Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite or worst Xmas song

Comments

• Options
    I like the Pogues song.

Anything by Sir Cliff turns my stomach.
  • Options
    Favourite:
    Lonely this Christmas - Mud
  • Options
    Cabbles has to be on a wind up.

Anyone who has worked in a retail shop with Christmas songs on a constant loop will hate the lot of them.

Sir Cliff is the absolute worst of the lot.

Lennon and The Pogues are the only songs I can still listen to.
  • Options
    I was in a shop the other day and Merry Xmas Everyone was blasting out - funny I never get tired of that or Wizzards one, although I always think it's a pity most people only know Roy Wood for that one record.

Cliffs effort normally has me reaching for the earplugs.
  • Options
    A couple I like that haven't been mentioned

Saint Etienne's I was born on Christmas Day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdzo_vPnhio

And the very obscure Three Wise Men (i.e. XTC) with Thanks for Christmas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBJRSMP8Uw
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Anyone who has worked in a retail shop with Christmas songs on a constant loop will hate the lot of them.

It's just saviours day. I can't help but like it. As I said at the start of the thread, you get that window into Cliff's utopian Christmas. That video is something people who write comedy try to achieve for years. Yet Cliff effortlessly just has to show us what he thinks Xmas is about, and I find it ingenious.

The only other video I have examined to such an extent was Bronsky Beat, Small Town Boy. It's a story of young man (jimmy Somerville) growing up gay in a time when it was looked down upon. He's at the swimming baths, thinks he catches a guy's eye who is diving from the top board of the pool. Encouraged by this, Jimmy walks into the changing room, gives the guy a longer look in the hope that something will happen. This guy then realises Jimmy is gay and doesn't like it one bit. When he sees Jimmy again he and his mates chase him into an alley and beat him up. The police take Jimmy to his parents, they explain why he was beaten up. Jimmy's mum is upset, his dad can't stand to look at him. Jimmy has to leave town. Jimmy is seen off outside his flat by his mum who is in tears. His dad sort of says goodbye, and gives him a score. Jimmy then gets on a train where it was safer to be himself (London). He's joined by 2 of his mates on the train and they're laughing and excited about their new lives. And then the best thing about this whole video, they actually share an apple.

They share an apple.

It's also a very good tune.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    cabbles said:

red_murph said:

And then the best thing about this whole video, they actually share an apple.

They share an apple.

is it available on itunes?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

red_murph said:

It's just saviours day. I can't help but like it. As I said at the start of the thread, you get that window into Cliff's utopian Christmas. That video is something people who write comedy try to achieve for years. Yet Cliff effortlessly just has to show us what he thinks Xmas is about, and I find it ingenious.

The only other video I have examined to such an extent was Bronsky Beat, Small Town Boy. It's a story of young man (jimmy Somerville) growing up gay in a time when it was looked down upon. He's at the swimming baths, thinks he catches a guy's eye who is diving from the top board of the pool. Encouraged by this, Jimmy walks into the changing room, gives the guy a longer look in the hope that something will happen. This guy then realises Jimmy is gay and doesn't like it one bit. When he sees Jimmy again he and his mates chase him into an alley and beat him up. The police take Jimmy to his parents, they explain why he was beaten up. Jimmy's mum is upset, his dad can't stand to look at him. Jimmy has to leave town. Jimmy is seen off outside his flat by his mum who is in tears. His dad sort of says goodbye, and gives him a score. Jimmy then gets on a train where it was safer to be himself (London). He's joined by 2 of his mates on the train and they're laughing and excited about their new lives. And then the best thing about this whole video, they actually share an apple.

They share an apple.

Nope. Definitely on a wind up.

Bronski Beat's tune is a classic though.
  • Options
    They're all execrable. They make me want to poke my eyes out with a stick soaked in legionnaire's ridden water and dipped in dogshit with worms in.

The absolute worst of all though is that f*@&ing Paul McCuntney one. Every time I hear that stupid 'baow baow baow baow' crap at the beginning I swear a small part of me dies inside
  • Options

cabbles said:

red_murph said:

They share an apple.

I would imagine so but I urge you to watch the video
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That Beyonce Chrostmas song is bloody irritating
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

red_murph said:

They share an apple.

I would imagine so but I urge you to watch the video
    whooosh - thought all the apple references might have given it away?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Best Slade, worst by a mile is that awful Pogues one but it's really cool to say it's your favourite.

Why is it 'cool' to say its your favourite?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

Best Slade, worst by a mile is that awful Pogues one but it's really cool to say it's your favourite.

I think I know what @Riviera means about this - there is definitely music snobbery abound in modern society and some people would look down their nose at people who dislike certain songs that have, in pop culture, become generally accepted as being great.
    Just look at the shit @cabbles‌ is getting for daring to disagree with the majority. You don't have to agree, but he's entitled to enjoy someone's music, even if you think it's dirge.
  • Options

They're all execrable. They make me want to poke my eyes out with a stick soaked in legionnaire's ridden water and dipped in dogshit with worms in.

The absolute worst of all though is that f*@&ing Paul McCuntney one. Every time I hear that stupid 'baow baow baow baow' crap at the beginning I swear a small part of me dies inside

Now I don't mind the odd Christmas song myself, but when I hear the 'baow baow baow" I know exactly what you mean. It's like he wrote it in the bath and recorded it there and then using whatever he found within reach.
    It's just a doodle and should never have come out of his house.
    Still it probably brings him a few bob each Christmas, like he's going to worry eh.
    And I have to admit I like the tune of Saviour's Day. I just hate Cliff and every pious word he utters on it. Like he's worried either! ;-)
  • Options
    cabbles said:

red_murph said:

They share an apple.

And each other's apple fritters.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Riviera said:

I think I know what @Riviera means about this - there is definitely music snobbery abound in modern society and some people would look down their nose at people who dislike certain songs that have, in pop culture, become generally accepted as being great.
    Just look at the shit @cabbles‌ is getting for daring to disagree with the majority. You don't have to agree, but he's entitled to enjoy someone's music, even if you think it's dirge.
    who would've thought so many people we're wrong and don't like saviours day :smile:

That music snobbery comment is very true. For me not necessarily about that Pogues song but more about how deep you can go into a particular genre. I have a mate who is quite into hardcore, metal. When I have gone with him to gigs I'll say to one of his mates that I quite like 'Korn' for example. I get looked at with some sort of reaction as if I'd just shit myself. Korn are deemed too mainstream for their liking.

I can imagine similar conversations all over the country.

The other one that fascinated me was when people about 10 years ago used to tell me they were really into an act called Aphex Twin, usually because they liked the song 'window licker'. I would like to press them on this and say, 'what else do you like of theirs?'. Most couldn't answer, because they didn't really like Aphex Twin, just liked or heard that people liked the song 'window licker', so thought 'oh, they're quite cool, other people seem to be into them, I'll include it in a music based conversation at some point.

No one ever includes saviours day though
  • Options
    I like most of them, but it's probably a lot to do with nostalgia, reminding me of Christmas when I was a kid ( or just younger!).
    Maybe 2000 miles by the Pretenders being the best.
    The second re make of the band aid song is probably my worst.
  • Options
    Favourite - Stop the cavalry

Don't really have a least favourite but there's a lot of shit ones.
  • Options
    The pogues and kirsty maccoll fairytail of new york is my ultimate favourite.to be honest i dont hate any of them with the exception of this years band aid song.what a load of drivel.oh and mariah effing hate it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    TOTP 2 showed George Cole and Dennis Waterman's 'What are we gonna get for er indoors'. I think it takes some beating for worst song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fIubz7tZs
  • Options
    Little Drummer Boy. Pa rum pum pum paah ah oh fuck off. I really do genuinely hate that one.
  • Options
    WayneK said:

cabbles said:

red_murph said:

They share an apple.

And each other's apple fritters.
    Soz - is this slang for something? Genuine question here - if there's a euphemism for arsehole that I don't know about then I'm claiming my money back from Viz because their profanisaurus is incomplete
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Rhyming slang. Not one I've come across though.
  • Options
    Bump. Still saviour's day, Cliff Richard by a mile. I haven't changed over the last year, nor will I.
  • Options
    Last Christmas is great.
  • Options
    Oh Christ, here we go, endless posts about bloody christmas.

you should do the same as the card shops and start last week in September.
  • Options
    Father Christmas Do Not Touch Me by The Goodies makes me smile. I also like Bob Dylan's Must Be Santa and It's Christmas Time Pretty Baby by The King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3AphnJLbE&list=RDhC3AphnJLbE
  • Options
    My favourite is Inadmissable by Bah and the Humbugs. It's about Santa failing to get past US immigration. And them not believing the white powder is snow.
    Second favourite The Christmas Tree From Hell by the same group.
  • Options
    That one by Paul McCartney... Actually makes me hate Christmas