Cliff and please don’t play any Bony M
  • Options
    Not sure if posted already but 2 of my favorites
    https://youtu.be/fh79619xxk8
    https://youtu.be/mxVo5mjK4eg
  • Options
    Any sung by children unless it's your own kids
  • Options

Any sung by children unless it's your own kids

Disagree there myself. The sound of hearing kids in unison sing songs is actually heart-warming. Well it is to me and may only apply to primary school kids in the school I teach so may be biased but it brings a chill to my spine. In a good way. Bless 'em.

However. Last Friday in assembly they all sang Deck the Halls as guided by the music teacher I refused as it was November 10th. Far too early!!

Anyway my favourite Xmas song is Slade
    Agree with those who hate Cliff Richard. I'm actually not a fan of that Wizzard song neither.
  • Options
    Best

Shakin Stevens - Merry Christmas Everyone

Worst

The Darkness - Christmas Time

• Options

Favourite by a long way is Gaudete by Steeleye Span......Maddy Priors voice is superb...... 2004 live version is fabulous.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options

I’m generally a real sad sack for Christmas tunes and love Slade, Wizard, Greg Lake and many more, but Bruce and Santa Claus is coming to Town Stands out for me. Jonah Louie, Stop the Cavalry gets an honorable mention.
    Dislike Mistletoe and Wine, sorry Cliff and please don’t play any Bony M

Stands out for me too and the radio gets turned off asap before his woefully offkey rasping forces my to pull my own teeth out to lessen the pain, heinous.
  • Options
    maybe i just dreamed this but i heard that were moves afoot to get Whams "last christmas " to number 1 ..if so i think it would be very apt

i can stomach most xmas songs apart from The Pogues and Jonah Louis
  • Options
    Papa Chrimbo, and, just for the record hate every Cliff Richard Xmas song, especially Mistletoe and Wine Finally to replicate sm, Bah Humbug
  • Options
    A bit more retro - 'The Christmas Song' by Nat King Cole (or Mel Torme according to taste) usually gets me in the mood for Christmas. They don't write them like that anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May I nominate ALL Christmas songs as the worst Christmas songs if they are played before December?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Generally Christmas songs are one of the few things I hate. Exceptions made for Fairytale of New York and the Waitresses (and any other life-affirming stuff that doesn't pretend everything's great when the day's only a couple of hours long you've got too much to do so you can't just get wrecked).

I think I just remember being miserable around Christmas and all the enforced jollity. Mellowed a bit and feel different now I have kids of my own, but still.... My kids play Xmas songs just to wind me up and I tell them the Pogues one "Happy Christmas my arse, I hope it's our last" is closer to my feelings.

I particularly dislike Slade. If it wasn't everywhere I don't think I'd mind it, but it really gets my goat. To make things worse, my dad gave the kids a battery-powered fluffy dog that plays it years ago and every year it comes out. I'd rather listen to Cliff (and I really dislike the music he's made since the mid 60s).

(edited to add) My favourite music to play on Christmas Day is the Holmes Brothers' Jubilation. Saw them years ago, sadly mostly passed on now. It starts with a song called "Jesus is Alright" and goes through a lot of blues/gospel/country versions of religious songs, like Amazing Grace and Will the Circle be Unbroken.
    I'm not remotely religious, but I like this a lot. Should add it onto the Favourite albums by Musicians of Colour.

• Options
    lolwray said:

maybe i just dreamed this but i heard that were moves afoot to get Whams "last christmas " to number 1 ..if so i think it would be very apt

i can stomach most xmas songs apart from The Pogues and Jonah Louis

Some trivia: "Last Christmas" is the biggest selling UK single never to get to number 1.

• Options
    Stop the Cavalry Jona Lewie
  • Options
    Eartha Kitt - I'm getting nuttin for Christmas
    https://youtu.be/TwFkoGzoYm8