Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA Nations League

Comments

• A load of rubbish really, just more international games which always break up the football season as it is. Good explanation though @Callumcafc
  • Ok so the nations guff replaces the original backdoor 3rd place play off chuff that Scotland/ Ireland /Wales sometimes fail at .
    So will be cheering on Spain to qualify if we come 2nd in the nations and have a mare in the group ?
    Could we come bottom of our Euro qualifying group , second in Spain and Croatia nations group (Spain qualify through Euro group) and then we go through to a Nations play off thingy
    Oh my let’s just qualify normally and leave the other stuff to the chuff
  • A load of rubbish really, just more international games which always break up the football season as it is. Good explanation though @Callumcafc

No more games than usual, just less friendly matches

No more games than usual, just less friendly matches
    Sounded like more games , more often... still international games get in the way of a proper weekend of football. Really enjoyed the world cup and will always get behind the boys but find it rubbish to watch other than the WC/ Euros
  • Far too confusing and it will put off people watching it .
  • September to November is Nations League
    Then throughout 2019 is Euro Qualifying

Forget all the permutations until next year when it will be clear who needs to do what.
    Qualifying is easier than before and even IF a big nation misses out by coming 3rd of the 5 or 6 in their group, they'll get an extra chance.

UEFA like to dress is up that this will give smaller nations a chance to qualify (and it will) but the main reason is to ensure big teams don't miss out.
    A tournament without Italy, Netherlands or England etc. generates a lot less money.
  • Surely they could have simplified it a bit though!
  • edited September 2018
    https://www.vg.no/spesial/2018/nations-league-forklart/

These cool graphics help to visualise what is going on. Unfortunately the words are in Norwegian! We need an English version.

Forget all the permutations until next year when it will be clear who needs to do what.
    Qualifying is easier than before and even IF a big nation misses out by coming 3rd of the 5 or 6 in their group, they'll get an extra chance.

UEFA like to dress is up that this will give smaller nations a chance to qualify (and it will) but the main reason is to ensure big teams don't miss out.
    A tournament without Italy, Netherlands or England etc. generates a lot less money.

At the end of the day, if you want more smaller nations to qualify, you increase the size of the tournament. Make the Euros a 48 country tournament lasting 3 months, and even Scotland might qualifyl

This is a second chance to qualify, but as the groups take place before the main Euro qualifying, I guess UEFA are hoping that countries will try hard to get this in the bank
  • Sponsored links:

At the end of the day, if you want more smaller nations to qualify, you increase the size of the tournament. Make the Euros a 48 country tournament lasting 3 months, and even Scotland might qualifyl

This is a second chance to qualify, but as the groups take place before the main Euro qualifying, I guess UEFA are hoping that countries will try hard to get this in the bank
    Seriously??? ;)
  • I feel like Ireland need to beat Wales tomorrow.

When they have there full team I think Denmark will have enough to beat both teams, but Wales will be facing a Amateur Denmark team, so if Ireland fail to beat Wales tomorrow I could see that group finshing

Wales
    Denmark
    Ireland
  • https://www.vg.no/spesial/2018/nations-league-forklart/

These cool graphics help to visualise what is going on. Unfortunately the words are in Norwegian! We need an English version.

The graphics in this, plus other explanations in this thread should be enough to make it clear for everyone
  • https://www.vg.no/spesial/2018/nations-league-forklart/

If you use chrome as your browser it offers you a translate option and the English is fine.
  • colthe3rd said:

If it was "pointless" friendlies everyone moans.

If it was a qualifying campaign against smaller countries, everyone moans.

A new initiative that allows for qualification, cuts down on friendlies and means more competitive matches. Everyone moans.

Welcome to international football.

If international sides take the games seriously it can be viewed as a success - the over complexity may hinder the engagement IMO.
  • colthe3rd said:

A new initiative that allows for qualification, cuts down on friendlies and means more competitive matches. Everyone moans.

Personally I have no problems with friendlies, as everyone knows where they stand with them. It's good for countries to be able to experiment and blood new players without the pressure of qualifying.

The Nations League risks being a bit in between, with some countries taking them very seriously, and others nor so bothered.
  • colthe3rd said:

If international sides take the games seriously it can be viewed as a success - the over complexity may hinder the engagement IMO.
    I think that's a fair point but it's hard to see how to fit in such a schedule any other way.
  • colthe3rd said:

Seeing that England | Spain | France | Germany | Belgium | Italy have named strong squads you have to think they are taking it seriously

Its not as though either have filled their teams with a load of players with no caps
  • colthe3rd said:

Seeing that England | Spain | France | Germany | Belgium | Italy have named strong squads you have to think they are taking it seriously

Its not as though either have filled their teams with a load of players with no caps
    In fairness though, Spain, France and Germany could probably all name 2 squads and both would be good.
  • Sponsored links:

• As the highest placed team in the A league that hasn't qualified will qualify - if I understand correctly - you can see how a safety net has been created for one big nation that slips up in actual qualifying groups.
  • edited September 2018
    You would expect most in Group A will qualify so you might not need to be that high in the table to get a Euros place. Whereas that will not be the case in Group B where teams are still half decent. Where I can see a problem is the lower groups. Surely you would want to be in the lowest group with teams like San Marino in it if you are placed in the group above! Maybe there shouldn't be a place for the lowest group, but merely the incentive to get promoted to the next group. My head is hurting now so I'll stop!
  • First League A match ends 0-0 between Germany and France.
  • First League A match ends 0-0 between Germany and France.

I watched some of that. It was actually quite an entertaining game.
  • Italy v Poland tomorrow evening at the same time.

Then England v Spain on Saturday.
  • Piatek called up for the first time for Poland. Only young, currently at Genoa, potential to be a complete striker. One to watch for the future.
  • Whos bright idea to put Serbia and Montenegro in the same group??
  • Whos bright idea to put Serbia and Montenegro in the same group??

I dont think there are major political issues between the two else they wouldnt be put together

i.e. Azerbaijan | Armenia ... Spain | Gibraltar ... Albania | Kosovo arent allowed to put into the same Group for that reason